Just got my Polar Ft4...

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
I love it, strap is totally fine, my workout just feels better.

Question when the data says 'in the zone' is that fitness zone or fat burning zone? The FT4 doesn't give you Fat Percentage of Calories does it?

Replies

• snowflake266
    Options
    Hi! I have one,and mine shows the calories I burn.I think when it says in one,its the fat burn zone. Enjoy it,I love mine
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm getting one for my birthday in June. I know people say don't wish your life away, but I honestly can't wait!!!
  • Slim2k
    Slim2k Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the ft4, I have a cheap hrm at the moment and love it, so upgrading to a reputable brand is justified.

Are there any cons to this device, I know it lacks a backlight which some people dont like.

Cheers

Job
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That is your target heart rate zone. That's one reason why you put in your age, height, weight etc Then it gives you your target heart rate. Look on their website for more specifics.
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just got my FT4 not to long ago, and it's taught me alot already about where I'm at now fitnesswise, and should help me see changes as I improve. I thought I'd really hate the chest strap, but, I guess it's not that bad.
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are there any cons to this device, I know it lacks a backlight which some people dont like.

My FT4 has a backlight.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of info on their site. I did adjust my target a little higher than the preset. Bumped it 10 BPM higher. Just for sick of the beeping (which can be turned off). I love mine though and have really noticed a difference and I am losing again after a plateau.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Christmas, and I noticed the calorie burn was very high (higher than gym machines and higher than I 'felt' I was working)
    I think they count the calories you would normally burn anyway?

So e.g. if it normally takes me 80 calories an hour to live, and the HRM says I've burnt 500 in an hour, I've really only burnt 420 extra.

A bit of maths needed!

NB if I'm completely wrong about this, please tell me and I can eat some extra! :P
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the ft4, I have a cheap hrm at the moment and love it, so upgrading to a reputable brand is justified.

Cheers

Job

You can push a button and it lights up the numbers etc for you.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just got one a couple days ago FT4 and I like it alot. To all you wet just the chest strap right??
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the "zones". It's more of a fad thing than based on anything scientific.
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just got one a couple days ago FT4 and I like it alot. To all you wet just the chest strap right??
    The contacts need to make electrical connection with the skin. We skin is more conductive than dry skin. Also, if the back of the strap is moist, it will help keep it from sliding around when you work out. I either use some warm tap water or just plain old spit...gross, I know, but you should be showering after your workout anyway, right?
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    So wet both the chest strap and the connecter piece ? Or just the chest strap?
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just the chest strap; it has two specific bits of fabric on it that you need to wet to conduct the signal.