Herniated discs

Options
Hey everyone!
I am looking for support and advice on how to get active again after herniating 2 discs in my back. They are the L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs and my god are they painful. So anyone with recommendations, or who would like to add me, please please please!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• sjstick
    sjstick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I Have an L4-L5 issue as well. I have had it for years. I started with a recumbent bike for cardio, did lots of stretching and planks to strengthen my core. I did this for over a year and just got the courage to start running. I still have days that my back gets cranky but I just listen to it and take a day off.

I feel your pain. Just take it slow and your body will let you know when you are ready for more.

Good Luck!

Steve
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have L4/L5 as well -check with your doctor/physical therapist/chiropractor before jumping into exercise (I didn't but I don't have insurance, so do as I say not as I do lol) I've been doing pop pilates with cassey ho on youtube and some gentle elliptical sessions. So far so good :)
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have herniations at T8 through T11 and at L5/S1, also bulges at L4/L5 and L3/L4. Plus arthritis, disc degeneration, blah, blah, blah, etc. I stick to the elliptical, swim when I can, walk, my PT back exercises, and do some light yoga. If you can, check with your doctor and PT before starting. My PT told me that these are good exercises for people with back problems. The best advice that I can give you is that if you feel any sharp pains or pain for more than a minute doing a certain exercise, STOP! Be kind to your body.