The Fast Diet - thoughts?

Options
Just read about this on NYTimes.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/fashion/england-develops-a-voracious-appetite-for-a-new-diet.html?src=me&ref=general

Any thoughts? You eat what you like 5 days a week and then very low calorie (almost fasting) 2 days a week.

I might try it just to change things up.

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It's also called Intermittent fasting, there's a few people are here that do it. Never tried it myself, though....
  • newme2105
    newme2105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    the horizon film is available on the internet it is called Eat Fast and Live well. I watched it yesterday and started straightaway. I have felt a lot less bloated today and found it easy to stick close to calorie guides today whereas on Saturday I ate nearly 3000 calories! So I am hopeful it could help. A lot of religious practice suggest fasting too which I find interesting:smile:
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too! Today is my first day 'fasting' at 500 calories. I'm going to try and do it for a month and see how it goes!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know that I couldn't do it because I would over indulge on the five days. I could easily do the fast days. I am not going to risk it. Eating healthy (ish) and keeping my calories around 1200 each day has helped me to get into a healthier routine. Good luck to you.
  • lizofwisconsin
    lizofwisconsin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started also, first fast day went well, and although I felt hungry, it did subside as folks have said. Food sure did taste good this morning! I plan to keep using Myfitnesspal on days off till I get to my goal, just to keep track of how much I'm eating on those days.
  • newme2105
    newme2105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started it on sunday - and the last 2 days I have been much better at keeping close to my calorie goal. Tomorrow is another "fast day" I am planning to eat the same as Sunday although I may add some low calorie fruit in to keep me going at work. I've lost 3lb this week so far and my fat percentage on the scales is already dropping. I have about 6 stone to lose though so am hoping that I may get that "first week" of a diet boost!
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day and honestly it was great. I felt a little hungry, but not starving. I ate the same grams of protein on a "regular" day so I think that helped to stabilize my blood sugar. I also jogged when I got home - I felt super hyper at night - that was the only real noticeable difference. Oh, and the scale went down 2 lbs today - but I'm sure it was mostly water.

This is what I ate:

Breakfast (7:30am)
    Two large eggs, scrambled
    1 oz smoked salmon
    Coffee, splash of ff half and half

Starbucks grande blonde, splash of cream, splenda

Midday (1:30pm)
    Cosi pollo e pasta - medium size - (122 cals)
    Diet coke

Dinner (6:30pm)
    4 oz sauteed chicken breast in garlic, 1 tsp EVOO, light soy sauce
    2 c. of fresh spinach sauteed

Herbal Mint Tea

My next fasting day is tomorrow. I'm keeping it up for a month. My problem is that I'll lose 5 lbs - then gain it back the next month (I was away on 2 weeks vacation in Feb) and then lose it again the following month - so, I need a little kick start for my metabolism.

We shall see!