I hurt my knee running!! Any advice?

Options
Yesterday I went for a 5 mile run/walk, and by night time my right knee was pretty swollen--and it was difficult to walk around, especially going up and down steps. Today, my knee feels a bit better and is a little less swollen---but I'm trying to train for a half marathon (and lose a few pounds so not exercising is disapointing!). I don't want to lose my progress but I also don't want to further injure my knee. Should I lay off running for a bit? Do you think it would be safe to cycle in the gym instead of running?..Frusturating!! I'm new to this whole running and injury thing so any advice is much appreciated!

Replies

• sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would rest/ice it for at least a few days. Running with an injury can put you out for a while, its better to play it safe. Have you recently upped your mileage? Are your shoes decent, etc??
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Rest it. Ice it down, and just take a few days off. I understand you wanting to do something, but if its swelling, its your body telling you something is wrong.
  • SSarahh23
    SSarahh23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Rest, rest and more rest :(

I get ankle issues from running and whenever I'm going through a bad patch (i.e it's sore) I cycle instead. I don't always go very intense, but it makes me feel better to just do *something*.

Hope it feels better soon!
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Rest & ice for sure...and then maybe a day or so on the elliptical if you can do it with no pain before you try to run again. : )