For real? Does this seem right?

Options
5'2 158lbs. I want to get down to at least 130 but more worried about looking thinner than actually weighing less. I did the Scooby calculation TDEE -20% puts me at about 1700 calories a day. 1700!! I'm only 5'2. UGH I have to wrap my brain around this. I want to believe it and I want to do it but I am so scared. I did the 1200 calorie diet. I lost 50lbs but it SUCKED.

I am lifting weights 3 days a week and on those days doing 25 mins on the elliptical - steady pace, covered with sweat when I am done. Then opposite of those days I am doing insanity. I feel like I'm burning 1000 calories but realistically probably 300 or so.

So what do you think 1700 a day?? I'm so afraid to do this for a week and then weigh myself next week and find that I've gained instead of lost. Please help convince me.

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm no Dr., scientist, nutritionist, etc but yes, that sounds like the right amount to me from what I've researched and learned about my own TDEE.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That seems realistic. You're young and active. I'm 5'1 107 and my TDEE -20% is around 1500. You don't have to jump up to 1700 calories all at once. Just bump up your intake by 100 calories or so each week.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I've lost 107 lbs never eating less than 1800 cals/day. My workout schedule is similar to yours. Before this time around I did the 1200 cals/miserable every day of my life diet and just ended up yo-yoing around. This time around has been sustainable and I have the energy and drive to leave everything I have in the gym. Yes, my scale weight has slowed but my inches are still dropping and I'm stronger than I ever have been. The scale will go up more than likely for you, it more than likely will go up for a couple weeks. This is a process and you have to give it a fair shot and 4-6 weeks for it to start working. Good luck, have patience and take measurements!!!!
  • TNT1121
    TNT1121 Posts: 7
    Options
    Everyone's body is so different I think the only way to find what works for you sometimes is trial and error! The math says that number is correct for you...I would say give it a try for a week and see how you feel. One week won't set you back so far that it's impossible to get back.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am 5'2 too. Good luck. :happy:
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Everyone's body is so different I think the only way to find what works for you sometimes is trial and error! The math says that number is correct for you...I would say give it a try for a week and see how you feel. One week won't set you back so far that it's impossible to get back.

I would actually give it more like a month.
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    You're definitely not going to gain with this amount of calories! A 5'2'' person who weights 158lbs and exercises 3 times a week needs around 1900 to maintain. 1700 puts you in the deficit. Give it a try for a couple of weeks and then adjust accordingly.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

One week is NOT enough, 4-6 weeks and you may need change a little here and there.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    ahaha aw i went through this

DO IT. challenge yourself and eat the amount. DO NOT weight after one week, your body will be adjusting and you will put on some water weight this is normal. i would wait 2 or even 3 weeks and you will be suprised. i did this and actually continued losing and had to raise it more because my metabolism fired back up.

dont be scared :)
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" 212lbs. About 3 weeks I switched from 1200 to 1800 (based on my TDEE & BMR) & have continued to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. I exercise daily - c25k, kickboxing, elliptical, weight training. If I burn more then 500 calories I allow myself to eat back the excess if I want. I say definitely try it. I am rarely hungry between meals & I can fit cheeseburgers, pizza, etc into my weekly meal plan. Good luck! :happy:
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my TDEE is calculated at 1750 daily. It's hard to wrap your brain around the concept of eating more to weight less and I'm still working on it myself!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    5'2 113-115 and mine to maintain is 2000-2300, so yes it's ok. Don't give something just a week; give any change at least 4 weeks to see how you adjust.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 5" 1'. I could never eat 1700 calories per day and not gain. I think everyone is different. But 1200 works for me. Although you do a lot of working out...maybe????
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am sure you are burning more than 300 calories...I can burn 300 in 30mins on the elliptical....
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    That seems relatively accurate - just make sure you are honest with your activity levels, if you set it to moderately active and you are logging MFPs crazy elliptical calories and eating those back, you might not see your desired weight loss.

as always these calculators are a guesstimate - you have to play with the numbers and see what actually happens with your weight
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For a girl who's 158 / 5.2 and has a light activity level it what I would expect. If you look at it this way you'll have to be consuming greater than your TDEE of 2125 to actually gain.

If you measure and it looks like you've gained it'll be water weight not fat.

Paradoxically by eating more you might actually lose more.
  • RobynBrockerville
    Options
    You have to keep in mind, when you calculate your TDEE it includes your calories from workouts. Its 20% less then your basal metabolic rate, thermic affect of food, and exercise added together. So for example when you are on MFP, you "earn back" calories when you record exercise. With your TDEE that's just total calories you should eat based on your level of activity selected when you did the calculation.
    My Basal Metabolic rate at 5'6" is 1420cals, making my TDEE around 2100 cals. So that seems about right. But keep in mind if you go by that measure, eat the 1700cals, if your exercising as much as you selected when calculating the TDEE on Scooby's.
    The idea with TDEE is a "eat more to lose more," You dont want your body plateauing and going into "starvation/hoard fat" mode.
    Hope this helps....
    Im only a dietetics student though, if you're ever on the low low cal diets you should check with an MD :)
  • kikicooks
    Options
    I am sure you are burning more than 300 calories...I can burn 300 in 30mins on the elliptical....

You don't know this for sure, everyone is different. I average about 280 during a 40 minute Insanity workout and I'm working pretty damn hard.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    That seems relatively accurate - just make sure you are honest with your activity levels, if you set it to moderately active and you are logging MFPs crazy elliptical calories and eating those back, you might not see your desired weight loss.

as always these calculators are a guesstimate - you have to play with the numbers and see what actually happens with your weight

I am figuring about 250 calories for 25 minutes on the elliptical. I'm not sure if its accurate or not and cant buy a HRM right now. With Insanity, i am figuring 250 - 300 depending on the video I am doing. It could be more but I'd rather underestimate than over estimate and it maybe just me but I feel like I spend more time in a fetal position on the floor than actually doing the insanity work out lol
  • LisaDec1969
    LisaDec1969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fairly new here ...How does one find out their TDEE. Thanks in advance