Need new breakfast ideas...

Options
My dilemma is this. I do NOT like eggs or yogurt!

I have been eating oatmeal for what feels like months now and I'm over it, what is a good start to my day that does NOT include yogurt or eggs. Now to be more of a pain in the butt, it's also got to be kind of quite :)

Let's see what you guys can give in the form of ideas. Thanks-

GO~

Replies

• lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal are you eating? I find that the possibilities with oatmeal are ENDLESS! I have been eating oatmeal for years, and when I get bored, I just try something new!. I use regular oats, not prepackaged - then I do different things with it such as:

1. mash a banana and cook it in there - add toppings such as peanut butter, almonds, raisins, different fruit, shredded coconut

2. overnight oats - soak oats in the fridge in milk of choice (i use almond milk) and in the morning add your favorite toppings (this is great for summer)

3. Pancakes - there are great recipes using oats that are very healthy. You just have to watch out and not add tons of calories with butter and sugar!

Otherwise you can try a high fiber, high protein cereal - watch out for sugar though, it'll get you every time.

And, who says you have to eat "breakfast" for breakfast? Eat whatever you want!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Multigrain waffles or pancakes, or even french toast. Just go easy on the syrup.
  • jlmarshmallow
    Options
    I have been eating the Kashi go lean bars and they are quite filling and make a quick easy breakfast, sometimes i pair them with half a banana or half an apple. They have the figer and protein you need and most are quite yummy.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What I make for my son (since I LOVE yogurt, hehe) is a "healthy" version of french toast...

I take 1 piece of sprouted whole wheat bread...

1 egg, vanilla for flavoring (no sugar) and cinnamon...and then cook it up! If you want to sweeten on top, use a dab of honey rather than syrup.
  • danazsweet
    danazsweet Posts: 52
    Options
    I love fruit smoothies in the morning! A cup of unsweetned rice or almond milk, frozen fruit of your choice, a little ice and a scoop of protein powder... yummy! i also add baby spinach (turns it green, but you can't even taste it) and freshly ground flax seed.
  • Richelle73
    Richelle73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Adding fruit to your oatmeal! LOL Cheerios with a banana or strawberries. Toast with peanut butter on it...I have been eating oatmeal also but with 1/2 cup of blueberries. Then i might have cereal a couple days later or I have one egg on toast. I don't like eggs by themselves. But I guess you don't have to worry about that. LOL Wish I could be more helpful.
  • upsy
    upsy Posts: 42
    Options
    Green leaves (salads) + smoked marcrel/smoked salmon/tuna in brine (without brine) + fresh cucumber/tomatoe + Furikake (seasoning, japanese, with toasted sesamee seeds and seaweed) + Ume plum sauce (tastes like salty water, not vinegary at all) + you can add peppers if you like
    plum sauce
    http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=109330
    Furikake
    http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/japanesefoodfurikake.shtml?E+scstore
    These two are my favorites with many foods as you need so little to make food taste great!

As i make breakfast my main meal, i eat ~ 450 kcal, then i have some ciabatta too (with hummus or nothing) and fruits for desert. It keeps me satisfied from 6 AM till 12AM at least.

If you like, then great source of protein is cottage cheese + parsley, dill, spring onions, chives, smoked salmon etc and slice of bread.

You can try fresh smoothies with buttermilk/natural yogurt/milk + fruits.

Toast with cheese + strawberries with custard will be around ~ 450 kcal and sure you WILL enjoy :D

