Desperate for help

I have been trying to lose weight for the last 6 months and tracking on here for the last 2 weeks. As far as fitness I have been using an elliptical, walking/running for 30 to 40 minutes 5 times a weeks and also adding in Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. So after two weeks of intense exercise and tracking every bite of food I take I have gained 4 lbs. and please don't tell me it is muscle. My clothes are tighter and I have read that it takes about 6 months to increase 1-2 lbs. of muscle. I have also been checked for diabetes and thyroid problems. I need help!

Replies

• Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    My humble advice would be to stay patient. If you're following the formula of calories in less than calories out, then it will happen. What level of calorie deficit are you targeting for each day, i.e., how fast were you planning on losing the weight?
  • ndnlou
    ndnlou Posts: 29
    I had the same problem. Read some of my posts. I started out working out 2 times per day 30 to 45 minutes and put on weight. Clothes fit tighter and all. Thought why even bother. Stick with it. I started losing finally. Try different things. Not one thing works for all. Good luck. Ndnlou
  • lauradee
    lauradee Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for your advise. I would be happy to lose 1 lb. a week. I was just devestated when I stepped on the scale this morning and had gained 4 lbs. I will remain patient and keep on tracking and exercising.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Hi,

Are you within your food calorie intake?...keep in mind when you exercise calories burned must be replaced...

B
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    You might be eating too few calories with all of the working out. Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Lauradee, congrats on sticking with it for 6 months. I just found this site 2 days ago and it was the right time because I'm hoping it will help motivate me to increase my physical activities. I started in January and I also walk every morning but need to incorporate other physical activities. One thing I discovered is that when I plateau it's because I'm not drinking enough water. Dr Oz had a show about it. Going to get a little graphic here ... so hope it's not offensive. When you pee, look at the color. The more yellow it is, the more dehydrated you are. And, if you are dehydrated, you body hangs onto everything which can cause weight gain. So, I found myself looking. And it has helped. When my urine becomes more yellow I try to double up on the amount of water intake. It seems to help.

Everything I've read about plateau's says the key is to CHANGE ... since a plateau is your body's way of protecting itself from starvation, you need to trick it to kick start yourself back to losing. So, If you are eating 3 square meals a day, make them smaller and eat 4 meals with a snack or two. Change your exercise ... when you walk, add in a few bursts of jumping or running. Change what you are eating ... perhaps increase protein and decrease carbs.

Hang in there ... and Good Luck!!
  • lauradee
    I am actually eating the calories that I gain from exercise. I thought that maybe I should not do that and that is the reason that I gained so much last week. The water issue may be part of the problem as I did not drink as much water over the weekend as I should have. Again I want to thank everyone for the advise and suggestions, it is much appreciated and has helped to lift my sagging spirit this morning.:smile:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I have been trying to lose weight for the last 6 months and tracking on here for the last 2 weeks. As far as fitness I have been using an elliptical, walking/running for 30 to 40 minutes 5 times a weeks and also adding in Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. So after two weeks of intense exercise and tracking every bite of food I take I have gained 4 lbs. and please don't tell me it is muscle. My clothes are tighter and I have read that it takes about 6 months to increase 1-2 lbs. of muscle. I have also been checked for diabetes and thyroid problems. I need help!

What tests did they do when they checked your thyroid? Do you have the symptoms of hypthyroidism? The reason I ask is this...........

Checking TSH only as "testing" thyroid does nothing and makes no indicator of symptoms. I am one of those people that suffer from hypothyroidism and my blood tests come back as "normal.".

My former doctor treated me based on symptoms, not based on lab values.............I had never felt better. I moved away from Virginia and moved back to my home state of Illinois and I didn't have insurance. I finally got a job that offers insurance and I am fighting with my new doctors to get them to treat the symptoms again and not go by the lab results.

You need to have Free T3 and Free T4 checked along with TSH. The Free T3 & T4 are the true indicators of hypothyroidism.

