30 DS and Knees

Options
I was interested in starting the 30DS, but I was poking around some reviews and I came across quite a lot that basically said the workouts are HORRIBLE on your knees and can very well lead to injury.

WELL, thanks to years and years of soccer, I already don't have the greatest knees.

What are all your thoughts about the validity of the 30DS causing knee problems?

Should i stay away from it?

Replies

• eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees. Only done level 1. I just modified it and did what I could. Did modified jumping jacks, squats? Well i am getting better but I usually do assisted ones separately. The weights and ab part was not a problem. Did her last chance workout recently and had no problem cept for the jumping parts. I just marched in place. Was quite a workout with the weights as the lightest ones I have are 5 lbs. The shoulder moves I was only doing 1 rep to their 2 but I finished it and could feel it next day.

Just do what you can, important thing is to do it.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have done the Shred numerous times and do all the rest of Jillians workouts. I have a bad knee and they only time it hurt was if I was not paying attention to the workout. She gives you tips durning it to not overextend the knee and so on, listen to that and you will be fine. I did the modified workout for the first two days then did the normal way. Also I wear good running shoes when I do them and seriously do the stretching at the end I did not and hurt myself. Good Luck :)
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing... my knee can't take lunges : ( or too much jumping
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 DS, and I have a bum knee. I have been modifying things a little. During the jumping jacks, I do my arms and "step-touch" side to side. During the butt kicks, I march or do more of the "step-touch". That way, it's a lot lower impact on my knees, but I still keep moving. I'm just getting started and still quite a big gal, so I still keep my heart rate revved up with my modifications. During the lunges and squats, I just do what I can. When my knee tells me it can't take any more, I continue with the arms and stand still. I want to keep up with the workout, but I have to protect myself as well. When I work out at the gym, I am making sure to do use the leg curl machine and leg press. Strengthening the muscles that hold your knee joint can really help if you have weak knees. Also, if you google it, you will find lots of places with simple exercises designed to strengthen weak knee joints.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have done the Shred numerous times and do all the rest of Jillians workouts. I have a bad knee and they only time it hurt was if I was not paying attention to the workout. She gives you tips durning it to not overextend the knee and so on, listen to that and you will be fine. I did the modified workout for the first two days then did the normal way. Also I wear good running shoes when I do them and seriously do the stretching at the end I did not and hurt myself. Good Luck :)

Same here, I have a bad knee and I had no problems with any of Jillians DvD's. You'll lose a good bit of weight doing the 30 day shred, you won't regret it! :) My bum knee and my wrist have both gotten better with exercise.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was interested in starting the 30DS, but I was poking around some reviews and I came across quite a lot that basically said the workouts are HORRIBLE on your knees and can very well lead to injury.

WELL, thanks to years and years of soccer, I already don't have the greatest knees.

What are all your thoughts about the validity of the 30DS causing knee problems?

Should i stay away from it?

Stay away! I have knee issues too. And JM is very mean and nasty and tells you EVERYONE can do jumping jacks, even people at 400 pounds so don't be a wuss. But NO, you have to protect your knees. Without functional knees, where are you?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I would be careful.
    Every time I see a commecial I think to myself "that would hurt my knees".
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I see people are telling you that they have knee issues too and have done the shred, but listen to your own knees. Mine told me NO F**ING WAY! Loud and clear. Listen to yours. You can try it on YouTube for no $ obligation. But simply put, if you can't do lots of jumping jacks, this is not for you.
  • DarkshineGirl
    Options
    I had knee issues when I tried 30DS last night for the first time and ended up having to cut it short (old injury from a car accident 9 years ago). I've got a knee brace that I need to dig out and wear, I'm going to see if it helps me last longer through the workout. Maybe looking into knee supports in addition to modifying the not-so-knee-friendly moves will help?
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Stay away! I have knee issues too. And JM is very mean and nasty and tells you EVERYONE can do jumping jacks, even people at 400 pounds so don't be a wuss. But NO, you have to protect your knees. Without functional knees, where are you?

If you have problems with jumping jacks, just do plank jacks during the jumping jacks. At least you're still moving, and working it out.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I got through level 1 just fine but when I went to level 2 my knee bothered me a lot so I stopped. Do what you feel you need to do. I would suggest not trying it and try to find a more "friendly" workout.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees from 16 years of competitive dancing, but did not find the shred to be too difficult on them. Do what you can if you're committed to doing it. Try it on Youtube first, as others have said.

Also, if you're doing it on carpet, buy shoes with little traction on the bottom. It will help.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I'm looking forward to trying it !!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    After five days, I suddenly had problems with my left knee, which has always been my bad knee. It popped out of its socket in high school. I took a day off and then wore my knee brace last night. It seems to be doing better. I suggest giving it a try, and if you feel any strain on your knees, either find a way around it or do another system. I'm going to see how it is tonight.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i guess it really depends on each person and what type of issue they have with their knees. mine almost used to give way each time i tried 30 day shred. I have found now that as I have been exercising more my knees are not an issue, so may have been the case for me they just need strengthing abit after years and years of doing nothing.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have dodgy knees and am doing 30DS for the second time now, having completed it just before Christmas. I've found that if you do some additional warm up stretching beforehand (particularly the circles with hands on knees at the start of her warm up), and do the modified version on moves you find painful, it does make it easier on the knees.
    Everyone's body is different, there will be things on Level 3 that you find easy and things on Level 1 you find hard, trying is the most important move of all though, good luck! x
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I wanted to update on my above post. I was gentle with the moves that bothered my knees for another day and kept wearing my knee brace. I did my final day of level 1 today without any modifications and it didn't bother my knee at all (I still wore my brace). Be cautious, but I did manage to stop all of the problems I was experiencing. We'll see about level 2.