Carbs/Protein

Options
my question is this: I am trying to limit the # of carbs and sugars for a little while and see if this will help with the belly fat. With that said, I am already over on my protein intake for the day and I still have a bunch of calories for the day. Any suggestions on what I should or could eat. Im also going on a bike ride later so I will earn some calories back. Im looking for any guidance you could provide.

Replies

• Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    Excellent question!!! I could use help with that as well!!!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    What amount of protein do you have for the day? Should be somewhere around 75 grams. Myfitnesspal is set very low and you need about half your weight's worth of protein.
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    You can change the percentages of carbs, proteins, and fats if you click on "goals" and then click on "customize". Good luck!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Give this test a try... once you answer the questions it actually gives you the percentages of proteins, carbs and fats... then you can go in and change your goals (customize) and set MFP accordingly in order to follow. I did and am very happy with the results:bigsmile: .:flowerforyou:

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    If you're at your 'limit' in protein, you're left with either carbs or fat (or alcohol!) for calories. Instead of limiting carbs, why not just swap the refined carbs (sugars, flours, most white foods) for healthier carbs like fruits/veggies/whole grains? It gets confusing if you try to count sugar grams on MFP because fruit has sugar, but it's also wrapped in fiber (which helps prevent the blood sugar spike/crash) and tons of nutrients that will help get your metabolism on track. Berries are your best bet. And don't forget veggies are carbs, too! You don't even need to count them...you could eat your body weight before you'd gain a pound.
  • lilchook
    lilchook Posts: 20
    Options
    this makes sense to me. i always lose weight when i limit carbs but do miss fruit-( bread,crackers etc i would not give you thank you for-) am going to do this test and see where i fit in. i know when i eat lots of grains etc trying to eat"healthy" i get terrible heartburn and crave sweet stuff so maybe this is the answer for me. i only want to lose 6 kgs but just don't seem able to acheive it.
  • stacithomas94
    Options
    You want to eat the complex carbs, like fruit, oatmeal, whole wheat and vegetables. You need to eat the lean proteins. Also start weight training because it helps boost your metablolism and it will build muscle. You may have to adjust how many calories you consume a day because as you lose weight the calories you need are less. You should not have alot of calories at the end of the day. If you log your food and exercise on here they add your workout calories back in. Dont look at that becasue you dont want to eat those calories from the workout becasue thats how you lose weight. That plays a big part as you know. Calories in /out.
  • Laika3
    Laika3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Give this test a try... once you answer the questions it actually gives you the percentages of proteins, carbs and fats... then you can go in and change your goals (customize) and set MFP accordingly in order to follow. I did and am very happy with the results:bigsmile: .:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the link, i've adjusted my goals to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.
    You want to eat the complex carbs, like fruit, oatmeal, whole wheat and vegetables. You need to eat the lean proteins. Also start weight training because it helps boost your metablolism and it will build muscle. You may have to adjust how many calories you consume a day because as you lose weight the calories you need are less. You should not have alot of calories at the end of the day. If you log your food and exercise on here they add your workout calories back in. Dont look at that becasue you dont want to eat those calories from the workout becasue thats how you lose weight. That plays a big part as you know. Calories in /out.

It's actually really important to eat those exercise cals - MFP already works out a deficit for you with regards to the amount of cals you should have each day, if you exercise on top of this then you're increasing the deficit and thats not a good thing in the long term - Eat those exercise cals. There is a lot of good info/resources on these forums which explains this more thoroughly and in better terms than me. :smile:
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options

Great thread! Wow...Thx for the link! :flowerforyou: I'm off to take the quiz right now!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Don't everyone attack me here...but...you need to eat more fat.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    so more protein and way less carbs? i can handle that.
  • irish077
    irish077 Posts: 32
    Options
    Ok,
    I took the quiz, but cant seem to figure out how to customize my settings according to what the results said.
    can anyone help?
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I personally find MFPs protein goals to be way low...I eat anywhere from 85g to 160g of protein a day...as far as carbs, I limit it to about 40 net carbs a day. My carbs all come from veggies and fruit on occasion. I've never seen a negative impact from eating a high amount of lean protein. :smile: