What's a good way to make this? ("Fried" sweet potatoes)

Options
Well, you know how we've had fried potatoes with I dunno, spaghetti or steak or something? (Ok, at least I did growing up.. MMMMM)

Well I am having a steak (Did I mention MmMmM? loI) wanted to make this with sweet potatoes. What's a good way to season them without salt, to get that "Fried potato" feel?
I don't want them to be sweet. (yes, I know they are sweet potatoes :P)
I'd like them spicy/salty (well, ok, not salty =( lol) like fried potatoes. Any ideas??

(Every recipe I find online, they add brown sugar and all this sweet stuff. lol)

Replies

• cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. Let me know what you find. I'm am totally a fried potato kinda girl!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I cut a large sweet potato into wedges, put in a gallon zip bag. In a bowl, mix 1 tbsp olive oil and seasonings such as cumin, garlic powder, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, etc... pour the seasoned olive oil over the potato wedges in the bag and shake to coat. Spread potatoes out on a baking sheet and bake on 450 or 475 after about 15 minutes check them and flip them once the one side turns brown (or black - mine are usually black and almost look burnt when I flip them but they don't taste burnt at all). Good luck, just experiment with them!
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I cut a large sweet potato into wedges, put in a gallon zip bag. In a bowl, mix 1 tbsp olive oil and seasonings such as cumin, garlic powder, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, etc... pour the seasoned olive oil over the potato wedges in the bag and shake to coat. Spread potatoes out on a baking sheet and bake on 450 or 475 after about 15 minutes check them and flip them once the one side turns brown (or black - mine are usually black and almost look burnt when I flip them but they don't taste burnt at all). Good luck, just experiment with them!

This is about how I make them too, and they are DELICIOUS!!
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mmmm...I love sweet potatoes, just about any way you can make them.

I'd like to know how else to make them too...

(fried like a regular potato, fries, sliced and grilled in foil...)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You can add a small amount of sea salt. Won't do much harm if you are drinking enough water.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I agree, I pretty much never use salt! You could use Mrs. Dash if you are not comfortable with mixing spices. I make my own spice blends without salt and my husband the salt-aholic never notices! I add Cayenne pepper to almost everything for an added kick as well!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I usually just cook them down with cinnamon and butter, but that OO recipe sounds interesting, so,,,

BUMP for later. :drinker:
  • lydaugherty
    Options

Sounds good, but I don't have an oven so I will probably try this on the stove top! (Gas oven never works, it's lit and all that, but it won't stay on for very long (like 3 minutes max, then stays off lol), landlord won't fix it! But anyway, lol)
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know about FRIED, but the way we make them is terribly delicious!
    Peel a huge sweet potato (enough for two), cut into large chunks and toss in a little olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper- or pepper blend. Make a foil pouch and put the sweets into it. Preheat your grill to around 400* and add the pouch to the upper rack if you have one (around the outside if you don't, want medium-high heat not burning!). Roast the pouch for about 20min, flip and roast another 10-15 or until you can feel them softening. We always let the pouch sit while we grill the steaks or other veg (I'm a vegetarian). Then top the sweet chunks with sour cream!
    YUMMMMMMM!
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    I make a recipe for sweetpotato fries that I am addicted to! I peel and cut the potatos into wedges roughly 1/4" thick (think homefries) and put them in a bowl. Drizzle some olive oil over them and generously sprinkle on chili powder, chipotle chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, a little sea salt and just about 1 tsp. sugar--this isn't enough to really sweeten them or cause any calorie damage, but it helps to carmelize them and really boosts the flavor of the spices. Toss them with your hands to evenly distribute the spices. Put them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 375 degrees for roughly 20-30 mins or until they are done to your liking. I like them crisp and even a little burnt, lol. Good luck and enjoy.
    p.s. I am very sensitive to sodium and retain water easily. I have found that sea salt doesn't blow me up at all. I use Redmond Real Salt that I get from my local healthfood store.
  • jermee
    jermee Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been cooking sweet potatoes on the bbq for years. Cut in slices not, too thick, toss in a little olive oil, seasoning salt and chipolte powder. Cook on the grill until soft, they will start to brown a bit. Love dipping them in bbq sauce.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    mm these all sound good, bumping for later thanks
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    yum yum!!! Bump
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A little black pepper, a little sea salt, a little rosemary and a little olive oil. Cut the sweet potato into "steak" fries, shake in in a ziplock with the abovementioned seasonings (sometimes I add a dash of cayenne pepper). Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes, turning once. Make sure you dont have any points on your fries or they will turn black.
  • kimberleighdiane
    Options
    This might sound weird but for the crunch that you get when you fry I have a cool little trick.
    Cut your potatoes into "fries"
    add 1 tsp of egg whites per potato
    season with pepper and paprika
  • danazsweet
    danazsweet Posts: 52
    Options
    I love a sweet potato just baked in the oven like a baked potato. I cut it in half when done (about an hour at 350) and I add a tsp of smart balance butter, and a tsp of honey with a little sea salt.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    this is my Saturday night treat! I cut the sweet potato into McDonald's size french fries, then spray them with canola oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Bake low for the most part, about 325, then turn it up at the end to add the crisp, about 375. Since they are cut thin, they don't take that long to cook - and I don't like steak fries anyway!

I cook mine in my toaster oven. That is one of the best investements I've ever made. That and a good digital scale!
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    I don't have an oven. Lol.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I agree with tossing the "fries" in a couple tablespoons EVOO, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and just the tiniest pinch of sea salt (the salt brings out the natural sweetness - I probably use about 1/8 or 1/4 tsp for an entire sheet pan of "fries").

Since you said your oven is out, you could probably just cook them in a frying pan on the stove... but you may want to use half EVOO and half coconut oil (or canola or whatever you have), just because olive oil tends to burn quicker.
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    I agree with tossing the "fries" in a couple tablespoons EVOO, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and just the tiniest pinch of sea salt (the salt brings out the natural sweetness - I probably use about 1/8 or 1/4 tsp for an entire sheet pan of "fries").

Since you said your oven is out, you could probably just cook them in a frying pan on the stove... but you may want to use half EVOO and half coconut oil (or canola or whatever you have), just because olive oil tends to burn quicker.

Sounds good! I do cook my sweet potatoes in coconut oil very often as a snack. (I'd shoot myself before I eat canola oil (that is, to my knowledge! lol) hehehehe)