Cheat day?

Options
So I've been browsing some of the topics and one of the things I see pop up a lot is the cheat day idea so that you aren't constantly depriving yourself of some foods.

I think I understand the concept of a "cheat" day, but not fully.

How much cheating do you feel is too much?
And do you feel that it would be completely unproductive to have a possible 2nd cheat day? More like a cheat weekend?
Do you still do your exercise routine on cheat days? And do you still you MFP to log your calories?

Replies

• PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with cheat days. I think that if I gave myself one day of eating what I want, I would continue for a few days until I gain all of the weight back and feel disgusted. I am completely against the idea.
    I think that you during this time should not deprive yourself of any food but, instead learn portion control which means that you would not need to give anything up or give yourself a day to eat whatever you want.
    I have my own opinions and I don't want to push my thoughts on other's but, I hope that everything works out for you!
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of a cheat day. I think it encourages binging. If I want something I have it and log it, understanding that it could/will affect my outcome. You can always "earn" extra calories with a little exercise.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I never have an entire cheat day cause that can get really out of hand really quickly & lead to binging. I do however, enjoy a cheat "meal" every now and than. It's not for everyone, cause some people can stay on track 100% of the time, but it works for me & keeps me from feeling like I'm missing out on something :wink:

Edited to add: I do log my cheat meal
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    What are you "cheating" on? This is NOT a diet, and should not be thought of as such!
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a cheat day...Body for Life program has a cheat day once a week. There are thousands who have been successful implementing that lifestyle...I did that program about 10+ years ago for two months..It works and one day a week I ate anything I wanted..I took full advantage of it also.
  • kimastbury
    kimastbury Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I never have an entire cheat day cause that can get really out of hand really quickly & lead to binging. I do however, enjoy a cheat "meal" every now and than. It's not for everyone, cause some people can stay on track 100% of the time, but it works for me & keeps me from feeling like I'm missing out on something :wink:

Edited to add: I do log my cheat meal

Yup
  • Jenniferlynn54
    Jenniferlynn54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one "cheat day" a week, and it's more so I don't feel guilty, and so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of my favorite foods. I usually log my cheat days, unless I just don't feel like it, lol. Sometimes I exercise on those days, sometimes I don't....but again, I feel less guilty if a get in a quick workout. I wouldn't recommend a "cheat weekend", just because that could get dangerous. =)
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do not have a cheat day. I do however use my Friday night dinner as my eating out meal. I still try to order somewhat healthy and be aware of what I am eating but I try not to let myself feel bad for eating something I normally wouldn't eat during the week. All other meals of the week are more planned out and healthy. Now, if we go to a birthday party (I have small children) I plan around that birthday food. I either avoid the cake and pizza all together or I eat it in moderation and really watch what I eat the rest of the day. I don't like the idea of having a binge day or a day where you just eat everything you want. I think moderation with EVERYTHING is key.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have always done a 'cheat meal' That way if there was something I wanted throughout the week come saturday night I could have it. It helped me to stay the course through the week if I knew that I was allowed to have what I wanted I just had to wait. it also seemed to help me with cravings because the second I said I couldn't have it I wanted it even more.
  • angels_09
    Options
    I dont agree with a cheat day either. People shouldnt "diet". They should eat healthy and it would just trigger food cravings and a road of poor eating choices. I do say on your birthday and a handful of special days its okay to totally let go but only knowing you will have to add more exercise and get back on track before it adds up and you end up depressed and back where you started. That being said if it helps someone and works for them then that is awesome. Im just speaking for myself!
  • gescobedo81
    gescobedo81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't see nothing wrong with ONE cheat meal (not cheat day) a week, its good for you mentally... here's an article about it from the ripped dude.. Hope that helps

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cheat-meals.html
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    For me, a cheat day is when I decide I just HAVE TO HAVE that Snickers egg. So I plan my meals for the day to include the Snickers egg as a snack. It means exercising a little more or eating a little less at other meals, and probably not getting my macros perfectly balanced, but allowing myself to have something otherwise considered "forbidden."
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    for me, i cant do a cheat day, since im a recovering social/stress binge eater. i have that all or nothing attitude- so if i allow myself to "cheat"- i end up in a free for all binge.

im working on allowing a splurge in reason- and somewhat planned. like if i know its a special occasion, i should allow myself to once in a while have an extra 500 or so cals on something worth it. i should be able to splurge in moderation 1x every week or every other week without acting like its the last time ill ever see food again.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    To cheat is to imply that you're doing something wrong. Eating food is not wrong. Include whatever you want into your daily macros. That being said, if you tend to over eat on certain foods, I would stay away.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Have a read of these two articles if you are serious about nutrition and want to know about incorporating a cheat day:

http://www.nickmitchellblog.com/cheating-refeeds-fat-loss/

http://www.phillearney.com/nutrition/cheat-meals-part-i/
    http://www.phillearney.com/nutrition/cheat-meals-part-ii/
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't like cheat days either. I'll treat myself when I want! But if I do insist on 'cheating', it'll be in the form of some kind of unhealthy meal and I will work my day around it. I've been doing this 6 months and I definitely don't feel deprived of anything.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    i eat healthy all week and cook every meal myself and then on friday or saturday night i go out an have a couple of drinks an eat whatever i want and dont log it. it doesnt make that much of a difference really, i gain maybe a half of a pound thats gone by the next day. i have to have a night where i go out an have fun and dont count calories or cook or else things get too boring : )
  • Steph_B_
    Steph_B_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a meal off every once in a while. I get times when I am just craving anything and everything. It usually happens about every 2 weeks or so. I don't take the whole day off though. I eat normally and workout normally but then have dinner around 4 or 5pm. One of my favorite foods is Pizza. So I will have 2 slices of Cheese pizza and 2 breadsticks from Pizza Hut. I still don't have pop or candy or popcorn or anything though. And sometimes I will go out on a walk after I am done and it has settled. The next day my weight usually stays the same as it was the day of.

36134331.png
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My trainer and friend does a cheat day. She suggests "refueling" pick one day and eat what you want within the 1st 6 hours you wake up! Within reason of course, don't stop at every fast food chain on your way for ice cream haaha! Just pick something you really want and have it :) It works really well! kinda "spikes" your body a bit :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. I just do what I always do and relax when I go out to dinner. But I still log it! My husband and I don't go out to dinner very often, so I while I still try to stay healthy, I just get whatever I want usually. I rarely eat it all anyway.