Too many good carbs?

Options
divaindy
divaindy Posts: 108 Member
How do you keep your calories in check but keep your carbs down.I am getting close to goal and have reset my calories to 1400,I think too many of my calories come from good carbs,fruit,sweet potatoes and rice tortillas. Don't quite know what to eat? I am gluten,soy,dairy,egg and peanut free. Eat lots of protein and veggies just not sure what to fill in and up with.......

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your calories in check but keep your carbs down.I am getting close to goal and have reset my calories to 1400,I think too many of my calories come from good carbs,fruit,sweet potatoes and rice tortillas. Don't quite know what to eat? I am gluten,soy,dairy,egg and peanut free. Eat lots of protein and veggies just not sure what to fill in and up with.......

If you are eating lots of protein, carbs and veggies, then you should fill in the gaps with healthy fats. Fat is an essential nutrient.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

If you are eating lots of protein, carbs and veggies, then you should fill in the gaps with healthy fats. Fat is an essential nutrient.

Yup. Avocado, tree nuts, oils.
  • divaindy
    Options
    I eat almonds everyday and do use coconut oil and olive oil to roast veggies..avocados are not easy to find in my area,my fats are in range....just wondering what other people eat
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I eat almonds everyday and do use coconut oil and olive oil to roast veggies..avocados are not easy to find in my area,my fats are in range....just wondering what other people eat

Hmm, something isn't adding up. If you are meeting your fat and protein goals, then how could you be over your carbohydrate without also being over on calories? On MFP, fat calories + protein calories + carb calories = total calories.
  • divaindy
    Options
    I am doing TDEE ? 30 30 40..and my Question is what to eat that does not have carbs besides protein and veggies? I am a bit low in fats with my breakdown but not that low and I am not going to eat my food fried to get it.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Iam doing TDEE ?..and my Question is what to eat that does not have carbs behinds protein and veggies? I am a bit low in fats with my breakdown but not that and I am not going to eat my food fried to get it.

Sorry, I wasn't really suggesting fried foods, although stir fried veggies are certainly a healthy way to add low carb calories. You can add avocado, nuts or seeds to dishes to add healthy fats. Or eat more oily fish. Or use olive oil based dressings for salads and sandwiches.

I'm not sure what type of carbs you want to replace, but if you are eating too much bread you can lower your carbs by using high fiber (low net carb) wraps instead for sandwiches. The only foods I can think of that have zero carbs (or very nearly zero) are meats and that has protein.
  • divaindy
    Options
    No as I said in original post,it's mostly fruit that seems to add the carbs and baked sweet potatoes. I do not eat any bread...I eat gluten,soy,dairy,egg and peanut free. As I said before also avocados are ONLY available when in season and are very$$$ in our area. ...very rural.
    My concern with carbs is just can't figure out if too many carbs slow weight loss when the fruits are ....oranges,apples and blueberries,the only starchy veggie is sweet potatoes and I usually have a Rice Tortilla a day ( once in a great while 2)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    No as I said in original post,it's mostly fruit that seems to add the carbs and baked sweet potatoes. I do not eat any bread...I eat gluten,soy,dairy,egg and peanut free. As I said before also avocados are ONLY available when in season and are very$$$ in our area. ...very rural.
    My concern with carbs is just can't figure out if too many carbs slow weight loss when the fruits are ....oranges,apples and blueberries,the only starchy veggie is sweet potatoes and I usually have a Rice Tortilla a day ( once in a great while 2)

Unless you are insulin resistant, it's unlikely to slow your progress if you are within your calorie goal.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. Lately I've been eating a lot of hummus, fruit and veggies and some brown rice and it seems like I'm always over on carbs. It hasn't hindered me at all. I do try to balance my macros (40/30/30), but try not to stress too much if they're not perfect. Some of my go to snacks when I'm over on carbs, but need more calories are Greek yogurt with 1-2 tbs of almond butter. I know you're dairy free, but I know there's a decent almond milk yogurt on the market you could try.
  • divaindy
    Options
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. Lately I've been eating a lot of hummus, fruit and veggies and some brown rice and it seems like I'm always over on carbs. It hasn't hindered me at all. I do try to balance my macros (40/30/30), but try not to stress too much if they're not perfect. Some of my go to snacks when I'm over on carbs, but need more calories are Greek yogurt with 1-2 tbs of almond butter. I know you're dairy free, but I know there's a decent almond milk yogurt on the market you could try.
    next time I make it to town I will see if health food store carries almond milk yougurt ( doubtful so small don. ' t even have my rice tortillas regularly) but sounds like a great idea!