Fear

Options
Last week I was looking into gastric bypass surgery, that was until I told a friend of mine. Last week we started working out together and I have found that am in a lot worse shape than I thought. Since we have been working out I have found myself looking for excuses not to run; "I hate it," "My knee hurts," "I have homework," I have come with plenty. I thought she didnʻt know I was coming up with excuses, at least I thought she didnʻt. Today she sends me a text basically calling me out. I wanted to balk at the attitude but then I realized she really cares about me and my health (unlike I do about myself). She told me she didnʻt want to see me stay heavy and she didnʻt want me to go back to the doctor. After my first run my knee swelled to the size of a cantaloupe and it stayed that way for four days. I know my weight is the reason for my knee problems but I donʻt have the motivation to work hard to lose the weight. I have always been happy with my size but now I am realizing that my weight is preventing me from having children. I have always been raised to pray to god and he will answer your prayers. Well I have been praying to god for almost ten years and I am just now realizing that I need to do more than just pray. My fear is that I will just give up and let my friend down. As much as I hate to I am going to try to stay motivated with these workouts but I really need help.

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    though getting active is a good thing, your knee is telling you NO RUNNING. seriously, u will damage your knee if u run at this point.

walking is good, swimming, pilates, yoga.

lemme guess: your friend is a "normal" or low weight? well she may love and support u, but she aint a doc and does not understand the pressure on the knees of an overweight person while running.

i know your post is about much more than knees and running, but i felt it important to warn you.
    exercise? yes. running? NO.
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    I have found that waking up and telling myself something positive has really helped...
    I write down motivational things and read them.
    While working out I tell myself that I can and will get through it, and then I will get to have my shake (which I so look forward to after every workout). When you believe in yourself you can do anything. Sure it sucks, and the pain can be unbearable, but the result in the end is the best (so I've heard)... It wont be easy, and it may not always be fun, but it will in the end be worth it.
    Know that you got this!! and you have a very supportive friend willing to be right by your side through your exercises (the way I see it you're pretty lucky) :)... I have MFP friends which are awesome, and my challenge group (also online, also very awesome)
    I wish you all the best, I can't wait to read your success story after sticking it out!! You will notice a difference quickly if you keep to it, I promise!! :D
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i started at well over 200 pounds, and injured my knee training for a half marathon (walking only).

then, a trainer encouraged me to RUN...this compounded my knee further. i know from whence i speak.

they say every pound of excess body weight is an added 4-8 lbs of impact on a knee. this is why running is best reserved for when u are closer to goal.
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    though getting active is a good thing, your knee is telling you NO RUNNING. seriously, u will damage your knee if u run at this point.

walking is good, swimming, pilates, yoga.

lemme guess: your friend is a "normal" or low weight? well she may love and support u, but she aint a doc and does not understand the pressure on the knees of an overweight person while running.

i know your post is about much more than knees and running, but i felt it important to warn you.
    exercise? yes. running? NO.

I also agree with this---if your knees are saying no..listen to them.. in time you will get to that point where running will be something your body accepts! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    You may have started too hard. Start with walking - at your weight, your joints will thank you. Tell your friend about the injury. She sounds like a good friend, and she'll understand you wanting to work up to running. Not many people go from the couch to running all-at-once.

Check out the Couch to 5K running program online, it's a sensible way to begin running to avoid injury. The site it is on has all kinds of good running tips, including when to slow down once you have injuries.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think it's GREAT that you have a friend who loves you enough to call you out and help you get on track. I also think it's great that you are exploring losing weight through diet changes and exercises instead of surgery.

I understand 1000% what you mean about dreading exercise because I used to dread it too. In fact, I still dread most exercise. What I've done instead is look for exercises that I can do that aren't overwhelming to me. I've found that I really enjoy walking and that's a good start for me. Maybe that would work for you.

You can do this. Don't give up on yourself. There is a success story out there with your name on it - all you have to do is write it!
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You have a wonderful friend and you can thank God she is in your life. She was willing to call you out and some friends would not. However, that being said, if you knee swelled that much then running is not for you YET!. Sit her down and tell her what happened to your knee and ask her if she minds walking or swimming or any other exercise that would not be high impact for the time being until you get some of the weight off.

You have prayed to God for 10 years and he answered your prayers, he sent your friend to help you. Sometimes it is just hard for us to see what he is saying.

