needs ideas for "irish" theme pot luck

Options

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    This isn't really Irish but I always make 'Irish' nachos for St Pats parties. You just top fries with cheese, jalapenos, green onion & crumbled bacon... they go fast.

Corned beef & cabbage is a US thing, I always make that too...

I love colcannon you can google it, lot's of recipes out there.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Isn't Corned beef and cabbage an exclusively Irish-American dish? I did not think it was typically served in Ireland.

No, we;re not big on corned beef but we do 'bubble and squeak' which is boiled ham and cabbage, the corned beef thing I assume is a bastardisation that happened when we moved to the US...Nobody really eats that though, I mean it's traditional Irish but not very common. Irish stew, beef and Guinness pie, anything with potatoes are all traditional.....

ETA to add, proper mashed potatoes, not the kind from a box. Every time I go to the US I find it nearly impossible to get decent mashed potatoes or colcannon. Bangers and mash is actually English in origin..

If you're having chips (fries) a good Irish sauce is whiskey and mushroom sauce, it's lush! And hot whiskeys....lots of 'em....
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Guinness
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    'lucky charms' and cabbage and corned beef are definitely not irish

for authentic irish food just stew something to death and serve with at least 2 different potato sides, or alternatively just have potatoes
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Colcannon would be my choice-- mashed potatoes with cabbage in them.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you have bacon and sausage, look up coddle.
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for Reuben Dip on allrecipes.com that I'm going to try. Looks yummy!
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    bumping this to plan my st pattys weekend meals!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Lucky charms, whiskey, potatoes, and a bible.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    Ps It's not St Patty's Day....it's St Paddy's Day. Nobody says St Patty's Day except Americans.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Lucky charms, whiskey, potatoes, and a bible.

six children and a side of guilt :bigsmile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea. Don't Do Potluck. :sick:

everyone bringing food from all over town sitting in cars with foods getting at all the wrong temps.

use online paying service like paypal or propay to collect everyone's money and have one person order a caterer who's obligation it is to serve good food at the best temp at the right time. that's if your broke.

IF you're not broke, bailey's, o'douls, and shamrock shakes for days. oh and irish whiskey cheddar.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Booze!
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    Black and Tan brownies is so sick it's amazing someone would even as a joke say that
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    Black and Tan brownies is so sick it's amazing someone would even as a joke say that

I was thinking the same thing... that's in really poor taste and very offensive.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea. Don't Do Potluck. :sick:

everyone bringing food from all over town sitting in cars with foods getting at all the wrong temps.

use online paying service like paypal or propay to collect everyone's money and have one person order a caterer who's obligation it is to serve good food at the best temp at the right time. that's if your broke.

IF you're not broke, bailey's, o'douls, and shamrock shakes for days. oh and irish whiskey cheddar.

out of curiosity, why O'Doul's? You obviously not against alcohol with your inclusion of Bailey's.
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    Some of its ok all in good fun but the Black and Tan were a bunch of murdering *kitten*
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Some of its ok all in good fun but the Black and Tan were a bunch of murdering *kitten*

Another cultural difference. I was confused as to why you thought that was offensive, until I saw your second post. I've never heard of the group you mentioned.

From wikipedia: Black and Tan is a drink made from a blend of pale ale and a dark beer such as a stout or porter, most often Guinness. Sometimes a pale lager is used instead of ale; this is usually called a half and half. Contrary to common North American belief, however, Black and Tan as a mixture of two beers is not a term commonly used in Ireland[1] due to the association with the Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve Force, nicknamed the Black and Tans.

We're using the first definition...