Any Cancer Survivors Here?

Options
I am approaching being 4 years free of breast cancer (this summer)!!!
We survivors are supposed to be exercising daily!
I don't like to exercise. LOL.

I joined MyFitnessPal, looking for hope, encouragement, accountability .... and I think keeping track of my diet & fitness routine will help me.

I was doing pretty great on Tamoxifen, but when I got blood clots, my doctor switched me to Aromisin.
I gained weight right away, though I am happy to say I am down 4# from my initial weight gain.
But, I'm up 16# from when I was dx with cancer four years ago.
So, I'm not looking to lose weight as much as I am determining to stick with a strength-training routine.
If I can manage to lose some pounds though, I certainly won't complain!!
In fact, I would LOVE to lose some pounds.

A couple of years ago I could barely do 5 minutes on the elliptical,
but I did 20 yesterday!! Woohoo! :-)
My heart rate though, was really high.
So until I see the cardiologist this month, I am told to not work out too strenuously.

I'm headed back to the fitness center late this afternoon.
I will walk for 30 min., do some weight training, and finish off with hopefully 20 min. on the elliptical.
One of my goals is to walk for 30 minutes every day.
My oncologist says that I must, since I am on biophosphonate treatment (to strengthen bones).
I took the zometa infusions for three years, and now am on prolia.
Can you relate to any of this?

I blew my calorie count this afternoon with salami, ham, cheese & crackers for lunch.
That only leaves a couple hundred calories for dinner.
Fortunately we are having grilled eggplant & zucchini with marinara sauce.
NO pasta for me tonight. :(

I'm Jackie from Indiana.
And I am 51 years old.

Replies

• Mshults2009
    Options
    My daughter is 4 year old & she's a cancer survivor, my little hero. She was diagnosed with Wilms tumor stage 1 kidney cancer at the age of 2. She lost her left kidney & went through chemo but is doing good now. I will remember you in prayer. I would like to add you as a friend please? Thanks, Missy Shults
  • mpodoll2016
    Options
    happy to hear your sucsess story! hope you are still doing well. my name is melanie but family and friends call me mel, i am a freshamn in high school. my mom is actually fighting astroglytoma as we speak. its a non-operable/non curable, super rare brain cancer. anywho, im hoping to show my mama this site if she starts feeling better. i think she would really like it. hope you have a wonderful day! you will be in my prayers!! and so will your daughter, (missy s. i read your comment.) stay well!
  • KarinaGeneva
    KarinaGeneva Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie --

Congratulations on your survivorship!

I was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer 3 years ago. It had spread to lymph nodes and my bones. I underwent chemo for almost 2 years. Doctors were amazed at my progress. I seem to be in complete remission. You can tell by the "seem to be" that I'm hesitant and cautious. I stopped chemo a year ago last December. Now I'm taking a once daily dose of anastrozole (Arimidex) and my once long hair is now almost back to shoulder length! Like you, I took Zometa, and then was switched to XGeva (which is another brand of denosumab, like Prolia).

I was always fairly physically active, but I am very overweight. I would like to lose 100 lbs, but I'm not going to focus on that big number. I"m working with a trainer, and we do pretty intense workouts 1-2 times a week -- high intensity weight training. It's fast-paced, so I have quite a cardio workout at the same time. My heart rate is also high, but it has come down a LOT since I returned to regular exercise this past summer. In between training sessions I try to do step aerobics at home, or dance to my Zumba tapes, and do stretching. I work as a lawyer, so I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk.

I recently set 3 goals for myself for March. (1) Track everything I eat on MyFitnessBuddy, (2) drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day, and (3) take at least one 10-minute break each day at work for a brisk walk around my building. I'm new to MyFitnessPal and I love this tool!

One of the things I've found since starting MyFitnessPal, is that if I over-eat on my calorie allotment, I just make sure that I go for a little walk or do some stair-stepping in front of the TV at night. It doesn't take much to be able to "pay for" a small over-indulgence earlier in the day. Also, drinking the water really helps to curb my urge to nibble.

By the way, today happens to be my birthday. Just turned 49.

Let's stay in touch!

-- Karina from Connecticut
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I finished active treatment (chemo and radiation) for Stage 2b breast cancer 2 years ago. I am currently taking Tamoxifen.
    Immediately after active treatment, I lost the 15 pounds I gained in treatment through diet and exercise. Well, that is now back on me.
    I joined Myfitnesspal so I can stop the cycle of gaining and losing ( I am good at both if these). I have been following program pretty well and working out a ton so we will see what happens at tomorrow's weigh in. But if the number is not what I want it to be, I won't sweat it. I plan to follow this for life so no rush to get these 17 pounds off of me

I love the support of my friends here.

