Does cellulite disappear as you lose weight?

Options
I'm in my 40s and I have a lot of cellulite on my thighs and butt which I'm hoping will decrease (a lot!) when I reach my goal weight of 115 lbs. So tell me, women in your 40s or older, is this a realistic expectation? Thanks!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Sorry but no. I am almost there but I still have plenty of cellulite. No denying that my body looks better and much firmer from the exercise and weightloss but there's still that darn cellulite! Maybe others have better ideas (or luck) than me.
    I'll be curious to know also.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. the appearance of cellulite will diminish as you lose weight, but the cell configuration will usually not not go away. But who cares? As long as you can't see them, they are nothing more than a specific configuration of tissue and fat cells. Remove the excess fat, and those cells no longer show through the skin layers. And no, creams don't remove cellulite either. They also can nourish skin and slightly lessen the appearance. there is no medically known treatment for removal of cellulite at this point in time short of physically removing the cells and breaking down the fibrous tissue. There are lots of claims, but none of them have been proven.
  • CarlaChalk78
    Options
    Sadly the poster above is right :( I have terrible cellulite but I do find that body brushing helps it look a little better lol
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent, yes. Cellulite is fat, and the less fat you have, the less cellulite you have. But if you're prone to its you'll still see the lumps, just smaller.

In my unscientific experience, exercise that makes your cellulite jiggle, like running, is far more effective than others. My theory is that you increase the circulation to the bum and thigh muscles you're using, and I had far fewer bumps when I was overweight and running than I did when I was skinny and didn't exercise. But user experience may vary :laugh:
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've found that the appearance does get better as you lose weight and gain muscle!
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    I've been meaning to make a forum like this for a while. I don't have much cellulite but some noticeable bits on the back/top of my legs.. Does rubbing moisturizer in a circular motion, does it decrease a little? :smile:
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    hi im 39, ive lost the weight i changed my diet eat fresh vegies salad, nothing much processed, keep my water up and work out 6 days a week. running or jm work outs and mines gone :) so yes if you put in the work itll go. Goodluck :)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40's and have the nasty cellulite in my thighs. And butt... It has gotten better with weight training and decreased body fat. I want it all gone so will keep trying!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've seen posts from some of the women lifters that have said theirs was gone after a year or so of lifting heavy. It's worth a try. If nothing else, you'll eventually end up with a nice body.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and the cellulite has pretty much disappeared, so there is definately hope!! Keep at it and you'll be pleased with the results.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Praying that my cellulite goes away, my butt resembles the pitted moon and my legs are....bleh.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had terrible cellulite in my butt and thighs, and I started doing minimal weight training (I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred twice, and ripped in 30 once) and it pretty much disappeared. I had a small amount of weight to lose too, I'm not sure if that matters.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights has helped mine.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Technically, cellulite isn't just fat. It is the configuration of connective tissue that causes the fat to form pockets in the subcutaneous layer. As we age, the skin becomes looser and the connective tissue/fat becomes more noticeable.

Losing weight will make it less visible, but not go away. Strength training will make it far less visible, but it probably won'd go away completely. It all depends on your personal genetic makeup.

The only way to reduce the appearance is to decrease body fat percent. And the quickest way to do that is to strength train.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Technically once you get cellulite you will always have it unless you get lipo. The cells will probably shrink up with a good diet and exercise, but will not go away. But if they aren't noticeable anymore after diet and exercise, I am ok with that.
  • MichelleF115
    MichelleF115 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I guess it varies with the individual, and getting rid of as much fat will help, as will weight-training. I'll let you know my own results when I get to goal. :smile:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I've seen posts from some of the women lifters that have said theirs was gone after a year or so of lifting heavy. It's worth a try. If nothing else, you'll eventually end up with a nice body.

It is not gone, but i will tell you lifting heavy (for me) has made a marked difference.

I started this at 40, and yes squats and the other compound lifts seemed intimidating to me at first... but I LOVE what they are doing for me all over.... and now look forward to kicking butt at the gym 3x a week for lifting, and a little cardio on the off days

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_8190.jpg
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Top tip that worked for me. I got a body brush and twice a week in the shower I scrubbed my whole body, particularly focusing on my thighs in circular motions. After losing weight and doing this for 2 months the cellulite in noticeably reduced.

Everyone has also commented on how lovely and soft my skin appears as well.

Now when I sit with my legs crossed I no longer get that horrid lumpy dimply bulge. I am happy with the results now!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

It is not gone, but i will tell you lifting heavy (for me) has made a marked difference.

I started this at 40, and yes squats and the other compound lifts seemed intimidating to me at first... but I LOVE what they are doing for me all over.... and now look forward to kicking butt at the gym 3x a week for lifting, and a little cardio on the off days

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_8190.jpg

^ This. And damn fine work there Crankster!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have battled cellulite for 15 years (I'm 30 now) and this is the first time I have seen any improvement. I have been thin, skinny, overweight and am now fairly slim again, and the whole time my cellulite stayed the same. BUT I have been doing 50 squats a day for a month, and body scrubbing (towards the heart) and finally its improving. Whether or not it will disappear I don't know, but the squats are certainly helping!