Resistance bands?

Options
I apologize if this has been posted before! I plan on starting a strength training regimen in the future, but am not ready to do so right now. I do, however, have some resistance bands. For someone starting out, are they a good tool to use? Thanks in advance for any insight and advice!

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recommend them. I bought two Gold's Gym short ones and one long one. I wouldn't be where I am without them. I could barely stretch them when I first started. I followed the instructions that came with them, and I was so weak that I could barely muster five of each. I worked them every day, gradually increasing the number of repitions. After a few months, I was doing so many repitions (35+) that I was running out of time available and had to move to something more strenuous. They are a great starting tool that doesn't put stress on joints. Plus, they are inexpensive and easy to store.
  • kensgirl2
    kensgirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's so good to hear!!! Thanks!!! And great job!!! :tongue:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use tubes, but the principles are the same. There are quite a few videos available online for workout suggestions.
  • one15ts
    one15ts Posts: 91
    Options
    i guess it depends on the brand? i bought the black mountain ones from amazon, and i just felt more pressure on my shoulders/neck. ended up returning them. maybe they were too short? but i'm 5'3". free weights work better for me.

if you want to try them, purchase from a local retailer or online retailer with free return shipping.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    yep they are good to start with...resistance is resistance. Sometimes bands are better for some exercises while free weights are better for others. I have the bodylastics bands and they work well for me especially when pressed for time.
  • kensgirl2
    kensgirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cool beans!!! I was hoping they would still be effective even though they aren't weights. Thanks everyone!!! I have a set from Michael Thurmond so they should be decent ones. It came with a whole bunch of exercises to do, too. :happy: