Trouble eating my calories!

Options
cccng
cccng Posts: 16 Member
HELP. I need to eat at least 1200 calories, plus more when I exercise, which will be 4-5 times/week. My problem is that I can never make up the 1200 calories! It's usually 1000 or less. Not intentionally! I eat every 2-3 hours, and I always feel full. I do NOT want to go into starvation mode. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. (I'm sure, like many of you MFPer's out there!) I eat as clean as possible, and I try to balance out everything. And the clean foods I eat (think BIG salads, fruits, yogurts, bran, milk, lean meats, veggies) are all very filling, I'm not hungry, and I STILL eat under my recommended calories! Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do??? Any snacks that you have that help you maintain your 1200 (or whatever your number may be)???

Starvation mode scares me, I want to see numbers decrease, not stay the same. HELP ME!!!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Almonds, pistachios, walnuts. Pumpkin seeds are also very good for you. Try the raw, unroasted, unsalted, PLAIN kind. You can usually get them from those dispensers at your grocery store. I know kroger has all of those, as well as whole foods. They're easy ways to eat up calories without getting too full. Also, nuts and seeds have fats in them that are great for our hearts and for helping us lose weight!

The one thing that has helped me eat closer to my base calories (and when I exercise a lot) is to put in your full day's worth of food AND exercise (just guess what you'll burn based on previous work outs or readings on your HRM if you have one) and then spread out the "extra" you have left to all your meals & snacks so you're not just eating more at one particular meal or snack. That way you won't feel too stuffed. Little things add up. Bananas are typically 100 calories each and an easy way to bring up your numbers for breakfast (or even replacing or adding to a snack). I've found it easier to fit in my fruits & veggies now that I increased my calories and they take up a little bit of my calories too.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    when you eat big salads, are you sure you're counting the dressing properly? Most dressings will add a couple hundred calories, easy. it's not too hard to eat a thousand-calorie salad if you're not careful with the amount of dressing and grilled chicken and croutons you put on top.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just posted about this problem earlier... except I have more calories to eat than you... at least 1400, but sometimes as much as 1700 including exercise calories!

I'm going to just buy regular versions of things... eat my favorite salad dressings n such... just measure the portions. I'm having a hard time with my protein req's.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Besides what others have mentioned, another way to get in more calories is to eat full-fat versions of milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. That is assuming you aren't going over 30% fat a day doing that! :) I know that has helped me some on days I haven't been able to eat all of my calories.
  • cccng
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Here's my problem: I eat almonds (plain, unsalted... yum yum!) but my protein always seems so high at the end of the day! Like 30 grams over!!! BUT all of my other levels are really good! I have 10-15 almonds a day. I like the idea of adding in fruits too - usually I'll have a banana and a tbsp of my homemade peanut butter post-exercise or at night, when I'm the hungriest, and that fixes it until I wake up! And I'm STILL under my calories!
  • cccng
    Options
    I don't use dressings. Sometimes I'll sprinkle balsalmic on it, but usually I use hot sauce! (I put it on everything now... adds flavor and is 1 calorie!) I'm almost thinking that adding some dressing will help.
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    Olive oil to cook your foods will help, I had the same problem. Protein shake will add calories and Whey protein is lean. I get 40% of calories from protein... if you are trying to add muscle and lifting weight you need 1 gram per pound of body weight. Do't feel bad goin over in protein as long as it is lean. Add flax to oatmeal or a protein shake.
  • cccng
    Options
    Olive oil to cook your foods will help, I had the same problem. Protein shake will add calories and Whey protein is lean. I get 40% of calories from protein... if you are trying to add muscle and lifting weight you need 1 gram per pound of body weight. Do't feel bad goin over in protein as long as it is lean. Add flax to oatmeal or a protein shake.

Awesome ideas! Thanks!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Do you do smootthies? I find in the evening especially now that it is hot, I like a ice cold smoothie,...full of good stuff, not overly high in fat or calories but just enough.....didn't know if you are a fan of pumpkin or not but I had posted a pumpkin smoothie, tastes just like eating a slice of pumpkin pie, yum!! Also the suggestion of nuts was also good (I love almonds, just don't over do it because they are loaded with fat).

SW 228 CW 198 (2wks on MFP) GW 175
  • cccng
    Options
    Do you do smootthies? I find in the evening especially now that it is hot, I like a ice cold smoothie,...full of good stuff, not overly high in fat or calories but just enough.....didn't know if you are a fan of pumpkin or not but I had posted a pumpkin smoothie, tastes just like eating a slice of pumpkin pie, yum!! Also the suggestion of nuts was also good (I love almonds, just don't over do it because they are loaded with fat).

I'll check your recipe, I love smoothies. Thanks!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    when you eat big salads, are you sure you're counting the dressing properly? Most dressings will add a couple hundred calories, easy. it's not too hard to eat a thousand-calorie salad if you're not careful with the amount of dressing and grilled chicken and croutons you put on top.

Lemon juice is the best dressing! Anyone looking to keep their salads low cal should try it!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for not reaching your cals is always: Peanut Butter - One to three bites and you have bridged the gap between under 1000 and at 1200! You won't even notice it that much as far as being too full etc. 100 calories per tablespoon, and providing you get the right kind - good for you!
  • cccng
    Options
    My suggestion for not reaching your cals is always: Peanut Butter - One to three bites and you have bridged the gap between under 1000 and at 1200! You won't even notice it that much as far as being too full etc. 100 calories per tablespoon, and providing you get the right kind - good for you!

Thanks!!! I made my own peanut butter and it's delish. I guess I shouldn't feel bad then about taking an extra spoonful or 2! :happy: