FRUIT AND VEGGIES TRACKING

Options
I done weight watchers a couple of years ago and most fruit and veggies were free points within reason, I'm trying to figure out if i should or shouldn't track the ones i know are free with weight watchers, cause they eat up about 250 calories a day for me , any suggestions?

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes you add all of them even celery and 250 calories is a lot. With tracking all of them you are also able to correctly track protein fats and carbs and fiber is very important too and should be a category you add to track.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Track everything - losing weight is all about calories. WW does a great disservice to its members with that "rule".

250 calories a day is a lot! Track everything.
  • otterriver
    Options
    yes track all for an acurate calorie total
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    This isn't Weight Watchers....the roadmap looks a bit different here. In theory both routes will get you to the same place...but I like the scenery on the MFP route, and it isn't a toll road.
  • ChelleSimmo7
    ChelleSimmo7 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student and also have been contemplating this. I have also done WW and i know what your talking about. In my quest for the veggie tracking truth (talking with nurses, athletic trainers, own personal knowledge, etc.) I know that you really cant have to much of fruits or veggies. For myself and my own personal weight loss log i have decided to not track fruit unless it is canned or packaged in a syrup- even if it says sugar free or light. Same with my vegetables. A peach as a snack is no big deal but canned peaches is 100 calories for 1/4 cup....THATS CRAZY!! Id rather eat the whole real thing anyways. This is just my perspective though, really, you can do whatever suits you best :) Hope this has helped you to make a choice or at least weigh some options.
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and veggies should be enjoyed to the limit of your bowel comfort lol. They are mostly low calorie (except potatoes) if served without sugars and fats, full of fibre, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and help you to feel full, when eaten with lots of water. Why limit them? I can eat at least my 5 portions a day well within my low calorie limits.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Every calorie counts.

That said, I don't track lettuce any more. I used to. Plus, I don't eat a lot of lettuce so it's 20-30 calories a week, maybe.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    You should track everything, especially so you know what vitamins you're getting and all that good stuff. Through tracking all my food I figured out that I need more potassium so now I can work on getting it!
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    250 calories per day is about 25 pounds per year, so I would definitely count them. That being said, eating plenty of fruit and vegetables isn't a bad thing for the reasons mentioned by others. The only problem I could see is that if you're eating a very limited calorie count, eating 250 calories of fruits/vegetables means that those 250 calories have almost no protein and that might make it more difficult to get your daily protein needs covered while staying under your calorie target.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ww factors in "free" fruits and veggies into its points system so it is likely that the calories you ate (not including the free fruits and veggies) was lower than the calorie amount mfp suggests for you. However, when you add in the calories for those fruits and veggies, the calorie counts evens out.

This leaves you with two options. If you like the idea of unlimited fruits and veggies, and you feel this really helps you eat more healthy (which is the reasoning behind why ww made this decision) decrease your mfp calorie goal by a couple hundred or so and dont bother tracking the veggies.

Personally, after I stopped doing weight watchers, I began tracking fruits and veggies. I like seeing that I am getting my micronutrients in. What I did instead to ensure I was eating at least some minimal amount of fruits and veggies was physically track the number of servings in the blank notes section that mfp provides. So if I ate two servings of strawberries and serving a blueberries, a serving of salad, a serving mushrooms, and a serving of carrots I would write in fruit: 3/3 and veggies 3/4. Kept me on track getting my 7 a day and I didnt have to worry about if eating that banana was really going to put me over calories.