HIIT - What to do for the low-intensity part of the exercise

Options
tdelam
tdelam Posts: 48 Member
I am doing HIIT/Burst but I am a little confused about what I should be doing for the low-intensity part of it.

I read that you should stop and stand on the rails of your treadmill after high-intensity part of it for a minute or until they feel they are ready for high-intensity again. I also read that people walk at a slow pace.

I would prefer to stop and stand on my treadmill rails for the low-intensity because it takes about 10 seconds for the speed up on my treadmill and it's a real pain. So my question is, which is the proper way?STOP for the low-intensity interval or should I WALK for the low-intensity?

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    To do an actual proper HIIT workout you should walk or jog for the 'rest' interval. Technically HIIT requires working recovery. If you were to stop inbetween you wouldn't technically be doing a HIIT workout it would probably be classified as sprint training. Nothing wrong with either. Personally I find HIIT really difficult to do properly on the treadmill because of the time it takes for the belt to speed up and slow down. I prefer to do my HIIT outdoors on an oval or on a stationary bike or elliptical
  • tdelam
    Options
    Here's the thing; they say that jogging or walking during low-intensity defeats the purpose of HIIT as it would appear to be just cardio at this point because there is really no real rest period between intervals

These 2 videos say otherwise so this is why I am confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWsReGs5T0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7d2MzZ96I

So... I don't know, I just want to be sure I am doing things properly. I already finished C25k but that's boring now so I am looking towards Burst/HIIT. I did it this morning and have did it in the past on a bike and I absolutely loved it before.

So, to stop or not to stop; that is the question lol
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    To do an actual proper HIIT workout you should walk or jog for the 'rest' interval. Technically HIIT requires working recovery. If you were to stop inbetween you wouldn't technically be doing a HIIT workout it would probably be classified as sprint training. Nothing wrong with either. Personally I find HIIT really difficult to do properly on the treadmill because of the time it takes for the belt to speed up and slow down. I prefer to do my HIIT outdoors on an oval or on a stationary bike or elliptical

I agree with gmallan: When I do "HIIT" on a treadmill, I sprint for 20 seconds and stand on the sides for 10 seconds, entirely because I hate how time-consuming it is for the belt to slow down and speed up. When I do actual HIIT on any other piece of equipment or when I'm running outside, I do working recovery for the low-intensity part. Do whatever works best for what you are doing or using -- as long as you are getting the high intensity part going in appropriate interval blocks (regardless of interspersing it with stopping or working recovery), you're going to get the main benefits of the workout.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    In terms of heart rate, is there a guideline to where it should get to at the high and at the low?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I walk fast during the "recovery" - I consider the slowing down and speeding back up of the treadmill (which only takes about 4-5 seconds) to be part of the active rest.

I do 2 min warmup walk 4.0, 1 min run 7.0, 30 seconds sprint 9.5, active rest walking 4.0 for 1.5 min, repeat until I get to 20 minutes. I get 6 run cycles and 6 sprint cycles in that time.
  • KilannaFit
    Options
    I tend to do the following

Incline 4.5%
    Speed 4.5 (walking recovery)
    Speed 9.5 (running)

30 seconds on/off for 6mins

I have attempted to do the jump on and off but I just don't feel safe doing it

Btw my cycle of carido workout tends to be 15-20mins as I do a
    3 min warm up
    12% incline and speed walk for 2 mins

Then off the trendmill and do stationary lunges and squat jumps for 20 times and then do the HIIT bit
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Pardon the ball-busting, but if you are not tracking your heart rate, how are you guys doing HIIT?
  • KilannaFit
    Options
    By using a HRM or seeing how out of breath I am when running
  • gmallan
    Options
    Pardon the ball-busting, but if you are not tracking your heart rate, how are you guys doing HIIT?

If you know your body well enough you have a pretty good idea of when you're hitting or getting near your max heart rate. If I'm not tracking my heart rate I just go all out for the "work" interval. We could get all technical with the HIIT thing (you really need to be tracking VO2max) but if my working portion is an all out effort I just call it HIIT. It's either HIIT or just an awesome workout, either way I'm getting results.
  • gmallan
    Options
    I walk fast during the "recovery" - I consider the slowing down and speeding back up of the treadmill (which only takes about 4-5 seconds) to be part of the active rest.

I do 2 min warmup walk 4.0, 1 min run 7.0, 30 seconds sprint 9.5, active rest walking 4.0 for 1.5 min, repeat until I get to 20 minutes. I get 6 run cycles and 6 sprint cycles in that time.

I honestly just find if I am actually doing an all-out sprint on the treadmill where I couldn't keep going at that pace for another second when the interval is over I often don't have the ability to make the belt slow down quick enough/the co-ordination to press the button enough times to get it to slow down while still maintaining that sprint for longer than I intended. I go pretty hard

I should add that there's nothing wrong with just doing interval training on a treadmill especially if you're pushing pretty hard. It's still an awesome workout
  • gmallan
    Options
    Here's the thing; they say that jogging or walking during low-intensity defeats the purpose of HIIT as it would appear to be just cardio at this point because there is really no real rest period between intervals

These 2 videos say otherwise so this is why I am confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWsReGs5T0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7d2MzZ96I

So... I don't know, I just want to be sure I am doing things properly. I already finished C25k but that's boring now so I am looking towards Burst/HIIT. I did it this morning and have did it in the past on a bike and I absolutely loved it before.

So, to stop or not to stop; that is the question lol

You need to go at a pace so that you recover enough to be able to go all out again. HIIT is VEEERRRRYY intense and it's supposed to be that way. It's also not meant to be done for long periods of time.

I repeat to do HIIT you need to work during your rest period otherwise you are sprint training.

I think it's not important to get hung up on definitions and what is or isn't HIIT. HIIT is good, interval training is good, sprint training is good. Did you work hard, are you exhausted, are you getting fitter/improving? Just work hard, push the intensity, track your results. You'll soon know if what you are doing is working.
  • tdelam
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I've decided that I will walk during my slow down but I will step onto the rails when it is time to change the speed because that's the part that annoys the most; trying to press the slower speed while running fast lol, dangerous!

Thanks for the comments :)