FORCED to change diet...Hubby had a heart attack 3 1/2 weeks

Options
Hi! I started on MFP 3 weeks ago, after a friend of my hubby's had suggested it would be helpful. On Mother's Day, my husband who is only 47, had a heart attack. We are now on a low fat, low Cholesterol, low salt and low sugar diet. I am a mediocre cook at best and having a hard time with meals. Any suggestions on a great cookbook or website that doesn't push tomato, pepper or onion "parts" as their main ingredients (family doesn't like this stuff) would be greatly appreciated! I have Chrohn's Disease so I can't eat too much of the cabbage type foods. Oh, yeah, my kids are 11 and 13 and want their nuggets back, LOL!!!

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Welcome! Sorry you are going through a tough time right now. I will pray for you and your family. I am not an expert at dieting but I know its tough and if you need anything let me know. This is a great site by the way, the people here are amazing. :drinker:
  • rynstn
    rynstn Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you SO much! Your kind words are truly appreciated!
  • jermee
    jermee Posts: 15
    Options
    I am sure you will be able to find tons of cookbooks that will help you along your journey. I would personally recommend The Biggest Loser Cookbooks and also Now Eat This by Rocco Dispirito.

Stay strong, the change is hard but you will feel so much better afterwards.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    HI, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I lost my Dad when he was only 34 to a heart attack, so I know what this change is all about. At the time, My Mom was changing our families diet as well, unfortunately, if technology back then was like it is today, he may have made it. Anyway, I actually had a scare this week myself. I'm 48 and I thought I was having a heart attactk last week. For me it turned out to be very low potassium. Here are a few things that I did to change our diets because of my fear of heart attacks.
    I added as much fish and chicken to our diets that we could stand. We still eat steak once a week, and burgers or dogs on another day.
    My cholorestral is really high (at least it was before I started losing weight) so I quit buying eggs altogether. I buy egg beaters and believe me, they taste just like eggs!! I make omlettes with them all the time. Throow in a bunch of veggies and you have a meal! I have also used them to make cookies with my grandkids!

Start experimenting with spices. My son is a chef so he helped me with this. Try rosemary and thyme in your brocolli, and on your chicken. As well as chilli powder and lots of garlic. As time goes on, you'll be surprised at how easy this becomes.!

Stop frying everything!! I do fry some things, but I use the spray butter. I just take the spout off and pour some into a fry pan. NO calories or fat this way. I also use olive oit.

Eat almonds!! All good fats, and helps lower cholorestral!

Try a steamer to avoid fats for your veggies. I put spices right in with the water when I do this.

As for recipes, I don't really have a redipe I can pass on. I love to cook, and am pretty good if I do say so myself!lol I just wing it. Believe me, you'll get it after a while. Pretty soon will just become habit!

Oh, one more thing, my husband is daibetic (recently) so we had to switch to all wheat product.s Try the wheat pastas, kids won't even notice. Just put the sauce on the noodles before you serve them. They are your good carbs!

Good luck, and hang in there. It takes time, but like everything else, its an adjustment you're gonna make not only for your husbands health, but for your families as well!!!!!
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    HELLO and welcome to MFP, it is a wonderful site, you will love it if you use it. I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he will be ok.
    I very strongly recommend the Cooking Light magazine. It is AMAZING!!!! It shows you all of your calories, fat, carbs ext. I LOVE IT!! Good luck.
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Make homemade chicken nuggets...cut up your chicken to nugget pieces, dip them in some egg or liquid egg then coat em with some special K or corn flakes that you have crushed to breadcrumb like consistency and bake them! I do that and my kids love em!! Check out the Hungry Girl website
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I'm sorry you had such a tough time (and your DH of course). The good thing is, you may both end up healthier because of it - and your kids too. There's always a silver lining. Sometimes you have to look awfully hard for it.

I don't have a cookbook to recommend but I can tell you what's worked well for me. I have the healthiest diet I've ever had in my life - and am loving ever minute of it. You, your DH, and your kids will have an adjustment to make, but if you stick to the radical changes you've already made, you'll be surprised at how quickly you all adapt.

I'm eating tons of fruit these days, now that the fresh produce is starting to come in. Plus, I now love veggies. I never did before. My daughter had been telling me for years to roast my veggies. I finally tried it and love them. There's no comparison with frozen or steamed veggies.

I set my oven (which runs a little cool) to 475 on Bake
    Prepare my veggies and spray with a little olive oil
    Season if you like
    I cook squash (I only like some kinds) for about 5 minutes,
    Asparagus for 7-10 minutes depending on how big it is
    Broccoli, chunks of onion, eggplant (jury's out), mini peppers (yum!), whole Bella mushrooms, etc. for about 15 minutes

I also cook thinly sliced (less than 1/4") potatoes and sweet potatoes this way.

Good luck on your new venture. You sound very motivated. I think you'll do well. :flowerforyou:
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Christine, I'm so sorry your husband had a heart attach; it must have been very frightening. Check with your local hospital to see if they have a nutritionist you can consult. My Mom has had two strokes and has other health issues. We met with a nutritionist who helped her work out a healthy eating plan. Her insurance covered two appointments. It was very helpful.

You can search "Healthy Chicken Nuggets" and you'll find links to several recipes. These are baked, not deep fried. I'm sure one of them will please your kids.

