Ladies with Natural hair work-out routine

Options
Ladies,

I would love to know how you are maintaining your naturally kinky, curly, coily hair while working out. Often times I am struggling trying to re-create the style I was wearing prior to working out.

Feel free to add me as a friend as well, I always can use motivators !!!

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When I shower first thing in the morning, the only thing I add is mousse and then it dries. During a workout, I put it up, and afterwards, I let it down, and get it about half-wet with my hands, tousle out around a bit, and let it dry again. I don't have too many issues with it if I let it dry on it's own, so long as there was some product in it earlier.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't.. Once I work out my hair is done for the day lol
  • moprice1
    moprice1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thats how I feel...LOL
    I have to throw a headband on it...hahaha
  • ceyc
    ceyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I keep my natural hair in twists. Otherwise I couldn't work out on a regular basis.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I just "let it do what it do". If it was a crazy intense workout, then I might put it in a high puff and move on. I've always been a low-maintenance, wash-n-go type of Natural. I *did* go down to a baldy last year, so it's no longer long. We'll see how far I let it grow back now that I'm on this serious fitness kick. I might keep it short (for me) or start doing box braids again when it gets long again.
  • ajbaccou
    ajbaccou Posts: 25
    Options
    put some conditioner on while working out, do quick bantus. How are you trying to wear your hair? i wear a high puff often
  • moprice1
    moprice1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think one of my problem is that my hair is in the middle stage. Its not really long or short right now. I am currently rocking a wash no go, which is okay but its cold and my head is wet from styling.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Right now my hair is short, but when I grow it to fro it, I just cornrow it before I got to bed. In the morning it's beautiful.
  • MsCanDee
    MsCanDee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is only possible for me to workout in the evenings or my hair would be a mess for work. I recently got kinky twists and I absolutely LOVE working out and not worrying about my hair. The struggle comes when its time to wash but I get a quick break for the meantime.
  • Eekababy
    Eekababy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually put it up in an afro puff while I'm working out or in a couple of chunky twist. I take them down after I shower & use ecostyle olive oil gel to style it.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have very wavy hair, it is hating me for the daily washes and the weather enough as it is so I stopped subjecting it to heat too. I don't work right now so I just let it dry naturally, then tie it in a ponytail to keep it out my way and stop it sticking out funny. I only style it when I'm going somewhere special. I'm very lazy with my hair!
  • wannasfitness
    wannasfitness Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yay finally a forum for natural hair women. My hair is currently in a protective style and it's easier when I workout because my hair is protected! However, I spritz my hair with castor oil/coconut oil under the wig cap to keep it conditioned/moisturized.

54966380.png
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair and just rinse it after working out and shampoo and condition once week. However, I put in a tiny bit of conditioner when rinsing my hair after swimming (twice per week).

I don't blow dry it, ever really.
  • morgaine108
    Options
    I usually put it up when I am working out, then it depends on what time of the day it is. If it is the end of the day, I will come home and take a shower and just cowash most days. If I work out earlier in the day, I just taken my hair down and then spritz it with a refresher spray I have made up (As I Am leave in....just a little, mixed into water) scrunch it and let it dry naturally. It doesn't look as good as it did before but it's usually passable.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I wear two strand twists currently. I sometimes use protective styles, like braids, senegalese twists and weaves. I like low manipulation styles and being able to just shake and go is an added bonus.