METFORMIN

Options
Hi... anyone have any significant weight loss using metformin in addition to watching your diet and exercise?

Replies

• annietrue
    Options
    isn't metformin used for diabetics??
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Correct. But I am diabetic and have yet to see someone lose weight from it.
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a background...I come from a long family history of diabetes. That being said; unless you're diabetic (typically type 2) or have PCOS, then you should not take this drug. If it's not necessary to treat these diseases, the side effects far out weigh the advantages.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yes annie It is used for for diabetics but is also used for women with PCOS/insulin resistance also. OP do you have PCOS or Insulin resistance?
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm assuming OP is diabetic?

My husband is on it; and he's lost about 10 lbs in a little over a month. Also was just diagnosed, so he has completely cut out all sweets and unnecessary sugars.
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Correct. But I am diabetic and have yet to see someone lose weight from it.

From everyone in my family...only one person lost a tiny bit of weight with this but from what I've seen, it's not typical.
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is also used for low blood sugar issues. That is why I take Metformin. I have not had any weight loss from the drug, but I have had loss due to diet and exercise. I have been on Metformin for 3 years now.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am on metformin for PCOS and I don't have any of the side effects with it and I really enjoy what it does for me. It helps control my sugar cravings more than anything else and when I'm on it, I find myself not craving sweets which is a miracle for me :)
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I started taking it for PCOS and lost about 40 pounds. Then my body adjusted to the dosage and I started gaining again, and my dosage was upped. Then my body adjusted again, but I was already at the max dosage, and I gained the weight back.

I was advised to continue taking it anyway.

About 2 years after all of that, I started going to the gym and using MFP and have lost 103 pounds. I seriously doubt that metformin had anything to do with it, but my Ob/Gyn has advised me to keep taking it.

I've been trying to research it some to see if I agree with him.

But yeah, I lost 40 pounds making very few changes at all.