There is a website called lowfatlifestyle that has several very good recipes and they include the nutritional data. I also like Allrecipes site. But search for catagories might find others better suited to your needs; such as "low cholesterole recipes" or "low salt recipes".

Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    pmri.org is the website by Dr. Dean Ornish. There's a community forum with a Recipes section and members have posted great recipes. The great thing about that site is the people there have gone through what your hubby has gone through.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Forgot to mention...veggies are wonderful grilled on the BBQ too.
  • spunhuny5
    spunhuny5 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello,
    I wish you the best of luck and pray for a speedy recovery for your husband!

Get a hold of a copy of the book body for life or search for the Body for life diet on the internet.
    It works wonders and it actually has a very broad range of ideas and recipes.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Stop frying everything!! I do fry some things, but I use the spray butter. I just take the spout off and pour some into a fry pan. NO calories or fat this way. I also use olive oit.

Spray butter is not a calorie free food! If the calories and fat for a specific serving size (like 1 spray or whatever it is) are below a certain percentage, they can technically say it is "fat free" or "calorie free". But if you use 2 sprays, that could be what it takes to push it up to NOT being fat free or calorie free. The more sprays you use, the more calories and fat add up.

I came across this on another blog:

12.5 sprays (2.5 grams) = 10 calories; 1 fat gram
    25 sprays (5.0 grams) = 20 calories; 2 fat grams
    27.5 sprays (7.5 grams) = 30 calories; 3 fat grams

24 sprays or 1 teaspoon = 17 calories; 1.9 fat grams
    72 sprays or 1 tablespoon = 52 calories; 5.8 fat grams
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Your post has caught my attention. I am so sorry for your husbands heart attack. I am 55 and finally, because of health issues, had to resort to a complete overhall of my diet. It's a long story, but I went to PCRM.org (I think) Anyways, I ended up at DrMcDougall.com and began a 21 day journey to change my diet. It was difficult and confusing at first but now, 3 months later, I love it and will eat this way for the rest of my life. I feel wonderful. The veins in my legs are no longer vericosed. i have tons of energy. I've lost 3 sizes in clothes. Hope it may be what you need. kc
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    My dad had a heart attack at 48 and that changed a lot of my family's eating habits too. (Unfortunately, I was away at college at the time and didn't learn of the healthy changes as I should have!) :)

I've learned to cook (and then cook healthier) along the way as well.

Since it is summer, one of my favorite ways to cook healthy is on the grill! We do kebabs (chicken and whatever veggies you like -- we do peppers/onions/mushrooms usually and even though I'm not a huge pepper fan I'll eat them that way). Squash and zucchini are also great grilled or put in foil packets with a bit of olive oil and then thrown on the grill. Pineapple and pears are good fruits to grill. We have a charcoal grill but I also use the George Foreman quite a bit. We also use the crockpot quite a bit.

We also use olive oil almost exclusively (canola for baking)... and I've learned it doesn't take as much to saute something as I used to use! This is one of the biggest changes from my growing-up years and that my mom mentioned after my dad's heart attack. We were a true Southern family and had a container of bacon grease ready at all times to fry eggs or other items in the skillet. I can't imagine using bacon grease now!

Egg whites are another good source of protein (without the cholesterol). I usually do one whole egg and 1 or 2 egg whites if I scramble eggs, or just use the whites in tuna salad (unless I am needing to eat some calories).

The easiest way to reduce sodium is to cook from fresh or frozen foods and avoid canned. Canned goods have a lot of sodium. I do still buy canned tomatoes, tomato paste, tuna, and green peas (I can't get past the weird green color of frozen green peas!) but other than that I try to buy frozen or fresh if it is in season.

A few easy recipes/sides/ideas:
    Take raw chicken, sprinkle with garlic salt, throw in the grill -- cook until done!
    Take a pound of frozen green beans, sprinkle with some minced onion (in the spices, it doesn't taste as strong as regular onion), cook in chicken broth in the microwave for 30 minutes or so (look for low sodium chicken broth... and, yes, I'm sure that cooking this long destroys some nutrients but it still isn't bad for you!)
    Take fresh corn, wrap in a wet paper towel, microwave for a few minutes until done. That's it!

As someone else said, get to know your spices:
    Italian = garlic, oregano, basil
    Chicken = thyme, rosemary, paprika (not all together!)
    Mexican = cumin

Cauliflower/potato mix is healthier and tastes just as good as mashed potatoes.

You are welcome to check out my food diary if you want, I have recipes if I used a recipe and you can send a message if you have any other questions! I am trying to take steps towards eating less processed food, and so there are plenty of fresh fruits/veggies in there.

I second the idea to talk with a nutritionist.

Also, I don't know if your husband is on a doctor-prescribed exercise program, but I know my dad was and he was able to use workout facilities at the hospital. My mom was allowed to use those right along with him, and I think that helped greatly with him adapting to a new way of life.
  • rynstn
    rynstn Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you VERY much!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Also check out the American Heart association's web site, they have links to healthy cooking recipes and tips. There are so many healthy ways to prepare the foods you love with a little practice you will have it down pat. This place is a great place to see what foods fall into the ranges you need to be heart healthy. Welcome.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I encourage you and your husband to be strong and know that second chances are given for a reason! :flowerforyou: