Feeling Dejected.

Options
I don't usually post, But I'm feeling quite low and irritated. I went to the doctor the other day because of pain in my feet. She took blood, and the results showed a Vitamin D deficiency, as well as high cholesterol ( though it has decreased a bit since my last test) and some muscle blood flow thing ( I didn't really understand that part) found in people who over exercise.

When I was first told by my doctor last year that I had high cholesterol, he said ( not very delicately) that it was because I was fat, and needed to lose weight. I'm now 82lbs lighter and exercise regularly- yet I still have high cholesterol, muscle flow issues and have spent a small fortune at the dentist because of gum issues caused by lack of vitamins or some such nonsense.

I'm not sorry that I've lost weight. I just feel really rubbish that I've tried so hard to be healthy, and still end up with these issues. It doesn't seem fair. I still want to lose some more weight, but am apprehensive as to what this may mean for my future health. It sucks. But I'm sure I'll get over it.

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated even at my lowest weight I still had High Cholesterol it can be genetic. You know sometimes you get health issues even when you are fit as anything. I know it happened to me.

Hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain! Although my blood work and BP numbers have gotten better, I'm finding I have more issues with my knees, hips, etc. I guess its part of the cumulative issues of being overweight for so many years, and having lost some, it doesn't seem to have reversed any damage already done. Cholesterol can definitely be hereditary, and you might ttry to focus on the positives. 82 lbs is an amazing amount of weight lost, and there have to be many positives you've experience because of this loss!!
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    You are doing an AMAZING job! 82 pounds is huge!!

I agree, HDL/LDL can be genetic. You would not believe the unhealthy Southern diet my husband was raised on, yet he has very low cholesterol, as does his 93 year old mother.

Your doctor doesn't seem to have the nicest bedside matter - is it possible to switch?

Think of it this way - you have made remarkable changes in your lifestyle - they can only have had a positve impact on your overall health. Body changes take time.

Keep up the very good work. :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?

Are you taking any vitamins?

Have you seen a nutritionist?

You can up your vitamin D by taking supplements. I think it's naturally found in salmon and eggs, too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have lost so much weight but it doesn't sound like you are getting the nutrition you need in your diet.
  • oskeeter1
    oskeeter1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should honestly be so proud of yourself. Losing 82 pounds is HUGE.

I second the other posters - drop the doctor and find one that's more supportive. While some medical issues are genetic, I bet meeting with a nutritionist would help rectify the nutritional deficiencies that are causing the dental problems (and probably other less noticeable issues). You already have all the food diary information he/she would need to help you.