Bicycles

Options
Hello All!
I'm thinking about riding a bike to work starting this spring when all the snow and ice is gone. It's around 8 miles round trip. The problem is, I don't have a bike. I'm looking for suggestions on what would be a good one or brands to look for. I don't want to get a bike and only have it for a short amount of time. I would rather get a good one and make it last. I'm loving the thought of exercising 40 miles a week and saving money in gas on top of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Good mid-range bikes include Trek, Giant, and Specialized.

Have you given any thought to whether you want a road bike or a hybrid? I suggest a hybrid for commuting, unless you have ridden road bikes before.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good mid-range bikes include Trek, Giant, and Specialized.

Have you given any thought to whether you want a road bike or a hybrid? I suggest a hybrid for commuting, unless you have ridden road bikes before.

Honestly, I have no idea. I haven't been on a bike since I was 10 years old. My route is completely road. But I don't know the difference between a hybrid and a road bike. Ultimately I would love a bike that I just get on a go. I don't do well with all the switching gears crap. Haha
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Go to a good, reputable bicycle shop and talk to the people there. Tell them what you're going to use it for etc. and they can guide you in the right direction to make sure 1) it's the bike for your needs and 2) it fits you properly.
  • lcedmond
    lcedmond Posts: 15
    Options
    Ditto