Runners, how long did it take to get to 5k?

Options
Hi there, last month I started running 3 days a week at 6 am, since I've started I've added 500m to my run to get up to 2.3km in around 14 minutes. I'm enjoying running a lot, and find it's helping to tone my lower body and peel some of the fat off the upper side as well.

My question is, how long did it take you to get up to the 5k mark? I'm thinking that I'd like to run a couple of 5k marathons for charity in the fall, do you think doubling my distance in the next 2 months is feasible?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Myself, I started from 0 to 5k doing Couch to 5k so it was 8 or 9 weeks.....so your timeframe will give you PLENTY of time.

a guideline-increase your distance by 10% a week.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can certainly do it!!! I started out not being able to run more than a few feet at a time :) I just started slowly building my endurance and pushing myself...everyday. Each day I felt stronger and stronger. Took a couple of months and now I run 4-5 miles every day to every other day and run 5K's all the time. Of course, everyone is different and it depends on how hard you push yourself... I guess there are running/training programs out there and I keep seeing this "Couch to 5K" program that is powered through active.com, which is where I register for all of my races through... good luck!!!!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    It really doesn't take much time as long as you keep pushing yourself. The 10% extra a week is spot on in my opinion!
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I increase my distance while running I increase as much as half a mile to a mile but simultaneously decrease the speed. So if I normally run three miles at a pace of ten minutes per mile and increase my distance to three and a half miles I also decrease my speed to the pace of eleven or twelve minutes per mile. After I've ran this distance at that pace a couple times I increase my speed again. I also find that when I'm comfortable with my distance and pace it's helpful to do speed intervals before increasing my distance. I think you should be able to reach your goal but the most important thing is to balance pushing your cardio with listening to your body. You don't want your heart rate to get too high or to stress your muscles too much because you can injure yourself and end up being set back. Good luck and have fun!
  • geoffsroote
    geoffsroote Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all the info everyone, I'll do my best to get there and beyond by the first 5k!
  • 5kqueen
    5kqueen Posts: 6
    Options
    I walk 5k's and half marathons. i just keep adding a little distance each week. So right now I have a half marathon in 2 weeks, so I added a mile to my walks each week. I just did a half marathon in May and that helped so much to add miles gradually.

You can do it, I have done so many of them. you do one and you will be hooked.

Janice
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it's definately feasible! :happy:

I signed up for a 10 K two months ago and at that time I could only run 3-4 K comfortably. My goal was to add about 1 K each week, until my 10 K race (which is coming up this Sunday!) I WAS NOT a runner, or even athletic, for a day in my life but it had been a while since I challenged myself so I thought I would give it a shot.

I usually run twice a week, and increase my distance by about .5 K per run. Originally I wanted to go 3 times a week but my knees said NO and I listened. (Sometimes I will bike, golf, walk etc. in between)

This past Saturday I was able to run 9.54 K, and I probably could have gone further, but I sort of want to save the big TEN until Sunday (probably sounds silly but I want it to be a big moment).

I have been living with rheumatoid arthritis since I was 5 years old, and as I said, I have never considered myself athletic. Three years ago I was obese (217 lbs, 5' 4") and could barely run around the block. Now I'm 160 and ready for a 10K. So if I can do it, you can do it!

Good Luck!!! :smile:
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just tried adding time every day, which also made me run farther. Even if it was only 1 minute. But I was amazed at how some days I could add 5 minutes, no problem. I tried to never go backward. So, if I ran 19 minutes one day, I had to go at least 20 the next. Seriously, in two weeks, I had added 20 minutes or more.
    I run very slowly. So, a 5K for me is going to be at least 40 minutes. That's why I shoot for time. But I'm not running competitively. This is my first 5K and I'm only hoping to run the whole thing, I don't care how long it takes me.
  • dtraylor
    dtraylor Posts: 32
    Options
    Reduce your speed, increase your time running. You can even increase your training time by walking a mile after your run, and then run some more. :o) The first time I ran 10 miles without stoping was after training on my bike for long rides. I just took some water and slowed way down, and just did it. Got blisters, lol. Turned out all the training I was doing on my bicycle translated to better endurance for running. So if you have one, ride a bike too. It helps if you run a path away from where you are parked and have to run back rather than running laps. Laps make it too easy to stop. Run two miles away, and you have to get back somehow, lol, might as well jog back.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I'm sure you will get to your goal in no time. Although...on the big race day...don't do what I did and not get enought sleep or water. I got the worlds biggest side cramp. Normaly I can run a 5k easly...but I ended up walking a mile out of the 3.
    Water is the key...LOL!