Fairly new here ...How does one find out their TDEE. Thanks in advance

goofy I used a website http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RobynBrockerville
    Options
    How much you burn during exercise has to do with your metabolism and very much has to do with your body weight, lean muscle mass and genetics.
    For example, my roommate and I both did the same circuit training yesterday, I burned around 500 kcal, she burned 750kcal there three inches in our height and a difference in our body weight. i.e. if your smaller its true you dont burn the same cals for the same amount/type of exercise
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a month. It works for me. I was losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for A YEAR! I've finally gotten below that. I'm losing 0.5 lbs per week and I've been on schedule since I started TDEE - 15%. Thats all I can say is that it works for me. Might as well try it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. I'm a little taller at 5'5, but I'm also 40 years old, and I lose easily on 1800-2000 calories a day, and maintain around 2300.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My TDEE minus 20% has me at 1737. I am terrified, but will eventually work my way up to that number
  • saudade88
    saudade88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid! Give it a try, you won't be sorry, I promise!!! :)
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    www.fat2fitradio.com/tools

This lets you calculate your BMR, TDEE and use three different methods for body fat percentage calculations so you can get a pretty accurate TDEE. If you use the "in place of a road map" articles advice you put in your current weight in the current weight section as well as current weight in the GOAL weight section to calculate your current TDEE. Otherwise you get what your mainenace would be if you put in a goal weight as they suggest.
    TDEE incorporates exercise calories, MFP does not.
    With this method they encourage you to eat more and exercise to burn calories and lose fat/gain muscle.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. I'm 5' 3" and have lost all my weight eating between 1750-1900 calories a day.1700 for a 20% cut doesn't sound unreasonable.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Well anyone want to make this a group and keep each other posted on our results? I weigh in on Thursdays
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    www.fat2fitradio.com/tools

This lets you calculate your BMR, TDEE and use three different methods for body fat percentage calculations so you can get a pretty accurate TDEE. If you use the "in place of a road map" articles advice you put in your current weight in the current weight section as well as current weight in the GOAL weight section to calculate your current TDEE. Otherwise you get what your mainenace would be if you put in a goal weight as they suggest.
    TDEE incorporates exercise calories, MFP does not.
    With this method they encourage you to eat more and exercise to burn calories and lose fat/gain muscle.

This is pretty awesome! Thank you for posting this. I did the body fat calculator and figured out my goal body fat, at first my goal was to get to 119lbs, but my LBM is 114lbs, so my goal weight they gave me was 142. That seems pretty high for someone 5'2 but I guess if I looked thin I wouldn't care so much
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    I ate my 1700 calories yesterday. Went to the gym and lifted some weights and then got on the elliptical for 250 calorie burn. I have to admit I feel pretty good today and it was alot easier trying to eat 1700 calories than 1200. I even enjoyed a cup of chocolate milk after my work out. Tonight is Insanity Pure Cardio, I should have more than enough energy for it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and eating 1600 a day. I was scared to up it, too. But it turns out that the most intuitive calorie plan for me - I don't have too think too hard about calorie placements, I can just comfortably eat around that. That alone is worth upping it for.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and eating 1600 a day. I was scared to up it, too. But it turns out that the most intuitive calorie plan for me - I don't have too think too hard about calorie placements, I can just comfortably eat around that. That alone is worth upping it for.

How much are you exercising?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you could always bump up halfway to say 1450 and see how that goes and then go to 1700...

with the increased calories you may see a slight gain for a week or so due to water retention....

good luck to you ...
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not going to gain with this amount of calories! A 5'2'' person who weights 158lbs and exercises 3 times a week needs around 1900 to maintain. 1700 puts you in the deficit. Give it a try for a couple of weeks and then adjust accordingly.

She is right because mine is about 1545 calories, and I'm 5'1."
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I get myself confused.....so if I follow Scooby's TDEE -20%, I am not attempting to eat back any exercise calories? Is that correct?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm 5'2 and I usually eat at least 1800.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

How much are you exercising?

Not much at the moment. Maybe a couple of hours of Pilates a week, about 15-20 minutes a day or so. I take a couple of days off in the week. I was also doing cardio, but dropped that recently due to an injury. So the number on the scale has slowed but my clothes continue to fit better and better and my muscles are getting tighter.

I was doing Pilates AND running several miles a week before, so that bump to 1600 was really nesscary. But even with cutting back on the activity, it still turns out to be a really positive thing to eat that much.