Controlling Sugar?

Options
Hi, I have just started my daily log of my food intake and I have added my breakfast.
I am going to have 1 yogurt cup and 1 orange (peeled, and in sections). However, I seem to keep
going over my sugar intake that MFP recommends. Is it possible to control it? Because my sugar intake
recommendation by MFP is super low as it is. So it's almost impossible for me NOT to go over.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

Replies

• misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad you posted this. I am going over my sugar too...one glass (8 oz) of milk is 12 grams? That is 1/3 my DAILY recommended amount. I've been doing research on this and 24-36g is the amount of non-natural sugar you should have...so the added sugars found in packaged foods, etc. (not natural sugar like the stuff found in fruit). But I still can't find a straight answer on the TOTAL recommended amount including natural and non-natural sugars.
  • cdj383
    cdj383 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started MFP a couple weeks ago and have the same problem. As part of my husband's and my healthy eating plan we upgraded to a masticating juicer. We've juiced off and on for the past few years. Now, every morning I make juice for the two of us from two carrots, kale, ginger, 2-3 apples, 1 orange, celery and wheatgrass shots if I have them. I'm supposed to eat only 28 grams of sugar - and the home made juice pretty much takes up 2/3rds of that amount. After I have my packet of hemp plus oatmeal for breakfast (it's not even the sweet maple or apple flavor!) I'm over my sugar goal for the day and it's not even 9 am!

For now, I'm just ignoring it. I think the benefits of fresh fruit and veggies outweigh the downside of consuming more sugar than I'm allotted.
  • srach21
    srach21 Posts: 29
    Options
    Yes, I wish I could figure it out as well. Because I am already over mine just with yogurt and an orange. Hmm, hopefully someone will post here and let us know!

Do ya'll know if there is a way to manually enter the nutritional facts of your food? I haven't really been using this but since yesterday and when I go to enter my food, it has me search for a food. But the food I'm eating is never actually the food options given in a search. Is there a way to manually enter your ACTUAL meal? I feel like I'm going over on my calories because of this problem. Thank you. (:
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a diabetic or consuming the excess sugar from processed foods, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the fruit/milk/etc fit within your macros/calorie goal you are good.
  • srach21
    srach21 Posts: 29
    Options
    Okay thank you! (:
    My daily goal for sugar intake (as MFP states) is 24.
    That's just a little ridiculous. lol.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have just started my daily log of my food intake and I have added my breakfast.
    I am going to have 1 yogurt cup and 1 orange (peeled, and in sections). However, I seem to keep
    going over my sugar intake that MFP recommends. Is it possible to control it? Because my sugar intake
    recommendation by MFP is super low as it is. So it's almost impossible for me NOT to go over.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance
    take the sugar off your diary.It accounts for all sugars whether natural or not, and all you need to do is keep in mind, that you need to eat natural sugars and keep off the processed stuff.I took mine off for the exact same reason as you.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    How much sugar is recommended seems to depends on who you ask. Here is a sampling:

20g per day for a woman
    http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake

"Robert Lustig, who is largely concerned about what too much fructose does to us, thinks that 50 grams of sugar (sucrose or HFCS) is a reasonable Upper Limit for most people. "
    http://www.thedailymeal.com/what-s-recommended-daily-allowance-sugar

"The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons. The AHA recommendations focus on all added sugars, without singling out any particular types such as high-fructose corn syrup. For more detailed information and guidance on sugar intake limits, see the scientific statement in the August 2009 issue of Circulation, Journal of the American Heart Association."
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf

40 grams per day
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_sugar_are_appropriate_per_day_for_the_average_adult

If you read the articles, there is also a lot of discussion about whether naturally occurring sugars such as sugar in whole fruit or in milk should be counted in those numbers.

I'm shooting for keeping my sugar under 30 grams per day, and failing miserably at it even on days when I don't eat candy, deserts or the standard suspects.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Okay, listen. Any minute now, Sugar is gonna show up in this thread insisting that I'm lying, etc etc but he loves, and I mean LOVES being controlled. It'll be just as good for him as it is for you, trust me. Let me know when we can set this up.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Okay, listen. Any minute now, Sugar is gonna show up in this thread insisting that I'm lying, etc etc but he loves, and I mean LOVES being controlled. It'll be just as good for him as it is for you, trust me. Let me know when we can set this up.

Sugar here.

Where's the party at?

I need gag ball and a tube of toothpaste pronto!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Sugar here.

Where's the party at?

I need gag ball and a tube of toothpaste pronto!

Who's a good boy? Whosagoodboy?? Sugar is the best, OP. Looks like he's in a good mood today, you're in luck.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I am!

I am!

Now spank me.

Tell me I'm bad and spank me!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    I am!

I am!

Now spank me.

Settle down, Sugar. We already did that this morning. We have to save you for the OP whenever she gets back.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I am!

I am!

Now spank me.

Settle down, Sugar. We already did that this morning. We have to save you for the OP whenever she gets back.

*WAGS TAIL*

*LICKS CROTCH*
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • virgolee
    virgolee Posts: 9
    Options
    I am diabetic for three years now. What is scary about I can cheat and drink cokes a few at a time monitored and not let my sugar get up too bad. My brother is also diabetic and says I am playing russian roulette and my sugar is gonna go haywire one of these days. His fear is I will be put on a needle or pump. I should be more scared but half the time I'm not. I am wanting to start protein shakes with low sugar, anyone have any good recipes for a quick and easy lunch.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Virgolee
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I am diabetic for three years now. What is scary about I can cheat and drink cokes a few at a time monitored and not let my sugar get up too bad. My brother is also diabetic and says I am playing russian roulette and my sugar is gonna go haywire one of these days. His fear is I will be put on a needle or pump. I should be more scared but half the time I'm not. I am wanting to start protein shakes with low sugar, anyone have any good recipes for a quick and easy lunch.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Virgolee

Yeah! Yeah!

I'm up too bad and I'm haywire!

Now SPANK ME!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Thanks a bunch,
    Virgolee

Yeah! Yeah!

I'm up too bad and I'm haywire!

Now SPANK ME!

Ohmygawd. Sugar, seriously. This lady is looking for help.

I don't think you'll find what you need in a needle, honey. Drugs are bad. I suggest you control Sugar for a bit and it will make you feel way better and way more in charge of your own life.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to eliminating most of the sugar from your diet it doens't feel that hard to keep it that way. Your taste buds actually change and things that didn't taste sweet before start to taste very sweet with just a tiny bit of sugar.

I've been doing a slow carb diet for a while (averaging something like 20g of sugar per day) and things like 87% chocolate now taste quite sweet, whereas they were basically inedible to my palate before. This also means I've almost completely cut out fruit and dairy and things like that, but I eat lots of veggies, meat and beans and such and can eat until I'm totally full whenever I'm hungry and still don't overeat.

It is a challenge when you're getting used to it because they add sugar to EVERYTHING it seems. I mean, what on earth is sugar doing in Sriracha hot sauce?? But the upside is that if you read the label, find sugar and put it back on the shelf, you eliminate most of the processed garbage out of your diet. :)

And yogurt is one of the worst offenders. I read an article recently where there is so much sugar in most yogurt (low fat versions being the worst offenders) that you might as well just eat candy. It's disturbing that companies market things as health food that are really junk food.