SNAPCRACKLEPOP Joints

Options
Ok, I have been at this since January 9th. How long before my joints stop sounding like rice crispies when I exercise?

Also, I drink two glasses of milk every day, and not that piss water that some people pretend is milk. I get plenty of calcium.

Is this punishment for years of drinking soda and nothing else? I've read that it craps all over your bone density, but I never see anything about how long it takes to heal. You know those nasty pictures of smoker lungs, and the estimates of how long it will take for them to get back to normal if the person had stopped smoking? I want something like that for the bones of soda drinkers.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Popping in your joints is gas bubbles in the fluid. Some people do it, some don't. My knees sound like fireworks when I crouch down and I have an ankle that has to pop before I get full range of motion.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    How do I rid myself of such gassy fluids? o.O

Also, my cat says your cat needs to come hang out sometime.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    when I had physical therapy for a "clacking" noise in my knees, the doctor said it was from weak ligaments. They weren't strong enough to hold the knee cap in place, so they would stretch and snap against the bones, creating the sound. When I was in racing shape last year, I didn't make a sound. My joints & muscles & ligaments & what not were all strong. Then I got pregnant and everything go relaxed thanks to those special hormones and I'm super noisy once again.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    LOL you should hear my joints make noise. It is perfectly normal to have a SLIGHT crunch when moving the joints. HOWEVER, I will share with you this. I devolped pain in my right hip last year SEVERE pain. The loud POP sound was so loud my husband would comment on it because it could be heard over music or the tv. It also was quite uncomfortable. I went into my orthopedic. I had a 2" tear in my labrum, which is the cartilidge in your hip (or shoulder) joint. I had to undergo intense surgery. Still recovering. :) If you experience any pain with exercise, see your doctor. Otherwise, don't sweat it, or DO sweat it. :)
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm highly interested in hearing other's experiences. I have really loud cracking joints. Every time I walk barefoot, my ankles crack with each step. However, it never happens when I wear shoes. Very odd. Also, my knees crack and crunch horribly when I crouch down. I have no idea what this is caused from, but for a while now, I feel like it's due to some rare disorder. Obiviously, I know I was over exaggerating and that there are people out there like me with the same issues. My joints don't hurt, it's just overly annoying to hear the crunching. The ONLY problem I do have is that when I'm in a crouching position for too long, my legs feel like they lock and I can't straighten out my legs. But that could also be due to poor circulation that I'm battling.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I crack and pop all over the place, always have. When I was little (like 2) I always used to try and sneek up on my parents to scare them....never worked they could hear my ankles cracking down the hall lol
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    How do I rid myself of such gassy fluids? o.O

Also, my cat says your cat needs to come hang out sometime.

You don't get rid of it. Just part of you.

My cat barely likes herself so she doesn't play well with others. She's a rescue and as you can see from the picture a bit freaky.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It may never go away. I've been working out since my 30s. My knees, ankles and occasionally shoulders all crackle and pop. At least for me, it's genetic. My dad's do that, mine do it, my kids' do it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    All my joints crack and pop all the time. Even when I shrug my shoulder blades together, I get snapping/crunching sounds in my spine. I always have a small twinge of "omg this is going to leave me paralzyed someday" because it just sounds SO BAD! My sternum even pops when I move in the right direction. Creepy!!

But, I've never had a significant joint/bone problem. And it's been this way for 30 years, so I'm guessing I'm ok.
  • kaitlink9
    kaitlink9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A note from the snapcracklepop queen over here:

If your joints are healthy and/or you are hearing a popping or snapping sound, it is either the gases trapped in between leaving, or your ligaments snapping against the bones. I know it's gross, but it's not a bad thing. I recently asked my chiropractor about this seeing as when I crouch, my knees (and sometimes even my hips) tend to pop.

^That is what he told me.

However, if your joints are not healthy, or you're hearing a crunching or grinding noise, that tends to be a sign that there is no cartilage left in that joint and the bones are now rubbing together.

If you're really worried about whether or not it's serious, I highly recommed seeing a chiropractor or doctor about it. :)

Just letting you know, it's a pretty common thing.. haha
    Hope that helps.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    P.S. - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME!! :)
  • MinervaTK
    MinervaTK Posts: 20
    Options
    Definitely worth trying a month or two of a good joint supplement. Get one with glucosamine, chondriotin, and hyaluronic acid (HA).
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have poppy joints and also have a bad habit of popping my knuckles. It drives my husband crazy but the truth is that my joints feel stiff until they pop (biggest culprits are my hips, knuckles, jaw, and neck). Exercise makes my joints pop even more. I thought it was something I could control (like if I would just muster up the will power to quit popping, the "need" to do it would go away) until my younger daughter was born. Lo and behold, her joints are poppy, just like mine.

I did get a little bit concerned about one of my hips when I started a new routine that involved lifting my knees across my body. My left hip would "pop" but it was more of a grind and it was uncomfortable, plus it was repetitive so it was not due to fluids and gasses. The above suggestion of a ligament snapping against the bone sounds probable. I modified the move for several days and now I'm able to do the motion with no discomfort, even though it does still make a sound.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    try some glucosomine and start trying to get in honest to god legit warm up sessions before you jump into your workouts with hard, cold, unlubricated joints.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    When I exercise is the only time my knees don't crackle.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Vitamin K2 will eliminate the rice krispie sounds. I have always had noisy joints even before the osteoarthritis set in. And now, all of my joints have been noisy--not just the arthritic ones. I read that Vitamin K2 is essential for joint health and the tissues surrounding the joints. So I thought I'd try it. After ONE week of taking the supplement, my joints no longer make noises! The more Vitamin D you take (and it is a very good idea for a LOT of reasons, the more you need K2 and Vitamin A). We tend to get enough Vitamin A in egg yolks and butter but if you don't eat those, you will want to take a vitamin pill with pre-formed Vitamin A (not just beta carotene). While some K2 is in egg yolk (which is why the whole "eat egg whites only" thing really bothers me) the more Vitamin D you take, the more Vitamin A and K2 you need. Vitamin D and Vitamin K2 work together to make sure that the calcium you are taking in, will go into bones, teeth, etc. instead of into one's soft tissue.