Check out Youtube for low impact aerobics or exercise. I bet there are alot of things there that you can do and right in your own home. See if your friend minds walking at a local park where it is pretty. Sometimes nature hikes are more fun than just walking around the block.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Im here everyday and we can motivate each other
  • crops2dawn
    crops2dawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! Please, no more running, at least for now. I never exercised, and in the beginning it was sooo hard, but I keep on truckin' along..what started out of just 5 min at day, now I am doing an 50 minutes....start slow and work your way up! You can do this I know you can!!!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'd like to encourage you to start losing the weight naturally. You do NOT need to have killer workouts or run 5 miles everyday to lose weight. If you just follow the calorie guidelines given here and do whatever activity you can, you will lose the weight. DON'T be in a rush to lose it. Losing one pound per week is very good. Just stay focused on the LONG TERM. In one year you will be at least 52 pounds lighter. Just remember...you didn't gain it all overnight and you can't SAFELY lose it all overnight.

I wish you the best.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know that finding the motivation is the biggest part of this journey. Having bariatric surgery is a very big step, but for me it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I am alot older than you and had gotten to the point that my weight controlled my life and was causing so many health complications.
    It took me 3 years from the time I first consulted the surgeon to the time I finally realized that I couldn't do it on my own. However, it is not easy as some might think. You have to really be commited to be approved and to be successful afterward.
    Whatever you decide, you are lucky to have your friend who cares. Don't give up, just find what works for you.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You don't need to walk hard, hun. Once your knee is settled, get back out there and just walk as briskly as you can without injury, and do that for 20-40 minutes every day. Eat smaller portions. You should see some results. Once this becomes your norm, you can walk harder or run. You can tweak what you eat to be more healthful. You can do that anytime really. But the beginning is always awful, as your brain and body fight to take the path of least resistance to sustain you. Once you feel the benefits of this lifestyle change, you'll find the excuses are harder to come by.

PS - one of my friends had gastric bypass, and she has a terrible time just eating. All day, every day. She can only have these tiny portions or she becomes ill. She's also gained some of the weight back. If your doc isn't recommending this as emergency treatment, try to handle this on your own. I have another friend who was an easy 400lb. Almost unable to walk. She's lost 125lb the good ol' fashioned way. You can do it.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like you. She's nowhere near ready to start running, but wants an accountability partner for her workouts. Even if we go to the gym and end up doing our own thing (she'll get on a bike while I run on a treadmill), we are making sure the other one gets her exercise done. It sounds like God may be answering your prayers in the form of a friend who really wants you to acheive your goals. Just make sure you're working at your own level. If she's more fit than you, you may not be able to work out in the same ways, but I wouldn't discount her as a real motivator, especially if she's willing to call you out on your excuse-making. Good luck to you!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    if you're in pain you shouldn't push yourself to do what your body can't handle right now, try an exercise bike
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to stop running. Try like others suggested, something a little easier on the joints. I just started exercising, and I take it easy. I listen to my joints. When they hurt, I stop and find something else to do that still keeps my heart rate up but doesn't put so much weight on my joints.

Talk to your friend, explain that while fitness and becoming healthy are still goals, you need to start out slowly. Walking, swimming, zumba, all good ideas.
  • mkd1955
    mkd1955 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, take your time and find an exercise that you can do and doesn't cause pain. You are on the right track and lucky to have that friend. Good luck to you!
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    Walk, do water aerobics, lift weights, take the stairs...you can pray for years but if you're not moving or trying God can't help you. There are tons of workouts for even the most obese you just have to get to aplace where you want it more than the cheeseburger and candybar..when you really want it..you'll do it ♥♥
  • I don't run. I hate it with a passion. When I first started exercising I took up running because that's what everyone else was doing. My knees hurt, my calves hurt, my shins hurt, my back hurt, my feet hurt. Everyone kept giving me advice like get new shoes and get this and do that and still after 6 months and hundreds of dollars on crap everything still hurt so I stopped running.

Start small, most people when they begin exercising they go too hard too fast and injury themselves which means they stop working out because it's too hard. Water is an excellent place to work out, an aqua aerobics class is a fabulous workout and you don't realise how hard you have worked until you get out of the pool, the water takes the pressure of the joints.

Most weight loss comes from diet too. Use diet to lose weight and exercise to get healthy. A 10 minute brisk walk is 100% better than staying at home on the couch. Just do a little more each day, the motivation will come when you see the results and start feeling better about yourself