Any former college athletes out there?

Options
So, I'm doing my fitness pal thing...logging in my entries....doing my cardio and all the time I'm thinking to myself, "There has to be other former college athletes/all american's who are in the same boat as me"...

What boat is that? Well, the one where working out wasn't a form of healthy living.....it was part of being a kick-*kitten* (fill in your sport here) softball player. Once I graduated, the gym was something I "had to do" to be the best; not something that helped me stay lean and healthy. Guys/Girls who have that athletic mentality to win, and just need a little support from someone they don't know to get there.

The worst part is I know what to do to get there, and I'm still not making the total commitment.

I was hoping to get a few folks who were like me. People who know what they need to do, aren't willing to put up excuses when they know what they are or aren't doing to hit their goals, and who understand the athletic mentality to help others on their journey towards inner peace with their health/lifestyle goals.

So, hit me up - friend me here (mparmelee) or on IG parmgirl16

I try to put photos on IG of healthy things I love, motivational pics, and some downright smart-*kitten* things to keep it light.

Thanks,
M

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was a rower. I was the one jumping up and down in the dark and the cold at 5AM; I was the one sneaking off to run hills (and getting caught by my coach, who made me stop because I was overtraining). And I think to myself -- how did I end up this person?
  • mparmelee
    mparmelee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I used to take on any challenge. Had to be the best. I was always at the ball field. Now, my metabolism is like, "screw you lady". I do insanity at home every morning and lemme tell ya - Being a catcher has done it's damage on my knees! I want to kick Shaun T in the face some mornings!
    :-)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    College Varsity Volleyball here - a loooong time ago.
    And I'll brag a bit - I was invited to play semi-pro.

And all those knee slides and diving after balls is what started doing my knees in. But after college I didn't work out any more but kept eating like I was.

Now that I have new knees that athlete mentality is kicking back in and I'm in the gym 5-6 times a week and swimming 3-4 times a week.
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I played D3 softball and also am dealing with a body that says "Screw you!" to me. I do small group HIIT training twice a week with a trainer and told him to think of my joints as a 50 year olds (I am 35). I was a pitcher and 3rd baseman and the pitching has taken its toll. I have chronic tendonitis in my right wrist, issues with my hip flexors and was recently diagnosed with arthritis in my clavicle. I didn't even know that was possible! I am a mess.

I still work hard in the gym though, and find my competitive nature has been a help to push me towards my goals. In those small group sessions I am constantly checking out the other people out of the corner of my eye and trying to "beat" them (I'm going to jump further than him! I am going to jump higher than her! Etc.) I also am doing things I couldn't do back in the day - I have always HATED running and thought I literally could not do it, but in the past few years I have completed 5Ks, 10Ks and a 200mile team relay, training for my first half marathon.
  • mparmelee
    Options
    That is awesome!!! It's great to hear that you are working to continue to take care of your body, despite the physical trauma you put your joints through!
  • mparmelee
    Options
    @haanmom:
    I'm in the same boat - I played pitcher, catcher and 3rd base. My knees are shot, my shoulder is shot, and I have degenerative discs in my back.

In fact, today while doing one of the push-up excercises during insanity, I said to my husband, "Man, do you remember how it felt when you threw your arm out"? LOL - My shoulder was killin me.

It's just so motivating to hear from other athletes. Not that non-athletes aren't great, but there's something about it that fuels my motivation!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- it fuels mine too! After I responded to your post I got off my butt and got on the elliptical :)
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i was college rower, up training at sometimes 4am before classes and again at 6pm. i keep a picture of myself from back then on my phone to remind myself that it is possible. If the past me met the current me she would be very disappointed that i let this happen.

I blew my knees out in high school doing track and field and blew my shoulders out rowing. I am a hot mess now and everything snaps and pops when i move. some days i keep like i am 85 years old.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    was teaching areobics at 17yrs old - 115pounds
    in touch football at 18yrs - 115 pounds
    did cycling heavily between 19 to 24yrs - 125 pounds
    got pregnant at 31yrs 135 pounds
    Gave birth to a beatifull boy with special needs ( now 13 , non verbal in wheelchair)
    after its all downhill
    got to 198 2 yrs ago
    started MFP 11 jan 2013 at 186 and now am 177
    Love this app and love this community

:flowerforyou:
  • bekeyers
    bekeyers Posts: 18
    Options
    I am no pro lol but I have also played competitive sport most of my life so I know what it's like to have the health the fitness and the body that goes with it only to lose it under layers of fat. I think it's much harder on your mind when you know what you are capable of but for whatever reason you let yourself reach a point that you once thought unimaginable.

I am also someone who has quite a bit of illness and I have a child who has Autism and am now a single mum, a very proud one I should add :). I know adversity and the impact these types of things can have on your life and I think most importantly on your mind. I just think that you can never underestimate the power of your mind, for me making sure my mind is straight , that I am being honest with myself about my excuses, that I am listening to the messages that I am telling myself because in the end they are what shape you.

Love this site too :smile:
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am no pro lol but I have also played competitive sport most of my life so I know what it's like to have the health the fitness and the body that goes with it only to lose it under layers of fat. I think it's much harder on your mind when you know what you are capable of but for whatever reason you let yourself reach a point that you once thought unimaginable.

I am also someone who has quite a bit of illness and I have a child who has Autism and am now a single mum, a very proud one I should add :). I know adversity and the impact these types of things can have on your life and I think most importantly on your mind. I just think that you can never underestimate the power of your mind, for me making sure my mind is straight , that I am being honest with myself about my excuses, that I am listening to the messages that I am telling myself because in the end they are what shape you.

Love this site too :smile:

To bekeyers: I'm a single mom too. and I agree with your post 100% :wink:
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a college athlete, yet. I was a D1 football prospect in high school. Verbally committed to Alabama, but suffered a spinal cord injury. After the injury, it was found that I had a genetic condition that wouldn't allow me to be medically cleared to play football ever again. I had to adjust to becoming a "non-athlete". I couldn't lift anything over 25lbs for two years after my injury, Dr. was monitoring me during that time frame, couldn't really do any physical exercise other than walking and I didn't want to do that. Before the injury I was 6'4" 253lbs, could run a 4.8 40 yard sprint and had a 37" vertical. Used to be a total gym rat when i was playing. I think my BF was around 10-11%. Then after the injury, I was still eating like I did and promptly put on about 200pounds in 2 years. Kept it on all thru college and into my career, but finally got back into exercising and lifting. I remember now how much I loved the gym. I love the sounds, the smell of it, the soreness I feel the days after a good workout. I wouldn't change a thing about what has happened to me because it has made me who I am today.
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my knees and ankles are a wreck from playing catcher for like 12 years too...I'm an orthopedic disaster from the waist down.
  • mparmelee
    Options
    @ everyone who posted -

Man - why does it have to be knees and shoulders? Today, while doing Insanity Max Interval Plyo, I looked over at my husband (39, 6'3, 180) who was bangin out these level 3 drills (just think push up hell if you don't know what those are). And I'm over here feeling like my shoulders are going to give out on me. Then, everything in these videos is jumping, so I modify where I can, but afterwards I head down to my home office with ice packs on my knees.

My mentality lately is that if I an make it through my 21 day mark, I'm golden. Thanks each of you for your contribution. I will be adding you shortly.
    M
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have a very healthy obsession with ice packs :)
  • penguinswimr
    penguinswimr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Former college swimmer here - only well trained part of me since then is the eating part!