Check out this website.............. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Also I have learned from this forum that when you start exercising, your muscles tend to hold onto water in the beginning, which makes your clothes fit tighter. Keep working out and this problem will go away. It seems a lot of us get stuck at certain times in the process, but I have faith that eventually we'll break through and make progress because that's been the way it worked for others who have posted. You're not going through this alone, so keep the faith and hang in there!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I am actually eating the calories that I gain from exercise. ,,,,,,,,
    How do you know how many calories? The numbers in MFP's database are high for some people, and of course a lot of terms like "Vigorous" are pretty subjective. If you're not using a good heart rate monitor, then it's possible that you and MFP are overestimating your exercise calories and you're eating a little too many. I personally always ate about 2/3rds of my ex cals and that worked for me.

Patience is a virtue, and I congratulate you. But if you really don't think it's working don't be afraid to change it up and try different things. :smile:
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    It is definitely possible that you eating your exercise calories are what's causing the problems. I tend to think the calorie burning estimations tend to run a tad high. Try not eating your exercise calories back for one week and see if that helps. Or maybe only eat half back.
  • lauradee
    Also I have learned from this forum that when you start exercising, your muscles tend to hold onto water in the beginning, which makes your clothes fit tighter. Keep working out and this problem will go away. It seems a lot of us get stuck at certain times in the process, but I have faith that eventually we'll break through and make progress because that's been the way it worked for others who have posted. You're not going through this alone, so keep the faith and hang in there!
    I had not though of this as being a problem, thank you. I feel much better with all the support and suggestions I have been given.
  • lauradee
    How do you know how many calories? The numbers in MFP's database are high for some people, and of course a lot of terms like "Vigorous" are pretty subjective. If you're not using a good heart rate monitor, then it's possible that you and MFP are overestimating your exercise calories and you're eating a little too many. I personally always ate about 2/3rds of my ex cals and that worked for me.

Patience is a virtue, and I congratulate you. But if you really don't think it's working don't be afraid to change it up and try different things. :smile:
    I am using the database on here and I have wondered if especially the calories for the elliptical are a bit high. I will try cutting back on the exercise calories and see how next Monday looks. I guess I am just getting impatient and wanted to see results right away. Thanks for the support.:happy:
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143

I am using the database on here and I have wondered if especially the calories for the elliptical are a bit high. I will try cutting back on the exercise calories and see how next Monday looks. I guess I am just getting impatient and wanted to see results right away. Thanks for the support.:happy:

Suggestion...have you considered purchasing a HRM?...the Polar F6 with chest band is a life saver...provide calories burned, heart rate, and other features...
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    switch up what you are eating. I am one of those people that could eat the same exact thing every single day, and I often do. When I hit a plateau I change it up. I eat my excersize calories one day and not the next. I still stay with in range of my calories, but I just mix up the proteins and carbs differently or have a bigger lunch one day and have my biggest meal be breakfast the next. Just an idea. Don't give up!
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    I found that the calories that MFP gives for elliptical is higher than what the machine at the gym gives - about 100 off.... From what others have said, most people burn 100 calories per 10 minutes. My average is about 100 per 12 minutes.
  • lauradee
    I found that the calories that MFP gives for elliptical is higher than what the machine at the gym gives - about 100 off.... From what others have said, most people burn 100 calories per 10 minutes. My average is about 100 per 12 minutes.
    Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. My machine actually is double what is given on MFP so I have been going with the MFP calories burned.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Another thing you might like to track is your sodium intake. I can lose 5 pounds in a day just water weight after eating at a restaurant or if I splurge high sodium foods. Time of month might also be another coulpid. And last but not least your metabolism might need a couple of weeks to adjust to your new lifestyle
  • lauradee
    Another thing you might like to track is your sodium intake. I can lose 5 pounds in a day just water weight after eating at a restaurant or if I splurge high sodium foods. Time of month might also be another coulpid. And last but not least your metabolism might need a couple of weeks to adjust to your new lifestyle
    I drank tons of water yesterday and I am already down 3 of the 4 lbs. I had gained. I think over the weekend I did not get enough water so my body was holding on to what it was used to getting causing the scales to go up. Thanks for you support and input.