for the love of running.....

Options
I want to become a runner. So I have been working on interval training right now to build up to the amount of time I can run for.. But when I do run my shins hurt.. Is this normal???

Also why is it that I can go for longer outside but Very short time on a treadmill???

Replies

• becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I was in the army, a ton of soldiers had issues with shin splints. Very common. As far as running longer outside, on the treadmill you are setting it at a certain speed, outside you have control over how fast or slow you are going. When you get tired you slow down to give yourself a break and then pick back up when you feel ready. Hope this helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say shin splints are normal, but they certainly aren't uncommon. Make sure you aren't over doing it, and make sure you're shoes fit right based on your feet and your stride (that's not something we can help you with though).

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are just over worked shin muscles. Usually caused by landing hard on your heels, improperly fitted shoes, or taking long strides. Google Chi running for better form and be sure you are wearing the right shoe.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I can't go as long on the treadmill as outside either. And shin splints are common, but not normal! RICE
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner too. I started running by using a C25K (Couch to 5K) app on my phone. This will let you start slow, and work your way up to running 3 miles. It helps to build your endurance by slowly increasing the amount of time you run for, starting off with 90 seconds, and going up to running for a full half hour. Its working for me, and I started off not being a runner AT ALL. Good luck!!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are kind of normal when you start but should go away in a couple weeks if you train gradually. If they are persisting you might need to rest them, then begin again more slowly allowing muscles, tendons, ligaments to adjust gradually to more and more use. Avoiding running for consecutive days when you start out is generally a good rule.

You can go longer outside because you are using more muscles to balance and adjust for the running surface. Treadmill is the same surface over and over so it uses the same muscles and they fatigue easier. Plus I personally feel there is a boredom factor...

These are just my opinions from personal experience, I'm no expert.
  • haileysugarfits
    haileysugarfits Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank You all... Great Feedback.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    shin splints are the worst, make sure you stretch and maybe shorten your stride if you find you are heel striking. If you find you can go longer outside revel in it and run outside, much more rewarding in any case! :)
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your shoes are right for you. Get fitted at a reputable running store. With the right shoes - as noted above - they should be temporary.