Cardio then lift or lift then Cardio?

Options
124»

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have heard that lifting first will make you burn more calories during your cardio.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Active warm-up stretch = lunges, spidermans, push ups, jumping jacks...simple

Lift

If I do cardio I do it last

(I don't do cardio first as I don't want to be tired when I lift and lose my form which in turns is a safety thing for me. If you lift right - cardio is not the only thing that burns fat)
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    stretch.cardio warm up.lift then cardio.stretch and cool down.helps to prevent injury.ask any trainer :)
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    Helpful, thanks! Good question OP :happy:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I mix it up, but in general I do my cardio first then do lifiting with cardio in there too.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I take two classes back to back and the cardio is scheduled first followed by the strength.
    I'm sure I would have more energy for weights if I lifted first, but then have less for cardio afterwards.

I like that we stretch at the end of the cardio class and I feel warmed up for weights but I definitely feel the muscle fatigue.
    So I guess it's up to you and your personal goals.

Addendum:
    During my cardio class this morning, I realized that there was a lot of strength incorporated into the choreography: squats, lunges, push-ups, core...
    So, is that a "better" work out because of the elevated heart rate and somewhat "interval" training?
    I know my strength class definitely loads the muscles a lot more than my cardio class...
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For me I do not mix and match. I do a little cardio to warm up before lifting; but my routine is usually one of two ways. 3 days of the week I do cardio, early in the morning: gets the heart going for the day. I do lifting routine at Lunch, the another cardio section late. On non lifting days; I do cardio weights at lunch and cardio late. Explanation of cardio wieghts is simply exercises like speed skaters with a kettlebell and other moves like that.
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I warm up for about 10 minutes, then lift, then do about 20-30 more minutes of cardio.
    Exactly what I do also! 10 minute warm up, circuits, weights, and close w/ a little cardio. This is what my trainer suggested was to do the weights & strength training first, and its worked well for me.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I warm up for about 10 minutes, then lift, then do about 20-30 more minutes of cardio.

my trainer told me exactly this ^^!
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    A recent study released argues that those who lift prior to cardio ultimately lose more weight. But I think it comes down to preference. I know recently I have been slacking on my strength training because I'm worn out after cardio. I prefer doing my strength first, and I still have the energy to do my cardio. :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have heard arguments for both so I thought why not ask you guys...currently I do cardio then lift so my heart rate will be up when I begin lifting. Let me know your thoughts.

Ever try HIIT with weights? Try it, you might like it.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    On weight days I do a LIGHT cardio first to warm up. On my OFF weight days i usually do a more intense cardio.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Unless we're talking about doing curls with pink rubberized dumbbells that weigh 3 lbs, always always always do lifting first, and to get even more nuanced, do the biggest lifts first. Finish with cardio. Warm-ups do not count as cardio, and you're better off doing a dynamic warm-up that emphasizes flexibility and range of motion than hopping on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

If you are doing cardio properly, you will be too tired afterward to lift with proper form. Cardio should be a finisher to a strength training session or should be a workout unto itself. It should not precede heavy lifting, ever.
    I agree with you here. I rarely do any kind of 5-10 min cardio warmup before lifting. I just do dynamic warmups and a few light sets. I don't know why people do 5-10 min on the treadmill and then work upper body.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The primary fuel for weightlifting is glycogen. Cardio burns into this fuel source before using fat as fuel, so if you do cardio especially 20 min or longer and then strength train, you more than likely used up most of your glycogen to fuel your weight lifting session. Now if you lift before hand when you do your cardio session then most of the glycogen will be used up and you will begin burning fat sooner. If you do want to do cardio first, I would get meal or two in first to restore glycogen levels.
  • armychickmlg
    armychickmlg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me and what I've seen from personal trainers here and there is warm up for five minutes, lift/strength train, then your cardio. Apparently your body burns more after lifting rather than before.

My personal trainer and dietician both advocate this method.
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The guy that owns the gym I go to told me I should do cardio after lifting weights and that I should do it for a minimum of 30 mins because it takes that long for the body to start burning calories.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Warm up - Lift warm up sets

then Lift.

Screw Cardio.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The guy that owns the gym I go to told me I should do cardio after lifting weights and that I should do it for a minimum of 30 mins because it takes that long for the body to start burning calories.
    Your burning calories all the time, if your not then your dead.