I slipped up and now I feel bad

Options
So I get off and work and go to the gym, I burn 430 calories doing 33 minutes on the Elliptical trainer and feel good. I pick my daughter up and head home.
When I get home, I notice that there were Little Debbie Strawberry Shortcake rolls sitting on the counter, more than likely for my kids.
I was awfully tempted to have one and and I gave in. Now I feel awful for slipping up.
This is the first time I have slipped up in two months. I have had very little junk food in the last few months and I'm happy about that.
I have head that you don't want to cut out "junk food" completely, just have it in moderation because if you cut it out totally, you'll end up binging way too much at some point.
I do feel bad but I probably shouldn't. Right?

Replies

• Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    You shouldn't feel bad but I totally understand where you're coming from. Think of it as an attaboy treat! :)
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. You made a mistake and just remember tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up! It happens to everyone. If I am good for two weeks, I give myself a cheat meal.

You body likes a schedule and runs on one. If you eat well all the time and eat badly once it will ignore that one day and continue on as it has always.

It's okay!!!
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Been there done that many times! Yes do not cut out junk food because you will binge and binge bad. I did not allow myself to eat my fav. food and ending up eating a whole box of cookies so give into your craving once in a while but just don't over do it. And don't feel bad it is hard to be good all the time.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Oh Gorefan, we have all been there....everything in moderation is definitely the key. Sounds like you overdue for a treat.

As sagithia says, tomorrow is another day....
  • kawade80
    kawade80 Posts: 44
    Options
    Don't feel bad. We all cave every once in a while.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You are preaching to the choir! I bombed BIG time this week. So I feel your pain. You should allow yourself a treat now and then or you will go crazy like I did on the weekend. I think I consumed an entire days worth of calories during a 5 hour party. Don't be so hard on yourself. Get back on track as soon as possible. Go for a walk this evening or do a workout DVD...anything.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I thought that was going to progress into "and then I ate the whole pack." Simply because that sounds like something I would do. But one? Pssshhh. If you make foods like that completely taboo you are more likely to slip up and eat them. If you need a sweet or something not-so-healthy, just make sure to track it.
  • ashley0424
    ashley0424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I have been doing really good on my diet and excercise for the last 3 weeks but this weekend was really bad for me and now I feel terrible ( I've cried 2x today). I'm hoping that getting right back on track this week will help and so it should for you too. Keep on trucking and don't let a little slip up ruin all of your hard work. Let this be a lesson for the future temptations and remember they might not be worth the guilt in the long run. I for one will be hibernating until July 4th, after this weekends fiasco!
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would feel the same way. When I'm not perfect I get upset too. However, you did at least exercise! It might make you feel better to add some time to your workout tomorrow. That is what I do.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't get mad over little things. You worked out, so hopefully you haven't eaten all your exercise calories yet and you can just throw it into your food diary and then still stay within your calories for the day.
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    Don't kick yourself AT ALL!!!! As I have been told on here and by friends----You have to allow yourself some TREAT otherwise you will just go on an all out binge.... :)--
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Don't kick yourself AT ALL!!!! As I have been told on here and by friends----You have to allow yourself some TREAT otherwise you will just go on an all out binge.... :)--

....or you might just go crazy! :laugh:
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. Just log it and keep going. This is a lifestyle change and you will have many more moments where you may want something and give in. Everything is fine in moderation :smile:
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm very impressed. I find it is far easier to say no to the first one than to say no to the second one. You should feel great you have the self control to each just one and stop. Sure you ate something that really had no value to your physical body but as long as you keep those treats to occasionally and maintain the self control to have just one, there is nothing to be ashamed of and in fact should be proud.
  • gorefan82
    gorefan82 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the responses. I certainly do feel better now! :)
    I still have 1700 calories I can eat if need be and I know that I probably won't even come close to that!
    You all are AWESOME.
    Thanks again!!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    So I get off and work and go to the gym, I burn 430 calories doing 33 minutes on the Elliptical trainer and feel good. I pick my daughter up and head home.
    When I get home, I notice that there were Little Debbie Strawberry Shortcake rolls sitting on the counter, more than likely for my kids.
    I was awfully tempted to have one and and I gave in. Now I feel awful for slipping up.
    This is the first time I have slipped up in two months. I have had very little junk food in the last few months and I'm happy about that.
    I have head that you don't want to cut out "junk food" completely, just have it in moderation because if you cut it out totally, you'll end up binging way too much at some point.
    I do feel bad but I probably shouldn't. Right?

No, you did not eat the whole box so don't feel bad at all! I agree that you can't cut it all out or you will feed deprived. Plus you did work out and still have cals left too. I don't think weight loss / healthy means NO SNACKS OR JUNK FOOD! Allow yourself some sometimes - like I said - it's when you eat the whole box in 1-2 days that you have slipped up! (been there!!)

Side note - do you have a HRM? 400+ cal on the elliptical in 30 mins seems high. If you are going by the machine read out or this site you might be overestimating. I usually burn 500 or between 5 and 6 in an hour of high heart rate - per my HRM