I feel like I am cheating!

Options
when I eat my exercise calories I feel as if I am cheating!! Also I am not losing weight as a matter of fact I gained 3 over the past 2 weeks and I can't help but to think I shouldn't be eating those extra exercise calories.... I am hungrier though when I work out.... Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Kristina

Replies

• Lightonmyfeet
    Options
    What kinds of food are you eating? I find myself feeling guilty even under my calorie limit if I had something unhealthy.
    Also, how many calories are you consuming? Your body might be in starvation mode.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor or just looking here for calories? If you use a heart rate monitor it will give you a more accurate account of your calories burnt (on here it is just an average so could be off for your particular effort).

You should eat them though! Perhaps you need to up your water intake, lower your sodium? If you are working out HARD and then weighing yourself after that you could be retaining water.
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Oh yeah, like the PP said, make sure it is fruits and veggies and yummy healthy stuff you are eating back. :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle and your body fat loss hasn't caught up yet and that's why you gained. Have you been lifting weights or doing strength training at all?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Your body craves protein after a good workout. Treat yourself to a glass of Over The Moon chocolate milk, a larabar, or a bologna sandwich :)
  • gking72
    gking72 Posts: 7
    Options
    One of the most imporatant things to remember to eat at least six times per day and avoid bad carbs high in sugar...becuase that can lead to weight gain... Try to avoid your fast foods and sweets.....I know for me I try to eat my largest meal at lunch...my pre mixed protein shakes are great way to relieve hunger especially after a workout or when yu need a late night snack.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    for the most part I am eating decent foods or at least smart snacks.... I am using the machine to tell me what calories burned (elliptical) hope its accurate... I usually have a protein shake after the work out... I do think my legs are toning up nicely but I can't imagine I am gaining muscle just yet.... been on this journey since 2-18-10.

I probably could drink more water... I will have to keep a close eye on my sodium...

Any more feedback would be great! Thank you all :)
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Posted this a few minutes ago with regard to another post, but it applies to yours as well:flowerforyou:

The exercise calculators are a rough estimate, at best. How much you burn depends on so many factors, other than just your body weight (i.e. % of body fat/lean, gender, training level). Tracking every calorie in is challenging enough...trying to track the calories out can get very obsessive, and is often inaccurate. Calories balance out over the days, weeks, and months...not just in a 24-hour period.

1. Eat between 1400-1800 QUALITY calories a day (not junk low-calorie food). The # of calories depends on your body weight, and MFP has a good calculator for it.
    2. 5-6 days a week, exercise so that you break a sweat, but people around you are not holding cell phones ready to call 911. After you have built a solid aerobic base for a couple of months, you can increase the intensity, but resist the urge to do it too soon. The stress hormones created at high-intensity cardio will undermine your ability to burn fat. Higher intensity is great, and burns fat in people who are trained for it. A signal that you're not trained for it? You will CRAVE sugar later in the day, and your hunger will increase.
    4. Clip on a pedometer and be sure to get *at least* 10k steps a day in just moving-around general activity stuff. (Many people work out hard at the gym, and then sit for a majority of the day...the sedentary athlete syndrome). The 10k steps includes your workout.
    5. Add some strength training at least twice a week to boost your metabolism.

Steer clear of processed foods and sugar whenever possible. Food talks to your cells...be sure it's telling them to burn fat, not store it. Real food is your best bet.

And lastly, DON'T try to lose more than 2 pounds in a week:-) I know you've heard that before, and it's easy for us to get impatient. But if you lose more than that, you're just trading short-term weight loss for long-term metabolism slowing. Be patient, and be good to yourself.
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    If you have been exercising since February you are most definately gaining muscle!:drinker:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    for the most part I am eating decent foods or at least smart snacks.... I am using the machine to tell me what calories burned (elliptical) hope its accurate... I usually have a protein shake after the work out... I do think my legs are toning up nicely but I can't imagine I am gaining muscle just yet.... been on this journey since 2-18-10.

I probably could drink more water... I will have to keep a close eye on my sodium...

Any more feedback would be great! Thank you all :)
    People who get HRMs find that machines are anywhere from 20-30% higher than the actual calories burned. So if you're going to eat your exercise calories only eat 50-80% of them to keep from overeating. But you should eat them as it provides your body with fuel it needs to function. Not eating them increases your calories deficit that MFP already gives you and if it puts you below a net of 1200 calories per day you could be "starving" your body to the point where it slows down your metabolism to conserve energy.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I am using the machine to tell me what calories burned (elliptical) hope its accurate...

Depending on the machine they can be way off. The True Striders at my gym say I burned 800 when it's more like 450 per my HRM. The regular ellipticals are sometimes 100 or 200 off as well but more acurate than the True Striders - those always have lots of people on them - probably because they think they are burning more than 2x their actual calories! I would recommend

1) estimate really low on your exercise and eat back those calories. Don't forget to subtract from your workout what you would have burned anyway - since that is already calculated in your allotment (ie, my 1500 cals a day already assumes I am using about 100 cals that hour just being awake, so if I burn 250 at the gym - that's really 150 EXTRA - I shouldn't eat all 250.)

2) lower your calories and listen to your body on where it tells you to stop. I was about 500 under for 3 days in a row and by Sunday I was so low on energy that I did not even want to get off the couch. And I am usually a high energy / busy sort of person... but all I did this weekend was watch TV because I was drained. I am sure it is from 3-4 days of being under 500-600 calories.

3)Get a HRM if possible. Or, compare your height / weight with others - you can post and people can tell you what they usually burn and you can get a basic idea if you are close or off - granted, it's far from science, but if you say, I am 5'9 and 160 and burn 750 cals on the elliptical in 35 minutes I can pretty much corroborate that that is wrong :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    reality check! thank you all for your time and advice! I think I know what I need to do... wish me luck- I so am ready to achieve this goal of weight loss!! I don't want to give up! and I will not!!!