recommendations for DVD for flexibility

Options
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some specific DVD's for increasing flexibility (not just "do yoga"). When I was growing up, I did gymnastics and ballet and have completely lost my flexibility as an adult. I am open to things that build flexibility in the back and neck, but I'd also like something that helps me with legs and hips. Flexibility workouts for beginning dancers, yoga, hybrid...any ideas?

I have seen some DVDs that are about an hour long. I'd rather do some different shorter routines and mix it up a few days per week with my other workouts, but I'm not sure if anything like that exists.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :smile:

Replies

• coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like to do 10 minute pilates videos: http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Solution-Lara-Hudson/dp/B0002J58ME

She has different DVDs, but the main premise is 10 minutes for different target areas. Each segment is 10 minutes, so you could either do a short workout or combine them all for a complete set. One of them is exclusively for stretching, but in my opinion, all area of pilates aids in flexibility as well as strengthening the core.

You could also look up Cassey Ho's Pop Pilates videos on youtube for some short, free stretching ideas.
  • craftasticT
    Options
    TamiLee Webb has a Total Stretch for Beginners that is fantastic. Its 30 minutes but broken down into 3 10 minute segments (standing, sitting and floor stretches) It's old but I still haven't found anything as effective or as easy on time. You can get it from Netflix or Amazon. I think you might be able to stream it on YouTube too
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing! Check out youtube videos.
  • carapline
    carapline Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're truly inflexible, look for the Essential Yoga for Inflexible People DVD. It has some basic series that are around 15-20 minutes long, including ones using chairs for modification. If you were to go through the full series of moves, I believe it is 90 minutes long.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yoga Journal has some home practice dvds that are on youtube and are only 20 minutes long. You can also choose based on what part of the body you want to work on.

Have you tried New York City Ballet workout? I know it's an hour long, but it is broken up into sections.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great recommendations.

I will def check some of these out. I love Tamilee Webb. I have a lot of her old school stuff. The NY Ballet one sounds interesting too.

Gosh I think I might even have that pilates vid somewhere but never opened it. Gotta look around! :smile: