MFP Total Calorie Intake Reading

Options
Hey I just read something in the "forum". It said that you shouldnt count the calories that are added back to your calorie intake from when you exercise. Is this true? If that's the case, no wonder I'm only losing a couple lbs a week!!!

Replies

• ARJacobson
    ARJacobson Posts: 11
    Options
    I was wondering the same things because, for example, yesterday I had about 500 calories added to my daily calories because of exercise but could not consume that many more calories yesterday. I am also worried about being under the calories.
  • Laika3
    Laika3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Yes you should eat your exercise calories. MPF already works out a deficit for you to lose, if you don't eat back your exercise calories then your deficit is too high and you will not lose weight in the long term.

See here for more reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

There's also lots of stickies and the top of this "General Diet and Weight Loss" section beside forum rules if you want to understand this better.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Remember...you body requires fuel to operate (your organs, brain, etc.) If you eat 1200 calories and burn off 600 doing exercise, you are only leaving your body with 600 calories to fuel it's functions. That is not nearly enough unless you are extremely obese AND under a physician's care/advice regarding your weight loss. Many experts suggest not going below 1200 NET, if you are a woman.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a good idea to EAT them. Eating calories burned through exercise fuels your body and helps maintain your lean muscle.
    A "couple pounds a week" is a really good rate of loss.

I wish I had eaten my exercise calories from the start but I was stupid and ignorant and very obese so I thought I could get away with it so I didn't eat them for the first 4.5 months (Today is my 9 monthiversary). I'm pretty sure I've lost a lot of muscle in addition to slowing down my metabolism. It took me nearly 4 months to get my metabolism back on track. Now I eat 90-100% of my exercise calories and have been steadily losing an average of 1.5 pounds a week for the last 6 weeks (which is exactly what I'm trying to lose). My body freaks out about large calorie deficits. Not everyone's does, apparently, so my word of caution may not apply to each reader individually. :smile:
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be eating your exercise calories. You already have a deficeit built into your goal plan. The exercise calories should be eaten (at least most of them), because your body requires more fuel (calories) when you work out. I am losing weight more rapidly than I wanted, and can attest to this theory. Good luck!
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Thanks for posting this VERY INTERESTING QUESTION AND INFO.!:huh:

:embarassed: I had no clue... Some changes need to be made on my part for sure.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Your responses were very helpful!! THANK YOU ALL! good to know i'm on the right path. Be on the lookout for my next question/topic. Called : Liquor: to drink or not to drink.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    Yeah, it's a good idea to EAT them. Eating calories burned through exercise fuels your body and helps maintain your lean muscle.
    A "couple pounds a week" is a really good rate of loss.

I wish I had eaten my exercise calories from the start but I was stupid and ignorant and very obese so I thought I could get away with it so I didn't eat them for the first 4.5 months (Today is my 9 monthiversary). I'm pretty sure I've lost a lot of muscle in addition to slowing down my metabolism. It took me nearly 4 months to get my metabolism back on track. Now I eat 90-100% of my exercise calories and have been steadily losing an average of 1.5 pounds a week for the last 6 weeks (which is exactly what I'm trying to lose). My body freaks out about large calorie deficits. Not everyone's does, apparently, so my word of caution may not apply to each reader individually. :smile:

70 some pounds lost...I'll take your advice!!!!