Acne or Cystic Acne?

Options
I was curious to know if anyone out there has cystic acne or bad acne, and what they use to cure it.

I have heard that your diet and hormones is directly related to it. Curious to know what people do or dont eat to help maintain good skin.

Input would be great!

Replies

• pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had pretty severe cystic acne in my early 20's. For me it seemed to be caused by a hormonal disturbance caused by an extremely stressful (understatement...actually terrorizing) situation I was put in that lasted for months.

I started developing really oily skin and my hair started falling out. I also lost 25lbs in three months because I couldn't keep food down and if I managed to I would be in another type of gastrointestinal distress, so I'm guessing I was malnourished. My mild acne started worsening and I started getting cysts.

After the scary situation was over my hair stopped falling out, and my digestive system started behaving again, so I was able to eat. I gained the weight back, but the acne only continued to worsen.

I tried various OTC products, went to a derm and tried retinoids, topical antibiotics, and oral antibiotics (only very briefly). I also tried cutting out dairy and gluten and really cleaning up my diet. Nothing worked.

I ended up on Accutane....guess I took the easy way out, but 7 years later my skin is still clear.

But I'm pretty sure whatever caused the acne was directly related to what was going on with my hormones (and not just estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, but other ones like cortisol and adrenaline too). I'm pretty sure my hair shedding and my sudden bout of (self diagnosed) IBS that cause me to suddenly lose weight was also related....and all of those things were caused by stress...
  • MelOdira747
    Options
    BUMP!

Thanks for your comment. I have tried EVERYTHING, and am now trying Zinc. Ugh. I hate it!
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had pretty severe cystic acne in my early 20's. For me it seemed to be caused by a hormonal disturbance caused by an extremely stressful (understatement...actually terrorizing) situation I was put in that lasted for months.

I started developing really oily skin and my hair started falling out. I also lost 25lbs in three months because I couldn't keep food down and if I managed to I would be in another type of gastrointestinal distress, so I'm guessing I was malnourished. My mild acne started worsening and I started getting cysts.

After the scary situation was over my hair stopped falling out, and my digestive system started behaving again, so I was able to eat. I gained the weight back, but the acne only continued to worsen.

I tried various OTC products, went to a derm and tried retinoids, topical antibiotics, and oral antibiotics (only very briefly). I also tried cutting out dairy and gluten and really cleaning up my diet. Nothing worked.

I ended up on Accutane....guess I took the easy way out, but 7 years later my skin is still clear.

But I'm pretty sure whatever caused the acne was directly related to what was going on with my hormones (and not just estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, but other ones like cortisol and adrenaline too). I'm pretty sure my hair shedding and my sudden bout of (self diagnosed) IBS that cause me to suddenly lose weight was also related....and all of those things were caused by stress...

Same here, had cystic acne all my teens and half of my twenties. Went to the Dr, he prescribed me Accutane. It SUCKED at first, but I wouldnt change it for the world. Been acne free for five years.
  • TakeTimeToCare19
    Options
    I am 35 and still have cystic acne. It's along my jaw line and the doc says that area is usually hormonal. When I eat clean and workout it gets better. Then minute I eat junk and don't workout as much the acne flares up. Yet another reason to eat well and move my *kitten*. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I had bad acne and no dietary changes or OTC remedies worked. It is all cleared up after BC and clindamycin gel. I'm now off BC, have switched to Dr. Schulze's Female balance drops, and still use the gel once a day (very sparingly). My skin is soooo much better!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I had pretty bad adult acne in my early 20s, too. Some of it was cystic, as well.

I started using Mary Kay for oily skin and it has cleared up soooo much. I still get the occasional blemish or cyst, but not nearly so bad. Probably any really good skin care regiment will help (but that's probably not what you get at the supermarket!). It seemed, and still seems, to be somewhat tied to hormone cycles (i had great skin when I was pregnant, lol), but I think that taking care of my skin properly was the best way to treat it. Drinking sufficient water and proper nutrition aren't bad ideas, either, though.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Here. http://www.acne.org/

I was a member for years there and a mod on the forums. (Click under "Community" to find the forums.) Dan has dedicated the majority of his forum sites to treatments other than his own products. All kinds of approaches from diet/holistic to hormonal and pills to topicals and on. Tons of info and tons of knowledgeable people. And lots of support - all of us are or were there because we had acne, too.

I trust Dan with my life. He's created an amazing place for people to come together and talk about treatments.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    MSM can be helpful for acne since it's good for the skin--BUT--there is an initial detox period with MSM during which the acne might get worse before it gets better. Also, some people find that even after months of use (presumably past the detox stage) their acne continues to be worse and gets better when MSM is discontinued.

