Looking to purchase a heart rate monitor

Options
aedfit
aedfit Posts: 65 Member
Can anyone recommend a good monitor that tracks calories burned? Don't want to break the bank but also want something that's going to be as close to accurate as possible.

Replies

• cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    Me too...I'll be watching to see what everyone recommends!:smile:
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I got a polar f6 at sears on sale for $55, normally over $100. you might check sears.com, they may still be on sale. I love it, lots of cool stuff on it.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline at Wal Mart...has the chest strap as well. It was $50. Same one, same brand but with a different model name (to differentiate from Wal Mart, I suppose) is at ****'s Sporting Goods for $85. It works well!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar F6, I recommend just making sure that whatever you get has a chest strap, that'll make it as accurate as possible, also the ability to put in your age, sex, height and weight. I use mine everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, and has allowed me to better manage my health/weight
  • katstorm27
    Options
    I have a garmin - the Forerunner 405. My husband bought it for me about a year ago around $350.00 I think. Kind of pricy but it was the best purchase EVER!! It will track your not only your calories but also if your a runner tracks how far you went and your pace.
    Hope this helps.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Everyone swears by the Polar f6 but the only con (for me) is that you can't change the batteries yourself. You'll have to ship it back.

I have the timex zone fitness cost about the same as the Polar f6 (amazon) and it is digital so it doesn't get interference with other HRM's or gym equipment. Also you can replace your own batteries. It seems to be pretty accurate.

By the way it is a HRM with the chest strap.

What ever you chose try to get one with the chest strap as I have found them to be more accurate.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I too swear by my polar f6, well worth the money, and the best thing I've ever bought myself.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I know sear.com has another Polar but it's an F4 - for 44.88 dollars.

here is the link. Good luck!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00614446000P?blockNo=3&blockType=G3&keyword=polar+heart+rate+monitor&prdNo=3
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    This really is one of those situations that you get what you pay for. if you want to go cheap then I would personally say not to bother as the results this web site gives you will be as close and probably as accurate.

To get much closer figures you need to invest in a good one WITH a chest strap. The polar products are amazing and I love mine simply because it automatically sync's in with ever piece of gym equipment in every gym I've been to which means no holding bars to get my heart rate; it's always on the screen.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with most everyone else on the thread. Polar F6 and a chest strap. Really helps you push yourself to burn the number of calories you want in a workout. No more guessing. Know what you have burnt so you know what you can eat.

I have this one and love it. Instructions are simple and easy to use.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000F6DV4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1276004097&sr=8-1
  • jessicakate26
    Options
    Agree with a lot of these posts! Polar F6 is amazing...very good money spent! I got mine off Amazon just a couple weeks ago and LOVE it!!!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 all the way. Bought mine with my flexible spending account. best investment ever!
  • aedfit
    aedfit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!