Is it me or do gyms play music that NO ONE likes?

Options
suv_hater
suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
It seems like they try to cater to everyone or at least the younger crowd but 1/3 of the people have earbuds on (or Dre Beats wth?) and the rest look like they're tuning the music out. Then there's the poor older folks who have to endure a techno mashup of Rihanna (some kinda golden years, eh sir?)

I don't know if this is a brilliant idea or not but why doesn't a gym take requests and then loop one big playlist of songs as requested by its paying members?! At least then SOMEONE SOMEWHERE in the gym might hear a song they actually like. If I owned a gym I would implement this without a second thought. You would hear Slayer followed by C+C Music Factory and it would be a cool scene. As it is now, I hear random 2000's dance pop tunes that were six feet deep in the grave and I look around the gym like, "WTH no one here is even into this". I usually wear earbuds but only for cardio. I don't wear them using machines because sometimes a cute girl is lurking about and you never know.

Replies

• hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    reason number 478 why i love my gym...NO MUSIC.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It seems like they try to cater to everyone or at least the younger crowd but 1/3 of the people have earbuds on (or Dre Beats wth?) and the rest look like they're tuning the music out. Then there's the poor older folks who have to endure a techno mashup of Rihanna (some kinda golden years, eh sir?)

I don't know if this is a brilliant idea or not but why doesn't a gym take requests and then loop one big playlist of songs as requested by its paying members?! At least then SOMEONE SOMEWHERE in the gym might hear a song they actually like. If I owned a gym I would implement this without a second thought. You would hear Slayer followed by C+C Music Factory and it would be a cool scene. As it is now, I hear random 2000's dance pop tunes that were six feet deep in the grave and I look around the gym like, "WTH no one here is even into this". I usually wear earbuds but only for cardio. I don't wear them using machines because sometimes a cute girl is lurking about and you never know.

I'd end up raging because someone would eventually put on country. And that would kill my workout right then and there.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    my gym has a d.j. and we can request songs while we're working out.
  • devastation77
    Options
    Our new gym is gonna have a wireless cloud you can hook into for tunes on your phone.
  • Jenrosa28
    Jenrosa28 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    i usually don't pay attention to the music at my gym cuz i listen to my own music!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thank bob for ipods
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My gym plays decent music, but I don't listen to it. I like my audiobooks while I'm peddling away on the bike.
  • Elby0030
    Elby0030 Posts: 32
    Options
    yeah its TERRIBLE at my gym
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options
    I listen to my own music most of the time. The YMCA I go to has 5 mounted TVs and 2 of them are tuned to food programs (Travel and the Food Channel). Real inspiration!!!
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think it is so you don't just sit around. I get aggravated when they put hip hop, rap, or heavy metal on. I usually take the rage out on the poor weights and start pushing some heavy ones as fast as I can without throwing them at the speakers LOL.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I had complained @ a Gold's waaay back. That's what he said, "Can't please everyone."

I love our home gym. I can blast any music I want. It's like a gangsta party up in here.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I hear quite a variety when I'm at the gym. Often times it is poppy in nature but every now and again I'll hear a tune that I actually like. The sounds of everyone working out, however, are so present in that atmosphere that you really have to try to pick out the music.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My gym is always tuned into the local radio station, and I actually really like 95% of the music they play. It's all top 40 sort of stuff, but that's often what I like to listen to when I'm working out. I never listen to my ipod because I don't have one of those arm band things, plus I'm clumsy and I worry about getting the earbuds tangled with the barbell while I'm squatting or something.

The radio station they play at my gym doesn't seem to have the greatest selection of music though, or there are just a few songs that they play repeatedly, so it always turns out that "Try" by Pink comes on right near the end of my workout, when I'm thinking about skipping my last set of burpees. Then I'm all like "Damnit, Pink! Fine! I'll get up and try."
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think it's just you. Saying its music NO ONE likes sounds like you're biased because YOU don't like the music.

you really CANT please everyone. If they took requests, there would be someone in there that wouldnt like your request. This is why wearing headphones is a much better option for everyone, they have complete control over what they want to hear. I don't see that as a problem. I don't particularly mind the music at my gym (its upbeat, which is good for getting me moving faster) but of course there will be songs that I don't like too. When it comes down to it, wouldn't you want to listen to your own playlist so you can skip to songs you WANT to hear?