I'm Doing It and YOU can too!

Options
On February 27th I was feeling very toxic - the kind that comes from giving in to junk food cravings and eating way too many calories. At one point, I actually ate over 4,000 calories in one day! That kind of eating leads to toxic thinking: a bad attitude, a lethargic body and depression.

I was frustrated and ready to quit. I felt that I could not possibly ever be thin, healthy and that I didn't deserve that privilege.

After reading people's stories on here about how well they were doing, how they overcame their own demons and successfully lost a LOT of weight - I decided to give it one last go.

I made three small goals for myself:
1) To get as close to my daily calories without going over every day (regardless of where I was going or what my food options would be)
2) To get myself moving
3) To give up junk food for 30 days (I heard that if you go without something for 30 days your body will stop craving it)

Today is day 6 without junk food. To be honest, I didn't think that I would make it this far. Surprisingly enough, I'm finding that my cravings for junk food are just about gone. No junk food combined with eating right and exercising: I'm starting to feel more energy, I'm sleeping better and I am feeling healthy! For the first time in my life I finally feel successful.

I grew up in a family of morbidly obese people. I am the kind of person that will eat just for the sake of eating. I looked to food for comfort in difficult situations. I also avoided being active because it forced me to deal with the reality of how out of shape I really was. Combine that with a very low self-esteem and constant rejection, and I was the perfect recipe for obesity. It wasn't until I realized that I was worthy of having a healthy life, that I was more than a size 18/20, that the person I wanted to be is the person I should be that things came into place for me.

Now I get picked on when I pass on dessert, and people tempt me with food. They say I'm wasting my time, but then I look at the massive calories they are consuming, their health problems and the road that awaits them and it just reminds me that I am better than that. I had to believe in myself first, and then the rest came into place. Sure, some days are hard - but when I get through a hard day and realize that I passed with flying colors - it feels SO GOOD!

I know that I have a long way to go before I hit my goal weight, but that's okay. Why? Because I'm doing it right now. Every day of successful eating and exercising is one day closer to that goal and one step closer to overall fitness. I am worthy of this being healthy and no matter who you are and where you come from - you are worthy too!

Replies

• jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh keep it up - you're doing great!!!! If you do happen to give-in as we all do at some point...don't beat yourself up just say oops and get back into it. I wonder why the people are tempting/teasing you...maybe it's to make themselves feel less guilty knowing they should be looking up to your example. People in my family will sometimes make fun of me for liking to eat healthier than them too. I get really motivated by quotes, so I've got two for you, if you don't mind:

"A year from now you will wish you had started today."
    "You don't have to see the whole staircase to take the first step."
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I'm a HUGE fan of quotes - I'll be using these in the future! Thank you so much for sharing these with me!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options

I'm a HUGE fan of quotes - I'll be using these in the future! Thank you so much for sharing these with me!

I love good quotes, too, and have that first one on my fridge. And I have a couple appropriate cartoons there as well that make me smile when I think about grabbing something without thinking.

You will be successful if you continue to remind yourself of the attitude you expressed. When you are resolved it helps keep you on the right track, even if you have a "detour" every now and then. I know that people who used to encourage me to "just have a little" have finally realized when I say, "No thanks"...that's exactly what I mean and they respect that. Keep up the positive and strong convictions to become healthier...you'll get there one day at a time.
  • jdousay09
    jdousay09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started eating right and exercising. I am going through a lot of the same things you are. My sister and her husband are the ones who motivate me. He lost 100 lbs in a year by eating VERY healthy and exercising. But the majority of my family is over weight or obese like myself. They really don't care about loosing weight and getting healthy! So they try to get me to eat junk or tell me a little bit wont hurt. That's always my downfall. If I am going to do this I have to stay on track and not give in at all.

I think you are doing a fantastic job! Keep it up! Don't let others bring you down, you know your doing the right thing. I have a hard time staying away from junk foods also but today is day 7 of eating healthy and exercising and I feel great! I think myfitnesspal is really going to help me stay on track and keep me motivated!

I am having a really hard to meeting my calorie goal. If I eat the 1200 calories I seem to feel full all day and I am uncomfortable. I hardly eat (and if I do it isn't usually healthy food) and was told that's why I am not loosing or gaining I'm kind of stuck at this weight for the last 3 years. I am determined to get below 200 lbs!
  • jdousay09
    Options

Love these!
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am determined to get below 200 lbs!

You WILL get below 200! You WILL reach your goal weight. You are 100% capable and deserving of it! It's hard, but remember - each day you have victory, is one less day you'll be struggling.
  • jdousay09
    Options
    Thanks! Im super motivate since I have joined MFP! We can do this!!! Thanks for the encouraging words!