Question about daily activity

Options
When I was signing up it asked me: How would you describe your normal daily activities?
I am a custodian so I chose "active" instead of "very active"

I took my heart rate monitor to work the other day (I'm a custodian) and i burned 1522 calories. Is that considered "active"?

Replies

• ltruns
    ltruns Posts: 21
    Options
    I've always wondered to. I'm a gym teacher and track coach so the majority of my day is spent on my feet, walking and demonstrating. I also work out on my own.. so not sure my activity level either. I always err on the side of low.. just bc I always have. But I'd love to know!
  • TylerTrott
    Options
    I've always wondered to. I'm a gym teacher and track coach so the majority of my day is spent on my feet, walking and demonstrating. I also work out on my own.. so not sure my activity level either. I always err on the side of low.. just bc I always have. But I'd love to know!
    Same here.
    Also, I wouldn't type that 1522 in as a workout right? It is already taken into account with the "daily activity"
  • laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've had a little trouble with that too. I work part time at a warehouse. 1-2 days a week I get an extremely difficult, 8 hour work out. Like stacking and loading thousands of boxes of clothes. , and i leave feeling it in every muscle, am i lightly active because i don't do it often enough? The rest of the week I stick with walking, and running crazy with my two year old. I ended up finding somewhere else that asked more specific questions about my activity level.
  • TylerTrott
    Options
    I've had a little trouble with that too. I work part time at a warehouse. 1-2 days a week I get an extremely difficult, 8 hour work out. Like stacking and loading thousands of boxes of clothes. , and i leave feeling it in every muscle, am i lightly active because i don't do it often enough? The rest of the week I stick with walking, and running crazy with my two year old. I ended up finding somewhere else that asked more specific questions about my activity level.
    Can you send me a link?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I dn't like the MFP numbers and ambiguos activity levels.

I like this TDEE calculator:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You can enter the average minutes per day for each level of activity and get a good esitmate of your total calories in a day. A lot of people do that TDEE -20% for their daily caloric goal. I went a bit under it for myself.

My TDEE was around 3400 which minus 20% would be a goal of about 2700. Since MyFitnessPal adds in calories you burn from exercise (which were already added in the TDEE calculation) I subtracted them - so the 2700 minus the 500 calories of exercise per day, which gave me a net goal of around 2200. I still thought that was high since I was only a bit hungry around 1500 net calories I had been doing and losing weight, so I figured around 1800 was the next step to try, with room to wiggle up to that 2400 if needed.

Been doing that the last few weeks and still losing weight. Some days I go over a bit and some days I am under. Feels comfortable though.
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options
    I go on the low side rather than overshoot because it's not strenous activity but I'm fairly on the go all day. HTH
  • laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used the calculator at scooby. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I adjusted it some for me. I just know what they were telling me here was wrong. That told me 1700 a day. This tells me 1200. I picked 1500 and on work days I add calories for a bit of exercise, because that's when I'm really hungry. So I guess I've combined them. Seems a little made up but it makes sense to me.