I'm a big fan of MSM but if I were in that second category I'd probably stop taking it. However, I'd also try to stick it out through detox. If you decide to try it, look around on skin forums to find out more on effective doses for cystic acne, and work your way up to the target dose over a few weeks to keep detox effects manageable. Get a well-known brand name, preferably one that contains Opti-MSM. I take capsules but some people get powder and mix it with water or juice. The flavor is bitter but some people don't like taking pills.

Olive leaf extract in capsules is also something that might help. It's an herbal antibiotic/antiviral/antifungal, and I've seen it mentioned in reference to acne. Although my stomach is sensitive, I have no problems with it. I alternate it (10 days on, 10 days off) in winter to keep immunities up and more intensively when I'm fighting something off. Look for a standardized product.

Neither MSM nor olive leaf extract are costly.

Good luck!
  • LAD1981
    LAD1981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dairy! Couldnt believe it after 20 years, that and I stopped smoking but definitely dairy, cut out and my skins improved so much.
    I've tried everything or so I thought. Best of luck, and I feel your pain
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have had cystic acne for a few years now....I have tried everything under the sun to clear it up. My derm suggested trying to omit gluten from my diet. I have been for the most part gluten free for about a month (I do have slip ups) and they have been under control with that.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was Accutane. I suggest booking in to see a dermatologist, you won't regret it.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Same here, had cystic acne all my teens and half of my twenties. Went to the Dr, he prescribed me Accutane. It SUCKED at first, but I wouldnt change it for the world. Been acne free for five years.

Same here.
    Accutane was the ONLY thing that worked for me. I tried all the topical crap, birth control, you name it. Accutane was my lifesaver.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I went to the derm and she gave me some pills to take..but the side effects weren't worth it. I started following a wheat-free diet (paleo..drastic) and it worked fantastically! My skin is so much better from (I assume) eliminating wheat and most grains.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I sympathize. I've tried everything, birth control, topicals, antibiotics, proactiv, murad, oil cleansing, dairy free and gluten free diets, zinc supplements and accutane (twice!) Nothing will make my face better.

I still have terrible skin. It is so oily I can't control it. Even 45 minutes after washing my face, it's greasy. If you find a miracle cure, hook a girl up!
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started breaking out my senior year in high school, and after two yeas of constantly having big, sore bumps around my mouth (where I typically broke out), I tried AcneFree Advanced. They sell it in walmart and many drug stores for around $30 and it completely cleared my face. i ended up going to the regular strength acne free a couple months ago after I was out of the Advanced type and my face is still clear. I tried every other product out there and this is the only thing that actually worked for me. Definitely recommend it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    "the regimen" from acne.org. I tried everything short of Accutane.

Zinc works well in conjunction with it.
  • Newtyshoes
    Options
    I've had acne almost my whole life. It was really bad when I was a kid but slowly got a little better the older I got. I would still break out it my 40's - I'm 48 now. I tried all kinds of things bot nothing really worked very well.

About 5 years ago I decided to give ProActive a try. Wow! In about 2 weeks I noticed a difference. I wish I would have had it years ago. It is a life saver for me. Some reviews said it didn't work for some people, but it worked for most.

I have really oily skin - especially in summer. I'd wash my face, and in about 3 hours or so it was back to being oily. I'd wipe my fingers over my face and my fingers would be coated in oil. ProActive has a couple other products that seem to work pretty good for this.

If you haven't tried ProActive already, I would definitely give it a try.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had acne vulgaris for decades. I think it had a hormonal basis in my case because as I got older it eventually subsided. Shellfish and foods high in iodine also triggered it. I developed the sensitivity in my 20s. I can now eat lobster again without fear. I tried every topical medication under the sun. The only thing that worked was Accutane.

It's said that certain individuals react to certain foods. The old blanket prohibition of chocolate, cola, and greasy food is over.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've had acne almost my whole life. It was really bad when I was a kid but slowly got a little better the older I got. I would still break out it my 40's - I'm 48 now. I tried all kinds of things bot nothing really worked very well.

About 5 years ago I decided to give ProActive a try. Wow! In about 2 weeks I noticed a difference. I wish I would have had it years ago. It is a life saver for me. Some reviews said it didn't work for some people, but it worked for most.

I have really oily skin - especially in summer. I'd wash my face, and in about 3 hours or so it was back to being oily. I'd wipe my fingers over my face and my fingers would be coated in oil. ProActive has a couple other products that seem to work pretty good for this.

If you haven't tried ProActive already, I would definitely give it a try.

I tried Proactiv on two separate occasions because it worked for a friend. It did nothing for me.
  • MelOdira747
    Options
    Im trying Zinc for Acne and I already see a difference in just a week. I cant wait till I see it in a MONTH! I recommend you guys try it, its only 4 bucks on amazon!

im also trying a veggie and fruit diet to see if that helps!