Treatment did put me in to chemically induced menopause which presents some challenges; and more GI system doesn't seem to work as efficiently but that is all ok.
    I AM HAPPY TO BE ALIVE!!!!!
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    One year this month ! Stage 3---chemo, rad, and now on Arimidex which is causeing alot of drama BUT I'd rather have that DRAMA than Cancer. I know with my faith in God it won't come back but it's in my mind every day...I just wish I felt more like a women again... LOL I lost my weight before cancer well most of it. During treatments I got down to my ideal weight but have put a few pounds on... Still trying to lose the last 3-5lbs I"M NOT giving up....

Add me is you like....
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a "cancer survivor" myself, my wife died 9 years ago from squamus cell carcinoma, ovarian type (developed from a dermoid tumor). She was 31 years old. I use her memory as a motivation to live life to the fullest, and to do whatever I can to be sure that I have as many days on this rock as I can get. That is the reason I wear a Livestrong bracelet, a reminder to Live Strong because we've seen too 'up front and personal' how short and precious, as well as unfair, life can be.

I am in awe of all of you whom either have already, or are currently fighting this battle. Your strength is inspiring.
  • RochelleAvila
    Options
    Hello All....

I am 41 years old & I am a recent breast cancer survivor myself.. I have been cancer free for a year now.. I was diagnosed with stage 1B breast cancer.. Did chemo & radiation and now trying to get my body back to where it used to be.

I have started the new year off on the right foot and have already lost 13 lbs. I have recently joined the gym & have been going at least 5-6 times a week for an hour at a time.

My oncologist is always on me about losing weight, but it so much harder as you get older & the tamoxifen doesn't help.. Needless to say, I am making myself live a healthy lifestyle regardless. At some point the weight has to come off.

I am also taking part in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk in Boston, Mass this July. I have agreed to raise at least $2300 and will walk 60 miles in 3 days (20 miles per day) to help support the cause.

Looking to make friends & support one another! :)

Rochelle
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Prayers to you All!
    No cancer here, but my sister is a breast cancer survivor and my mom lost her battle on her second go around.

My sister has Really struggled between the drugs, the mental issues, etc. I'm Trying to help her with the exercise battle, but she's just not ready to take it on it. I'm 47, and she was my age when she found it. She's post 5 years now!

Thinking of you all.... I'd love to help if I can if you want any non-cancer friends too. I know your situations are unique for sure.

Nancy
  • csalado
    csalado Posts: 1
    Options
    I had Thyroid cancer and had a complete thyroidectomy and I believe this is why I have so much trouble losing weight and keeping it off. I really hope this site helpe me keep at it and help me reach my goal wieght
  • sansbuda
    sansbuda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - cancer free for 2 1/2 years.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had Hodgkins Lymphoma, diagnosed November 2010 and had chemotherapy and radiation Nov 2010-July 2011.
    I have been cancer free since treatment ended.

Just before I was diagnosed I got down to my lowest weight of 130 lbs. I do not attribute the weight loss to the cancer as it was not dramatic. When I started treatment I stopped weighing myself and stopped watching what I ate- I quickly gained 10 lbs.Let's just say I allowed myself ALOT of treats! With my treatment my nausea was well controlled and I had minimal steroids so my weight was stable.

I started watching what I ate again after treatment and since then I have slowly lost almost 15 lbs! I now jog and do yoga a few times a week. I am healthier now than at any point in my life!
    I have been on two camps for cancer survivors -rock climbing and surfing. This is with Athletes for Cancer, and First Descents, two great organisations.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    oh yeah- my thyroid got nuked during radiation and I now take thryoid hormone medication.
    I have been finding weightloss very easy lately so I think my thyroid is doing well and my metabolism seems to be in a great place.
  • SWOCaptain
    SWOCaptain Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Jackie!

Congratultions for joining the team and working to kick the "Big C's" butt. Having multiple family members and friends with cancer, in remission, etc., I'll tell you to keep the positive outlook, keep up the good work building a healthier lifestyle, and talk daily with the God of your choosing.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.

Mike
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In 2 weeks, I will be a 5 year survivor of Breast cancer. I have a family history of this and had yearly mammos to monitor. Luckily, it was caught early, and since I was post-menopausal, had a slower-growing type than my sis, who was already stage 3 when she had her first mammo @ 40 (she also had negative reaction to Tamoxifen). Like you, I have a hard time exercising, and have yo-yo dieted all my life. I'm doing better since joining MFP, because I'm accountable to post my menu and exercise daily. still having trouble motivating self to exercise, but I know when I need to "buy" a few calories, and make an effort to walk or do stationary bike 3 times a week. Hopefully more soon! Good luck, Jackie and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Jackie -

I was diagnosed last April with CML - Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. I'm one of the lucky ones. I actually don't feel like a cancer patient, but I am. My type is controlled with 1 pill a day - Sprycel and even though I'm just a hair away from remission, I will have to take it for either the rest of my life or until it quits working.

I'm on MFP everyday and have had great success. I also wear a Fitbit to help me realize how much I DON'T do! Feel free to add me as a friend.

I'm Amy. I'll turn 50 next December and I'm from Michigan!