15 pounds or less.?

Options
I had 15lbs to lose (Now only 10)
and it is not coming off.
I feel like its been several months since that scale has moved continously.
I stuck to my calories.
I tried increasing my intake.
I tried calorie cycling.
I workout everyday.
WHY is it not working!?
help.

please.

Replies

• justesje
    justesje Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I have lots to lose and cycling calories but it just isn't coming off. Hit a plateau and it is ridiculous. Might quit exercising this week and see if that changes things. I really would like to know if someone knows why this is not working.
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Add 50 calories of fat a day-- like by way of Nuts, nut butters, avocado, or even that ground flaxseed stuff... healthy mono unsaturated fats.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i am wondering where we get the targets from! the bmi scale is not a perfect scale because it makes no allowance for frame size. i am within 6lbs of my goal of a bmi of 22. something. The last time i got to that level everybody said i was too thin and i felt the shine had gone off my acheivement. My brother who has a smaller frame than me but the same height is 'ok' at that bmi and draws no comment--people are already saying at my present weight i have gone too far!
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    De 1amo - I think you have highlighted something important. Well two things really.

The first - the BMI thing, when you are so close, has to be a generalisation. I think you've got to stop when you "feel" right and the clothes you want to wear fit you. Otherwise, you are just punishing yourself to conform to a national one-size-fits-all model, which doesn't take frame size or individual bodies in to account.

The other thing you said was in regard to friends comments - who feign "concern" and say you've "gone too far" - this is what some people say because they want to highjack your sucess or knock the shine off it. They seem to do it for numerous reasons, perhaps it threatens them, perhaps they like to have a friend slightly larger than themselves, perhaps it all boils down to people get used to seeing us as we are - fat and all, and any loss over that which their brain cannot comprehend can only be expressed in terms of concern. It's a shame as it undermines success and may even contribute to people regaining weight.

Ignore what friends/acquaintances say - if you feel OK with the size you are then it it's OK - unless you are dangerously skinny and starving yourself - but if you weigh within a few pounds of what you should weigh for your height - it's nobody else's business really except yours.
  • justesje
    Options
    The other thing you said was in regard to friends comments - who feign "concern" and say you've "gone too far" - this is what some people say because they want to highjack your sucess or knock the shine off it. They seem to do it for numerous reasons, perhaps it threatens them, perhaps they like to have a friend slightly larger than themselves, perhaps it all boils down to people get used to seeing us as we are - fat and all, and any loss over that which their brain cannot comprehend can only be expressed in terms of concern. It's a shame as it undermines success and may even contribute to people regaining weight.

Ignore what friends/acquaintances say - if you feel OK with the size you are then it it's OK - unless you are dangerously skinny and starving yourself - but if you weigh within a few pounds of what you should weigh for your height - it's nobody else's business really except yours.
    Very wise words here. Thank you Funnydream. I am over 30 pounds off my goal weight and already "so-called friends" are telling me to stop exercising. "Why do you workout so much?" One person came outright and said "you will look a lot more prettier than me". Uhmmm, the fact is even at this weight I am pretty so in my opinion being slimmer is not tantamount to beauty plus the internal beauty is what matters. People gravitate to my personality and even though that "friend" is little miss skinny and good looking too, her personality stinks and guys approach me more than they do her when we used to go out. I refuse to let people dictate to me about MY weight loss and health. It is clearly unfortunate that some people think like this. Keep up the good work and I pray that whatever plateau we are stuck in goes away soon.
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    What does cycling calories mean?
  • de1amo
    Options
    Thanks---as a side

i belong to a gym and they analyse you at the beginning with an all singing dancing scanner---it set my goal as 70kgs from 83kg and i am now at 73kgs --my gym instructoress is tiny and weighs well under 100lbs and is average height- she went to see how she rated and she was told to lose 2lbs from her tiny mass --the dietician who advises is the most stick thin person (and looks unhealthy) and gave me a diet well under 1000 calories. --Maybe if i lived in sub saharan lands it would be appropriate!

i still have a belly and will be happy when it has gone--i had a lot of ops when i was young and i am told i may have scar tissue that gives this affect and bumps my weight up by 10lbs --that was from my mother in law-a retired doctor -no bmi or dietician takes that into account!

My biggest non fan about my weight lose is my wife who liked me cuddly! but i think your dead right about people's perceptions and jealousy--i will stop when i plateau and feel comfortable with my diet intake--i cant comprend sometimes i get 1200 cals and my wife who is 5 ft 3 gets the same--i am 5 9 and obviously male
  • de1amo
    Options
    there is a current thread going about cyclic calories --it when you eat a reasonable amount for a period and then decrease so that the body searches for its equilibrium--sounds good in theory but there are lots of theories but i believe we all have our personal method that works for us as individual bodies--it may work for you.---i have lost steadily by crash dieting and lots of exercising--most unhealthy but it has worked so far!!--i spent 1,5 months on less than 1000 calories and doing exercise 6 days a week for 3 hours at a time--this system is slightly slower but more substainable
  • Gembo82
    Gembo82 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hello, just a question are you taking your 8 glasses of water in a day?
    When i was stuck (i was stuck on a plateau for nearly 4 weeks) i was told to up my intake of water as i wasn't drinking enough and sure enough when i starting drinking more the weight came off.
    I also did the calorie cycling and i didn't do as much exercise and to be honest i had one night where i didn't count calories when i went out with my friends, i was thinking i had gained but i actually lost nearly 2lbs!
    Try drinking more and shifting your calories around abit and something will work for you,
    Good luck, it's annoying when we get stuck but you will get there.
    xxx
  • justesje
    Options
    Gembo82 do you include tea and coffee to water intake or just pure water. I am drinking 8 already now. should we increase that?
  • de1amo
    Options
    talking of changing--i have a personal theory that i try to do as much as possible, i dont let my body get into a routine -exercise and eating -i change all the times of application about as much as practical--last time i exercise was in the morning so today it will be in late afternoon -i will eat my main meal before i exercise not after as before--
    there is another thread this am about water consumption--tea and coffee as just as hydrational as water and should be included in the count--just dont take them with meals as it washes away good nutrients
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so, here's the thing about the last 10 or so lbs. It's a difficult task, the human body likes to have a little bit of fat hanging around, and at a certain point, I don't like to use lbs as a measure, I much prefer body fat % as that's what will get your body looking better. Weight is ultimately arbitrary since you could drop 10 lbs of fat, put 10 lbs of muscle back on and look WAAAY better at the exact same weight. So I'd say have a Body Fat % done and use that as a goal.

As to why you're not losing, I'd make a guess that you're probably at too high of a deficit. What is your weekly deficit right now? Last 10 you should be looking at (for most people) no greater than 250 to 300 calories a day AND you should be eating your exercise calories to stay within that range.

-Banks
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shifting your carb/fat/protein ratios? Go a little lower in carbs, higher in the fats & protein.