In a diet, is there any place for Beer?

Options
This is my 3rd go-round the old diet wheel. This time my food has been totally different. I'm not relying on packaged or "diet" foods, this time I am cooking meals. I am not only trying to watch calories, but trying to eat foods that are really good for me. So far, so great! The food has been satisfying and kept my interest.

So, if I am full.... and I have a good heaping amount of calories left in a day.... is it all that bad to fit in a good 12oz craft brew? I don't mean everyday, say maybe 3 or 4 times a month. I am not a heavy drinker, but I like full beers. I've got some Fat Heads Oompa Loompa stout and am really eager to give it a try.

Have a look at my food diary if you like, it's public.

Replies

• donahm01
    donahm01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey I like a brew myself. Keep it within your calorie count and you should be fine. No Guilt you still have enjoy life ya know. Workout an extra hour or so that week you do have a beer.
  • ellewiz71
    ellewiz71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Had one last night myself! If you have room for it, why not.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to give up beer for the rest of your life? If not, find a way to fit it into your day occasionally.

My philosophy: to eat now the way I intend to continue once I hit my goal weight--only a little less. Makes it a heck of a lot easier to stick with now and to maintain later.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    No, I never plan on giving up beer! I realize I can fit it into life, but I wasn't sure how or when. I think I am trying to approach this the same way as you, but I am still trying to learn how.

This is only my 2nd week into my new eating habits. I want to make sure I don't sabotage myself.
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it is wine, with an occasional beer. But, as other posters have already said, you gotta make room for the things you love. If you stop eating/drinking everything you love, when you hit your goal weight, or have a bad day, you are gonna eat/drink those things you have given up!

I believe in the "work it off" creedo. If I want a glass of wine with dinner, that means I need to have 150-200 calories available. For me, that means an extra mile on my walk, or a bit more effort to get more steps in.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    no
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Heck yes.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    no

Wow, very insightful. Care to expand on that?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy beer and you are able to maintain an otherwise healthy diet with the appropriate calories and macro/micros, then yes you can make a place for it in your diet.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well of course! Fit it in your day and you've already said it will be an occassional thing so go for it. Life without a little alcohol would suck.
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Beer, fit into your calorie plan, isn't a bad thing.

The stouts can be lower in cals than other beers (a bottle of Guinness is only 126), so check the counts based on the brewery you're sampling.

I drink the ultra lights (55-60 cals) when in a social situation that would make it less collegial to order a club soda but, as a flavorful brew, they don't cut it. I've noticed that stouts in some of the brewpubs I've been to are served in 8oz. measures. Nothing wrong with stretching that pint over a few days.

Count the calories and pay them forward -- you'll never workout after having a good beer, so workout first. Cheers!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you allow for it in your macro's...drink it! What's the point of learning nutrition and fitness, if we can't enjoy it? I mean, I want to be as ripped, no, **** that, more ripped than the next guy. But if it comes at the sacrifice of having no fun-in-fluid-form, then what have I gained? I'm not in it to win any contests.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yes. There has to be. LOL.

It wouldnt be a lifestyle change for me if I couldnt drink beer (or otherwise).
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Hit your macros, and use any calories leftover for beer. Use all calories leftover for beer! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Always.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I definitely go over my weekend calories with alcohol, but i'm a college student and not really "overweight", so I guess it's fine. If I were seriously trying to lose more than 5 lbs, I'd be more careful about counting the beer cals.
  • scappetta
    Options
    If you like IPA's, want the taste, but not the high calories, try Founders All Day, 144 calories a 12 oz. bottle; or Lagunitas Day Time IPA. Both are lower in alcohol percent; around 4.5, I think, but the taste is still amazing!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Do you want your diet to be sustainable over the long term? If yes, then, definitely fit the beer in there. Just make sure that you are otherwise getting sufficient micronutrients, protein and good fats.
  • tammypallett3
    Options
    hahaha tooo funny..I hope someone tells you that you can..because then I will do the same with all my left over calories:)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There is in mine! :drinker: I still have beer, wine, ice cream, pizza, burgers - like the others have said - do what you can do for life, not a temporary thing.