Cardio vs weights

Options
I've got 30 pounds to lose in 4 months.... What's best just cardio.... Cardio..... Cardio or 30 min cardio and light weight with lots of reps??

Replies

• haileysugarfits
    haileysugarfits Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Anyone???
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Lifting and HIIT :-)

The light weight lots of reps theory doesn't work!

Add me if you want some more advice!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for shedding pounds, weights are good for shedding inches. I would try to incorporate both.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and HIIT
  • Bug207
    Bug207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a ton of mixed feedback on this one... don't take it personally when folks here chastise you for wanting to lift light. I say do whatever you enjoy most. If you like both cardio and weights, I would absolutely go for a mix between the two. Just push yourself, eat healthily, and have fun!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Some cardio and real weight lifting... not the light ones.

Also, diet is KEY, and just as, if not more important than your workout.
  • plumkzy
    plumkzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest splitting up doing both cardio and weights. You can do weights M-W-F and cardio for 30-60 minutes on the rest. I would use Sunday as a rest day. If you work hard and watch what you eat, it is a reachable goal.
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I say both. I have done high intensity cardio ( insanity) alone and definitely lost weight but when I mixed in weights with insanity alternating days I really saw myself "tighten" up I guess I would say....I gained a bit of weight , not much...but my pants got looser so it is obviously working. Good luck. And remember nutrition is a huge factor.
  • Mishieru131
    Options
    If you are looking for straight weight loss then you''ll want to stick with cardio. However, I would highly recommend strength training as a means of saying fit and healthy over the long term. The problem with just doing cardio is that once you stop doing it (or do it less frequently) you risk gaining all the weight back. By gaining muscle not only will you look better but you'll have a higher resting metabolism. Balance is always the key.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Focus on inches, not pounds.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've got 30 pounds to lose in 4 months.... What's best just cardio.... Cardio..... Cardio or 30 min cardio and light weight with lots of reps??

Losing weight requires a calorie deficit.

Cardio engages the large muscles, mainly those in the lower limbs - glutes, hammies, calf muscles. When you use those muscles to use cardio, you're doing a lot more work than when you do a general weight lifting workout because most weightlifting workouts include core and upper body muscles, as well.

It's very, very difficult to do as much work with, for example, your biceps as you can with your glutes or quads. Sure, you could spend a lot of time doing curls but you'd be overworking muscles that aren't designed to do lots of work so why bother, right?

"toning up" - total marketing hype. Muscle fibers can get thicker and get longer but if things are saggy, it's because of fat. If you want to get stronger, that's fine but it's very hard to increase muscle mass to make your muscles show through. Drop the fat % and the muscles will be more visible.
  • haileysugarfits
    haileysugarfits Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Weight, cardio and HIIT. Don't forget about the eating properly part.