Tell me again why I should eat avocado's?

Options
nm8962
nm8962 Posts: 43 Member
Someplace on MFP I read that someone uses a mashed up small avocado, seasoned with lemon juice, garlic, onions, & salt in place of dressing on their salad. Sounded good, so I tried it. It was tasty, but needless to say I was extremely surprised to find that one small avocado was 280 calories. I could have used two tablespoon of Brianna's Poppy seed dressing on that salad for 160 calories. I have one more avocado left. Do I eat it or should I swear off avocado's for the rest of my weight loss journey?

Replies

• cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats and filling fiber.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

And quite tasty
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Monounsaturated fats (the good fats), potassium, vitamin e, fiber.

Oh, and they are delicious!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Because "broccomole" sounds disgusting? :)
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options

yup, it's good for fats. And since fat is the most calorie dense macro, of course even smaller portions are going to be pretty hefty on calories.
    So from the perspective of simply counting calories, it might look pretty bad, but if you take macros into consideration of your dieting, it's wonderful.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Because they are SOOOO yummy!
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Avocados being delicious is clear. I did not state that. LOL, but yes, I love avocados. Could probably eat one or more daily
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Someplace on MFP I read that someone uses a mashed up small avocado, seasoned with lemon juice, garlic, onions, & salt in place of dressing on their salad. Sounded good, so I tried it. It was tasty, but needless to say I was extremely surprised to find that one small avocado was 280 calories. I could have used two tablespoon of Brianna's Poppy seed dressing on that salad for 160 calories. I have one more avocado left. Do I eat it or should I swear off avocado's for the rest of my weight loss journey?
    Just because something's high in calories doesn't mean it's bad for you. As others have said, they're very nutritious. If you have trouble fitting it into your daily calories, maybe eat half the avocado at a time, and save the rest for the next day. They keep in the fridge, and if you leave the stone attached to the piece you're saving, that helps them not to discolour. Looking at your diary though, you seem to have several hundred calories to spare most days. so I don't really see an issue.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    they're absolutely great for you. yeah they're calorie dense and high in fat - but it's GOOD fat your body needs.

fat is good.

eat avocados!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Mix in a tiny bit of salsa have it with some chips, or on a taco. There many things other than avocado that I'd prefer to put on a salad.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    They taste good.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Avocados are not only expensive to buy here, but also expensive in cals.... it's the one thing I splash out for I couldn't live without them! They are a source of amazing fats and have loads of health benefits!!! Don't hate the avocados!! Work them into your diet...
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    because you want to.... and if you dont, i have nothing to say....
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Because they are full of healthy fats fiber ect. Plus they are AWESOME! :-) i love them a few ways mashed up and spread on my sandwhiches or mixed up with black beans and tomatoes on romaine. Plus so many more choices
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    For example a snack for me would be 6 crackers with avocado slices on top.... I've reduced my crackers to only 4 now, but have the amount of avo needed.... I save cals somewhere to spend on avos for the health benefits. You are better off eating some avo, than a manufactured full of preservatives dressing if you ask me.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I never use to like it until now. I do a half cup mashed and eat it with steamed brocolli. It really brings out the yummy in your food!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    try using less avocado and supplement the dressing with other things, like non-fat plain greek yogurt. it's only 45 calories for 3 ounces (which is quite a bit). you still get the avocado flavor and benefits from the fats, etc, but less calories. i use it on taco salad all the time! avocado is one of my favorite foods!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I personally never feel bad for going over in healthy fats. I eat at least a quarter of an avocado every day.

If I'm in the red because of almonds, olive oil or avocadoes, I know I'm doing something right.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Would it be wrong to only eat avocados and avacodo related things? I could survive on them, If eating avocados is wrong , I dont wanna be right...
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them.
    The rest of us will eat your share :)