Should I weigh every day?

Options
I'll weigh myself one day, then I weigh myself the next day and it says I weigh like 3 more pounds. I've heard that weighing yourself every day is wrong. So should I just weigh myself once a week?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can weigh every day, as long as it doesn't bug you to see the daily fluctuations, because as you said, you can go up and down several pounds from day to day, due to many factors. Some people obsess over it, some find it interesting to see how the weight changes, but don't let it bother them.

So depends on you. :smile:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    The only thing wrong with weighing yourself every day is the psychology of it all. If it isn't going to affect your dedication to your health habits weighing yourself every day is irrelevant. Your weight will always be what it is regardless of whether you weigh yourself or not. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day every day.

In the interest of science try weighing yourself in the morning then weigh yourself again that night. You will notice that your weight has gone up. It is because you take stuff in all day and by the end of the day you are going to be a bit heavier. Try not to stress about it too much just make sure you are sticking with healthy habits because no matter what you do eventually the scale and your appearance will reflect the lifestyle you have been living good or bad.
  • marysinh
    marysinh Posts: 11
    Options
    I use to do that.... Messed with my head. So now I do it the first of every month.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, at the same time everyday, after doing the same things everyday. So my weight fluctuations are minimal. However, it can be discouraging, especially if your working really hard and not seeing the scale move.

I would suggest, weighing only once a week, AND take your measurements once a month. I did that in January, and when I took them again in February I was shocked at the inches lost versus the weight lost. Inches lost is a better indicator of how much you are losing and how your body is changing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'll weigh myself one day, then I weigh myself the next day and it says I weigh like 3 more pounds. I've heard that weighing yourself every day is wrong. So should I just weigh myself once a week?

There's no right or wrong here...just preference. For me, I weigh in once a month.....because seeing all those variations and fluctuations daily just messes with my head. Other people like to weigh daily to keep them motivated and on track. That doesn't work for me :wink:
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Completely up to you. If you're ok with it, then it's fine. I personally weigh myself every morning because it puts me in the right mindset for the day. If I see that it goes down I think yes, I can do this, if it goes up I think, man that donut really wasn't worth it, lol.

Do what feels best for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've heard that weighing yourself every day is wrong. So should I just weigh myself once a week?
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day as long as you realize that it's going to go up and down and you don't let it bother you. If it bothers you then once a week is probably better as long as you are doing on a regular basis. Not weighing yourself at all is wrong. The scale is a tool, like any other, and it's only effective if you use it.

I'll also second measuring yourself. The number on the scale is relative and only you and your doctor know what it is, unless you choose to tell. The tape measure will show you what everyone else sees and indicates how well your clothes fit.
  • scubacam
    scubacam Posts: 6
    Options
    I cant do it :( weighing everyday drove me nuts
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, since your daily weight changes so much from day to day.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can do it all you want; free will being what it is. But with that said, I would not. People tend to get a little crazy watching the daily fluctuations and lose motivation for fluctuations in weight that mean nothing at all.
  • JoPowell83
    JoPowell83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Completely up to you. If you're ok with it, then it's fine. I personally weigh myself every morning because it puts me in the right mindset for the day. If I see that it goes down I think yes, I can do this, if it goes up I think, man that donut really wasn't worth it, lol.

That is exactly how I look at it! Very well said :)
  • rfphoenix
    Options
    I use to do that.... Messed with my head. So now I do it the first of every month.

I was never much concerned with the scale until my doctor told me I was obese according to my BMI. Didn't weigh myself for 3 months after I changed my diet and routine. Now I weigh myself once a month to keep track of my progress.

It's definitely a psychological thing since daily fluctuations can be a real downer.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Two different scales. I was 190, then 195, then 193.5 across three days. An hour after I was 193.5, I weighed myself again on the more accurate scale and I was 189.5. Craziness like that helps me treat the scale as nothing but a joke. I log it all in and keep track of my new low points. I think I'm still losing :)
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday it is my motivation and I don't let the ups mess with my head. I know that weight flucuates on a daily basis also on a monthly basis as well when the hormones like to go screwy with TOM.
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself once a week because of the daily fluctuations but however you want to do it is fine, just don't get demotivated by what you see.
  • roxy08fox
    roxy08fox Posts: 37 Member
    Options

^ THIS!!!