need help at gym

Options
im 37 years old just started back at the gym and need some help with what excercises to do i go on the tread mill but dont feel like im getting a great workout.

Replies

• 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Add some incline to that treadmill and that might help. you definitely want to keep up the cardio. Switch it up every so often by doing a bike or elliptical. You need to add strength training too. Maybe try a circuit at first....they are structured and kind of take the guess work out of what to do. Or you can look up online a basic strength workout. Does your gym offer a personal trainer to get you started? I go to planet fitness and you can sign up for free to have a trainer go over your goals and set up a routine for you.
  • keya729
    keya729 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    im 37 years old just started back at the gym and need some help with what excercises to do i go on the tread mill but dont feel like im getting a great workout.

Have you tried the elliptical, it's an all around exerciser that burns a lot for me. Even doing some free weights can help.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Post what exactly you are doing on the treadmill. For example, when I get on there I run HIIT..so if you can provide us what you exactly do on the treadmill perhaps we can assist you a little better. I am by no means an expert but I can tell you what works for me.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    check out www.stronglifts.com

IMO strength training is a must and this is a great place to start with compound moves. Check out the videos and make sure you get form down before you start adding in weight.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell too! I love it! It's a crazy good workout and I think it's a blast. On average it burns about 20 cals per minute when done properly
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Do you lift at all? If not, you should! The dreadmill will only take you so far. Start building some muscle and let the muscle burn the fat. Google "Stonglifts 5x5" This is a great program and forces you to keep increasing weight and making progress.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Which gym do you go to? If you go to planet fitness you can get someone to show you the machines for free. Honestly, I would hire a trainer to show you the correct forms and plan a routine for you. You can injure yourself easier that you think if you try to do too much, too heavy, too fast. I would try some circuit training too. That will kick your butt! haha

If your hell bent on strength training without paying for a trainer, I would start off with the floor machines because it seems like dumbbells, barbells and free-weights require a little more education. When I first started out all I did was floor machines until my body got used to it and I moved on to new stuff after about a year. I still use both methods to trick my muscles.

I hope that helps.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    if you don't like the treadmill, you could try the elliptical or arch trainer(I feel like i'm going to fall off a self propelled treadmill...) with the arch trainer if I don't feel like I'm getting a good work out I just up the incline at max incline it's like stair climbing... n then up the resistance... I usually do this for 3-5 minutes as a warm up- then hit the weights or resistance machines.*points to the strong lifts references* Good luck n remember- doing anything is better than nothing, you got started now you just gotta find your groove. :)
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Check out nerdfitness.com. He posts some "sample workouts" both with and without weights. His body weight routine really kicks my butt. I never liked the treadmill or felt like I was getting a good workout on it, either. I actually think they only stay around because they've somehow convinced people that they SHOULD be using a treadmill...
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    do a hour of weights first and then hit the dreadmill for 15 min of steady incline walking....
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I concur with the StrongLift crowd, or Starting Strength, but SL 5x5 is much simpler to grasp for beginners. I screwed around with cardio and resistance machines for two years with no real results. I started lifting heavy 3x/week four months ago, with very little cardio (1/week at most) and I've lost nearly 30lbs and dropped body fat by 10%. Do t. Do it.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I actually think they only stay around because they've somehow convinced people that they SHOULD be using a treadmill...

It's because of the Fitness-Industrial Complex man! Conspiracy!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

Yeah I have to agree too. I got a book with a program laid out for me (New Rules of Lifting for Women) and I started it last week. I definitely would've been lost at the gym, and especially the weights section, without doing a program that tells me what I need to do.

I think that doing at least a couple days a week of cardio is important too for heart health/endurance.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Dead lift, Bench Press, and Squats. Eat lots of green stuff, lean meat, and stay away from simple carbs. After 3 months of that change things up. Always great to hit the basics when you get back into things.