The same oats you can freshen up with fruits and nuts (but honestly they are rich in calories, thats why i eat them only time after time boiled in water, i prefer bread (multi grain)).
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    For the waffles or french toast you get use the Brummel & Brown Strawberry spread! It's 50 calories per Tbsp. I use it on my toast. I use village hearth light wheat bread, which is 40 calories per slice, two slices = 80 calories and I can divide the 1 Tbsp of Brummel & Brown between both pieces to = 130 calories. I also just found 100 calorie bagels, in the cold isle of Wal Mart. Two of those and one Tbsp of Brummel & Brown = 250 calories. I also have found some lower calorie englis muffins and Smuckers sugar free blackberry jam is only 10 calories per Tbsp.
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    Well so far for breakfast I have had Cedar Lane's bean and cheese burrito, Organic!!:bigsmile: I LOVE it!!!! Its delicious not high in calories and better yet organic!! I also eat Amy's its organic food that you microwave delish!!!:heart: hope I helped:flowerforyou:
  • upsy
    Options
    Peanutbutter (without sugar!) on toast and slices of fruit on top (apples taste great) - couldnt be faster! :D
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Low fat BLT. Whole wheat toast or bagel thin, turkey bacon, reduced fat or no mayo, tomatoes. Maybe some reduced fat cheese. You can always cook bacon ahead of time and then just reheat in microwave. Or reduced fat cheese with spray butter--grilled cheese sandwich. I can't do fruit for breakfast, it just seems to make me hungrier. I need a hearty breakfast because I get up early with 2 little ones!
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I Love Hungry Jack wheat Blueberry pancakes and they are only about 160 calories for 3 pancakes with sugar free syrup!
  • upsy
    Options
    I can't do fruit for breakfast, it just seems to make me hungrier. I need a hearty breakfast because I get up early with 2 little ones!
    I was the same first two months (i have 4 little ones, one of them breastfeeding), had to eat at least 2 slices of bread with something, then i swaped one bread with salads and fruit - i get more iron (tomatoes) and protein (fish, chicken), loads of vit C (salads and fruits) and since then i actually feel more energetic (mostly i think i was low on iron, cause that makes people feel tired).
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    cereal - high fiber, high protein, low sugar

all natural power bars

toasted pb&j you can use whole wheat bread, sugar free fruit preserves, or fresh fruit, and natural or reduced fat pb.

wraps with leftover meat from dinner, deli turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, ect.

apple slices with pb dip

rice cake with reduced fat cream cheese, sugar free fruit preserves, and sliced kiwi and strawberries

protein smoothies

basically any sandwich you can think of

try quinoa to replace your oatmeal? you may have to cook it ahead of time and store in the fridge and then add flavor in the morning. some things to add flavor could be cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, canned pumpkin, raisens, honey, maple syrup, fresh fruit, mashed banana, pb, fruit preserves.. if you don't want it to be sweet you could always add any herbs, veggies, or beans.
  • evaeva28
    evaeva28 Posts: 23
    Options
    My new thing now is Eggo's whole wheat waffles (2) with 1 tbsp of peanut butter, and a little syrup on top! It is yummy and as long as you watch the peanut butter and syrup you are good! It sounds weird but is very yummy!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I like to make turkey bacon and put it in a Kangaroo whole wheat pita pocket. I might add scambled egg whites with onions and green peppers, I sometimes add spinach or asparagus. If you're not an egg fan you could use avacado, turkey bacon and a little turkey. Turkey bacon, lettuce or spinach and tomato. I like grilled mushrooms with a melted string cheese, you can even throw in grilled onions. Let your imagination run wild with the pita pockets!
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    I get in the same rut because We have one car and He goes to work so early that I am sitting in the office or walking on the treadmill at 5:30 am four times a week. I would suggest a breakfast roll up (minus the egg) Cook up some ham or turkey sausage, peppers, onions and or add a bit of brown rice to the mix and roll it up in a flat shell or flat bread. Not sure if your worried about carbs or not but it would be different than oatmeal.
  • Bratkins
    Bratkins Posts: 47
    Options
    I like breakfast rice. I am not vegan, but I did a cleansing vegan diet for a few months and I loved this for breakfast. I used to put cranberries instead of raisins but you can put any fruit or nuts in that you like. I used to make it in my crock pot.

Vegan Breakfast Rice

Ingredients
    1 cup long grain brown rice
    1 cup apple juice
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    honey (optional) or maple syrup (optional)

Directions
    1 Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan.
    2 Bring to a boil and then cover.
    3 Reduce the heat, and cook for 40 minutes.
    4 Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
    5 Serve with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup if you like.
    6 (This may also be made in a slow cooker overnight. Combine all of the. ingredients and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours).
  • sabeen05
    sabeen05 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to have a breakfast sandwich I make on my own:
    I toast multigrain deli thins (100 cals) and boil two eggs and after taking yolk put it in my sandwich. I salt and pepper to taste the egg whites. It is good source of protein and healthy carbs. total calories comes to like 132 calories if you are looking for small number of cals.
  • mitze90
    mitze90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My normal breakfast at the moment is Alpen Meusli with protien shake instead of milk and sometimes some random fruit on top. For a change I have a 300g tub of low fat cottage cheese with pineapple and add some extra fruit to it.