When did you get rid of clothes that dont "fit" anymore?

Options

Replies

• vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do a monthly clean out and when I have a full sack off they go
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I never had the frame of mind that I might need those clothes again someday, so for things that had been part of my daily wardrobe, I gave them away as soon as they started to look unflattering on me. For things I hadn't worn in a long time that had already been shoved to the back of the closet, I didn't actually sort through those until I moved about a year ago, and then it was out of necessity that I get rid of stuff.

I've been pretty much the same size for the past year, so everything in my closet fits me now, and I haven't given away anything in a while. And not having larger sizes in my closet keeps me in check with my diet and workouts. I would be so disappointed if I had to go out and buy larger pants or skirts or whatever, so I do my best to avoid that.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I buy way too many clothes. I wear something and then wash it and hang it on the left side of my closet. Every couple months, I take everything from the right side of my closet (stuff I haven't been wearing) and take it into work. Give it to the guys. Some of it has been worn only once. I don't hang onto stuff I don't wear or doesn't fit right.

Note: There is one guy here at work that is usually wearing something that was mine at least 2 to 3 times a week.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Every time I come across clothes that no longer fit, I take it out to a box in the storage building (which is now overflowing). I was hanging on to things because we were thinking about having another kid soon. But I think I will probably give most of it to good will when we move in a month or so. Because frankly even if I do get pregnant, I won't get as big as I was before.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I am too lazy to do it. I have more clothes that don't fit than clothes that do.

Not to lazy to go to the gym 6 days a week, though. What are you gonna do :)
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As soon as they were too big, I got rid of them!
    No going back!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Every chace i got, but i did keep my favorite shirta nd pants from when i was super heavy, and from to time dig them out and try them on just for giggles
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If pants or skirt, when the size is about 3 inches off your waist. For tops used for office work, if shoulder droops 1.5 inches from the bone joining your shoulders and arm.

I started my weight loss in january. I gave away all size 18 and I am now size 14. I still keep the size 16 until I drop to a size 12.

This is about how I handle it too. I am in a 12-14 but still keep some 16s for those bloated days. The rest leaves the house.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I put on something the other day that I used to wear 15 pounds ago, and I felt like I had gained everything back! I felt awful in an outfit I had previously loved. I don't think it was THAT big on me, but it made me feel yuck, so I chucked it. I decided to go through a lot of things, and now they are in a bag in the trunk of my car, waiting their final destination....Goodwill!!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Right away for me! Even ditched some XXLs that were borderline the minute I looked good in XL. No going back!!!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    get rid of them ASAP! :bigsmile:
    to make room for new trendy clothes :):wink:
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have to honestly say, that anything that I was wearing when I was a size 20, I probably would never wear again anyway! My wardrobe consisited of what I call "I don't care how I look clothes". Now that I am a size 8, I wear more girly, pretty clothes that I actually feel comfortable being seen in! So yes, when they get big, I find someone who could use them, or I give them to the goodwill!
  • traccie2
    Options
    My jeans are tight right out of the dryer and hanging off me after Ive broken them in.

Gawd, don't you just HATE that????!!!!
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have made the weight loss journey before (from a 24 to a 4) and back up again. I had gotten rid of all my fat things above a size 12. I regretted this ultimately when I had to break down and buy plus sized stuff other than yoga pants and t-shirts.

So now I keep the most expensive/nicest (most costly to replace if I need to) items from my wardrobe, and get rid of the others as soon as they are a couple sizes too big (they bag on me). Also give away anything that might look dated the second time you may need to wear it. I tend to buy expensive things when I am thin, so I have a lot of "skinny" clothes I packed away hoping to lose enough to wear again. It really is painful to have to buy "fat" clothes more than once. If you are not done childbearing, be mindful of this and keep some back, but put out of circulation so you aren't able to "grow" back into them.

I would say keep anything that made you feel pretty when you wore it, but for me that was only stuff in the "skinny" boxes.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    I have to honestly say, that anything that I was wearing when I was a size 20, I probably would never wear again anyway! My wardrobe consisited of what I call "I don't care how I look clothes". Now that I am a size 8, I wear more girly, pretty clothes that I actually feel comfortable being seen in! So yes, when they get big, I find someone who could use them, or I give them to the goodwill!

This was me, too. And the funny thing is that back then (I was once an 18/20), I thought I looked stylish! And sometimes I did. I did have some nice, expensive "special occasion" clothes. But my regular work clothes ... I wouldn't be caught dead dressed like that now, even if I did gain weight. Losing weight pretty much forced me to learn more about clothes and proper fit. I could always fall back to Lane Bryant when I was fat, but when I lost weight, I had to find new stores and new styles. I had to start wearing belts (which I never had to do before because I would never have tucked my top in before), and that led to learning how to use accessories. I had to buy all new shoes because I lost a size and a half! I consider myself a very well-dressed person now.
  • traccie2
    Options
    The reality is, almost all of us *will* regain the weight we lose within a year.

I have to say I disagree with this as well. Most people who regain their weight back do so because they either have a medical problem or they fell off of the wagon. We can't help what happens to us medically but we are not **obligated** to quit and gain back our weight, we CHOOSE to quit and the results are.... TA DAAAA.... We gain back the weight.

In 2002 I weighed over 350 lbs. At that time I stopped getting on the scale. I have no idea what I topped off at before I finally started to work on it. By 2005 I had lost 190 lbs by changing the way I ate and by exersizing. I have gained a few times since then but I never gotten over 200 lbs and everytime I have gained weight it was due to either an injury that left me unable to get around or my own laziness/depression/emotional eating.

I can promise you I absolutely DO NOT own a single one of those over size 20s that I use to wear and I absolutely am NOT going to keep them "just incase" I become my old fat self.

I am accountable for my actions. I'm not a helpless person subject to some weird happening of god or the universe as I sit here just cringing in my size 12 dress pants wondering if I'm going to be slammed upside the head by a meteor from outer space that screws up my metabolism.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    I can understand gaining the weight back if you only had 15 to 20 lbs to lose. It doesn't take a drastic change in your lifestyle to get rid of that, so it is conceivable that you might gain a lot of it back, and it might happen pretty quickly. But I just don't believe it's common for someone who loses a LOT of weight through diet and exercise to gain it back within a year. I'm not saying it never, ever happens. I just think it's ridiculous to suggest that "almost all of us" will gain back the weight we lost within a year.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I keep them for days that I "feel" huge, that way I put the big clothes on and feel smaller.

Yeah. Dumb. I know.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't think people should be discouraged by the fact that most people regain weight, however they manage to lose it.
    Since I know that this is true and I know that I am not special, I know that I have to work hard and be vigilant.
    If (when) I fall off the wagon for a while, I know that this does not make me a failure, a weak-willed loser: it just means that I am human, like everyone else, struggling in our modern obesogenic environment. That knowledge makes it easier for me to get back on track.
  • KageyKat
    KageyKat Posts: 45
    Options
    Interesting question, thanks for posting. I have about 4 bags of clothes in my closet that don't fit. I told my husband I would not get rid of them until I've kept the weight off for a year. Looking at these posts is making me re-think that decision. It maybe that I'm holding onto to the big clothes to give myself an out if I need it.