1200 calorie plan plateau

Options
kavna
kavna Posts: 4
Hi, just looking for some tips and ideas, I am on 1200 calories, have lost 15lbs since Jan 4th, happy with the progress but seem to be hitting a plateau now, despite running, kettlebells and zumba! Any tips\ideas? Could eating too much fruit be the issue?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    More than likely, not eating enough is the issue. Search the forums for info on 1200 calorie diets. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and go from there. I am not on my computer, so I can't post any links. Maybe others will.
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    I agree with foleyshirley. I was plateaued for months, but when I changed my settings to "up" my calories (to maintenance level) I suddenly dropped 5 pounds.
    Surprise!
  • Tldavis3s
    Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had this problem also. After I lost my first 18lbs I got stuck. I did not lose any weight for a good 2-3 weeks. All I did was stick to what I was doing and eventually the weight started coming off again. I eat 1200 calories a day & today is my 115th day on my diet. I have lost 30lbs so far. Progress speeds up & slows down depending on how much exercise I get & which foods I am eating even if I am under 1200 cals a day. My best advice is to keep doing what you're doing and allow yourself to get as close to 1200 as possible, do not try to lower your intake because that will only slow your metabolism down. Snack often to keep it up!
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    When I've hit a plateau before, I switched to a different exercise routine. When your body gets use to the same routine, you're not pushing yourself anymore and I've found puts you in a plateau. Try switching it up and challenge yourself more with something different.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the idea that you might need to increase your calories a bit given how hard you exercise. I know that it sounds counterintuitive, but I plateaued for two months and increasing my calories by a few hundred was the only thing that got me out of it. If you aren't already, you might start my logging your exercise and eating back some of the exercise calories you earn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Very typical of the 1,200 calorie plan, especially if you weren't eating back your exercise calories as MFP intends for you to do. If you haven't been eating exercise calories, start there...but ultimately, I'd say 1,200 calories is for the birds...literally, birds.
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I bumped my calories up to 1350 and I am losing just fine. Read this posting...it is very helpful. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • SoulEater7
    Options
    When I've hit a plateau before, I switched to a different exercise routine. When your body gets use to the same routine, you're not pushing yourself anymore and I've found puts you in a plateau. Try switching it up and challenge yourself more with something different.

This is definitely true "shock" your body so to speak. This has been the case for most people, also upping your "clean" cals has worked for alot of people.

Everybody is unique and we all plateau for different reasons, just have to try a few things till you find that sweet spot again.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Could eating too much fruit be the issue?

NO
    Hi, just looking for some tips and ideas, I am on 1200 calories, have lost 15lbs since Jan 4th, happy with the progress but seem to be hitting a plateau now, despite running, kettlebells and zumba! Any tips\ideas?

THIS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • sdrottman
    sdrottman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Same here...I am never below 1350 and still losing...
  • kavna
    Options
    thanks everyone, I am eating back my calories when I exercise, I'll keep going as I am for now and if I am still not losing I'll try bumping up to 1350 :-)
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I am eating back my calories when I exercise, I'll keep going as I am for now and if I am still not losing I'll try bumping up to 1350 :-)

Just looked at your profile...with 5 Lbs to lose, your body cannot sustain the kind of deficit it's in. You'll definitely have to up calories. 1,200 is way too aggressive for someone with 5 Lbs left to go.
  • kavna
    Options
    oops thanks for reminding me, just updated need to lose at least another stone...ideally more!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Search for "In place of the road map" on google and click the MFP link.
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I go over the strict 1200 a day a week, it really jump starts my loss again. Not crazy amounts over, but 1500-1600.
  • kavna
    Options
    I got my BMR checked by a place that claims to give 98% accuracy, my basic metabolism is 20% higher than average for my height and weight, and according to the test I can eat 1700 calories on a non exercise day and 2000 on a day I am exercising.
    I got some nutritional advice with the test and they said I am eating way too little and not often enough and putting my body into starvation mode. So I have increased my calories to 1700 as of yesterday, still on a plateau so really will be amazed if this works!
    hope this helps other people too!
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I needed, thanks for sharing that link!!!