I don't think I'm eating enough...

Options
I was just reading another thread about eating more to lose, and several posters said that if you eat clean, then you need to eat more. I hear "eat clean" all the time, but I wasn't exactly sure what it meant. I just looked it up, and it's what I do. I will admit to some processed foods, like Lean Cuisine, but I've really tried to cut those back. Other than that, I eat pretty clean. So I'm just trying to get some insight from people in a similar situation. I'm 35, and I've lost 80 lbs. I was down to 140, but I've gained about 5 lbs over the last couple months, and I'm not sure why. I aim to eat around 1500 calories a day, and sometimes I also include exercise calories. I'm a runner, and I strength train 3 times a week. I'm just not sure if I'm eating enough. Anyone have any insight? I really want to get this last 5-10 lbs off and maintain.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    1500 is probably enough. When people say you need to eat more when you eat clean it's not that you need to eat more calories, it's that 500 calories of lean meats and grilled veggies is going to be more filling/less calorie dense than 500 calories of soda, chips, and cookies.
  • Charlyyyn
    Options
    If you're burning a lot through exercise it could be that 1500 calories (or even 1600 or 1700) are not enough and your body is not letting you lose more weight.
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    Get a HRM and start measuring how many cals you are burning with your exercise. You may not be eating enough but check it out with a HRM and see how much that is. Also, I recommend that you eat all your exercise cals for 3-4 weeks and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes the body and metabolic rate need a shock to their system :)
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    I am dealing with the same exact thing! I'm also a runner, and strength train as well. I was so worried when I started to gain again that I went and had a resting metabolic rate test done. And I was eating 1400 cals a day or so... which wound up being 100 calories under my RMR! it's weird, but the answer really is to eat more!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    All the information you need to make sure you eat enough - or actually eat the right amount :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=Roadmap+3
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i'd say if you're getting close to your goal weight, you should start looking at eating a bit more, and pay attention to how what you eat breaks down into carbs, protein etc.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean" is kind of a joke

Here's a great article by the very well respected Alan Aragon

http://www.thespartanwarrior.com/post/9003266490/thedirtoncleaneating

http://alanaragon.com/
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Althought the information you give is a little helpful its really not enought you see you said you gained 5lbs in a couple of months well some of that can be possibly due to your strenght training done 3 time a week specially if you incorporate weights you may be building muscle. As for you having a hard time loosing the last 5-10lbs yeah that does happen and you will need patience for that. Unfortunately the last 5-10lbs are usually the hardes to get rid of. GL!
  • heleka7
    heleka7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All the information you need to make sure you eat enough - or actually eat the right amount :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=Roadmap+3

With all your exercising, it sounds like you don't eat enough. I've heard of many people increasing calories in order to break through a plateau. I'd definitely check out the thread mentioned above and follow In Place of a Road Map. Good luck!
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll check out that thread and look into a heart rate monitor.